Z50 Low Light Shooting

When winter comes, most of my photography is done indoors at family get togethers. I had the opportunity tonight to see how the Z50 would do in difficult light. Some of our kids and grandkids were over having fun. I put the 35 f1.8 dx f mount lens on the camera with the FTZ. I set the ISO to auto with a limit of 6400 and a minimum shutter of 1/125. I think I was at f2.5 for most of the shots. I put the camera on face/eye detect. I'm very happy with the results. Yes, there is noise, but it is very fine and doesn't diminish the photos in my opinion. This small, lightweight camera will be a keeper for these types of events for me. Candid and informal family photos are what means the most to me and having a camera that is easy to use on the spur of the moment and not intimidating to the kids is essential. I'm so glad that there were cafe members who tried out the Z50 and shared their love of it with me. I brushed it off because it didn't have IBIS. But I don't think that will be a problem at all because the high ISO performance is so good.

#1 At the age where smiling for the camera doesn't come easy......

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 When you play Sorry with a five year old boy

#3 Card game fun

#4 Watching a funny video

#5 He's thinking very hard....

#6 Take my picture, Grandma.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Terri, I know how fantastic 1 grandkid (Emma) can be.
But you're blessed with all of them.

Fantastic pictures
Klaus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm impressed, I assume no NR SW applied ?
cute kids and well done candids
On a couple of them, I slightly increased NR in Lightroom, but not much. The noise is very fine. Sure hope you are doing well, Randy. I've had plenty of GI problems in my lifetime. I'm sure not as severe as your current issues, but it is just miserable when you can't eat. Cream of Rice is my best friend in those situations......not much better than green beans and mashed potatoes, though.

Real Name
Randy
On a couple of them, I slightly increased NR in Lightroom, but not much. The noise is very fine. Sure hope you are doing well, Randy. I've had plenty of GI problems in my lifetime. I'm sure not as severe as your current issues, but it is just miserable when you can't eat. Cream of Rice is my best friend in those situations......not much better than green beans and mashed potatoes, though.
thanks Terri
home 8 days and it continues, just had a virtual call with GI doc, he is baffled and I keep losing weight, trying some new meds today

I'm a bit late in spotting this thread Terri, but this are excellent.

Honestly, the noise is not that noticeable. If you wanted to see about getting rid of it all together, Topaz Denoise handles the Z images (and most others too) quite well. I use it as a LR add-in.

I have not played with eye-AF, but it appears to have worked great in image 6! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a bit late in spotting this thread Terri, but this are excellent.

Honestly, the noise is not that noticeable. If you wanted to see about getting rid of it all together, Topaz Denoise handles the Z images (and most others too) quite well. I use it as a LR add-in.

I have not played with eye-AF, but it appears to have worked great in image 6! :)
Thank you, Phil. I will have to download a trial version of Denoise and see what I think!!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom