Z50 or Z6

I'm considering returning my z50 and getting the z6 with the 24-70. There's a great deal on a refurbished one with the kit lens. Thoughts?

Better EVF, higher capacity battery, sensor dust reduction, IBIS with all lenses. A lot to like! Only downside is only 10 MP when DX lenses are mounted, if you might want to use DX lenses.

I've sold my old gear and am looking for something permanent, durable, and expandable. I have the z50 but I'm not in love with the plastic mounting of the kit zooms.

Real Name
David
I've sold my old gear and am looking for something permanent, durable, and expandable. I have the z50 but I'm not in love with the plastic mounting of the kit zooms.
If you're in the return period I would return it.

The Z50 is nice bit of kit. But I really see it as either:
  1. A small companion to the other Z's / DSLRs
  2. An alternative to those looking at a D3500/D5600 and would most likely be satisfied with just the two lens + plus a prime or two.
Based on "permanent, durable, and expandable" the Z6 or Z7 are probably better options (though mainly it's the expandable part).

I agree about the Z50 as a companion camera as I may pick one up for travel to compliment my Z6 kit. The Z6 with 24-70 f/4 S is a great package and good place to start for what you describe.

If you're in the return period I would return it.

The Z50 is nice bit of kit. But I really see it as either:
  1. A small companion to the other Z's / DSLRs
  2. An alternative to those looking at a D3500/D5600 and would most likely be satisfied with just the two lens + plus a prime or two.
Based on "permanent, durable, and expandable" the Z6 or Z7 are probably better options (though mainly it's the expandable part).

I've decided to return it and have already ordered the refurbished Z6 with the kit lens ($1,700 and it was refurbed by Nikon). I also have the 50 1.8 Z lens so I think I will be just fine for now..

Real Name
Steve
I added a Z50 to replace my Fuji X100F. So far it is a decent camera, but the X100F is an awesome little thing. I'm weighing its awesomeness versus the compatibility of the Z50 with my other Nikon gear. Tony-b and I hit Viera Wetlands this past weekend and my sole purpose was to get a good bird shot with the Z50 and my 200-500...

View attachment 1653904

If money was mostly not an issue, I would go with Z6 for additional controls and available lenses.

I'm looking at the Z50 myself for travel, mainly due to cost. I would consider the Z6 and lenses for travel (maybe) that Z50 is SO portable from the looks of it. Either of them I would have other uses for too.

I also have a collection of DX lenses and a D500, so a Z50 for me I would already have some flexibility with the FTZ adapter.

For me its the cost right now, a Z6 and lenses to go with it for my personal use is a bit steep right now, especially since I have DX glass I could use with Z50 without sacrificing resolution.

I am looking at the Z50 as a backpack camera to clip on my pack with the Peak Design clip for QUICK grab of the camera. I have the D500/D850 but hiking and climbing as we do, the other 2 bodies are too heavy. I may do the 30 day trial and see how it works, but need something lighter that wont break the bank.

Real Name
Steve
Stopped by a local restaurant to photograph a last-minute menu addition and two of the staff jumped in front of my Z50 for a quick snap (who could say no?). Z50 with the Z7's 24-70 kit lens... OMG, no IBIS!!

DSC_0431b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0429b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Just got the Z6. I really like the beefier feel as I carry it. The Z50 seemed toy-like in comparison, although I know it's a great little camera. I will only carry one, and I think this is the best solution for me. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

I'd completely agree with you. I could not consider a Z50 as an "only" camera. A D500 I could, oddly.
Even more oddly, I could live with only a Fuji X100F.
Yep, small and light, I decided a Z50 is ideal for travel (and when I need silent shutter and other go light situations). I would personally not want it as an only camera though. I just ordered and don't even have it yet though, but for event and other various situations, not sure I would like shooting with such a small camera. Use and time will tell, but I agree, I don't think it would be an "only" camera for me either.

Real Name
David
Stopped by a local restaurant to photograph a last-minute menu addition and two of the staff jumped in front of my Z50 for a quick snap (who could say no?). Z50 with the Z7's 24-70 kit lens... OMG, no IBIS!!
Those are hardly shot where IBIS should make any difference. IBIS isn't everything, but it does make some shot possible that might not be without it (shutter speeds, angle, etc). It also helps by keeping the image in viewfinder steady. The hard part is not getting lazy when you have it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom