Z50 or Z6

Real Name
Mike Ganey
I've decided to return it and have already ordered the refurbished Z6 with the kit lens ($1,700 and it was refurbed by Nikon). I also have the 50 1.8 Z lens so I think I will be just fine for now..
I was in a similar situation. I started with a Z6 w/ kit lens, sold it for a Z50 2-lens kit, and just sold the Z50 to return to Z6. The Z50 is an ideal travel camera, with good battery life. But it lacked the plug for a Solmeta GPS unit or remote shutter release, so I am moving back. Two great cameras, maybe for different consumer segments and usage, but you can't go wrong with either. Find what works for you.

Real Name
David
Those are hardly shot where IBIS should make any difference. IBIS isn't everything, but it does make some shot possible that might not be without it (shutter speeds, angle, etc). It also helps by keeping the image in viewfinder steady. The hard part is not getting lazy when you have it.
I agree. Technology should enhance good technique, not replace it.
That was my point, albeit poorly made.
And neither did I.

Here the first three examples where IBIS made little difference in how steady the final shot is (all at 1/1000 - 1/8000). But all at angles and in the cold so that IBIS allowed me to hold it steady and frame the image. The last were IBIS allowed me to shoot at 1/25 with a 56mm (112mm eq).

Attachments

• P1140024.jpg
    P1140024.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 89
  • P1190075.jpg
    P1190075.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 105
  • P1300093.jpg
    P1300093.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 101
  • P4290166.jpg
    P4290166.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 95
Real Name
Andrew
I love my Z6. The more I use it, the more it is becoming a favorite, even getting close to usurping the favorite position of my Nikon Df.

If it were just manual focus lenses I cared about, I would sell off my Df...but alas, I have some old vintage screw AF lenses that I like to use and the Df works great with them.

I feel that Nikon has made a great choice in what it did with the Z6 and Z7. They went in the middle of the pack and made their newest mirrorless technology accessible to everyone. They now have room to expand into the more "pro" areas and into the consumer areas with more affordable FX cameras and, as we have seen affordable DX.

I wrote up a post a while back after getting my Z6. In case you are interested, here is the link to that article:

https://bestlightphotoblog.wordpres...0-4s-z-mount-lens-impressions-musings-review/

@cgandiaga From the sounds of it, you appeared to have made the right decision for you. Enjoy the Z6, it is a great instrument of light gathering!

I feel that Nikon has made a great choice in what it did with the Z6 and Z7. They went in the middle of the pack and made their newest mirrorless technology accessible to everyone. They now have room to expand into the more "pro" areas and into the consumer areas with more affordable FX cameras and, as we have seen affordable DX.

I agree! (y)

Right now I'm very happy with my Z6 but I can see myself also owning a Z50 sometime in the future as a lightweight hiking/travel camera.

My main concern at the moment is whether to keep or sell some or all of my current cameras (D750, D7200, D5500). They are all such great cameras I hate to let them go, but I've hardly used any of them since getting the Z6.

Real Name
Steve
I'm liking it more and more every time I shoot with it. Gonna buy a few more batteries and I would like a SmallRig grip/L-bracket for my pinky (or a Gariz case).

image002.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ah, the batteries. That's another reason to resist the Z50 for me. I can use the same batteries in my Z6, D750, and D7200, and I have quite a few. I don't like having to stock another variety for a Z50.

Why should you be any different than the rest of us poor souls.
NONE of my cameras share the same battery :(
Four cameras and four different batteries. More if you count the P&S cameras.​
And worse, the mirrorless camera drains the battery so much faster than a dSLR, that I NEED to have multiple spare batteries to get me through a day.
My D7200 battery would last me the entire weekend + Monday.​
My Olympus EM1 battery will last either 4 hours (most lenses) or 2-1/2 hours (with the 12-100).​

Latest threads

Top Bottom