Z50 + Quiet morning at Viera Wetlands...

Real Name
Steve
Not much going on, shot anything living just to experiment with Z50 and 200-500/1.4X. Some with, some without. Will add more to thread as I go through files.

DSC_0080b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0051b.jpg

DSC_0164b.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, not bad for as little as we had to work with today. This time last year we had amazing nests of heron with easy access. Not so much this year, hardly any activity. Still hopeful though.

Real Name
Steve
First outing with it, I'm sure I need to make many adjustments to get it dialed in, but thanks!
The second one is the 200-500 with the TC14e iii, almost maxed out, just to see how it held up. Not bad actually for a combination that typically gets mixed reviews.
I'm thinking that last one is a baby limpkin. There were some adults around, and the white spots on the breast look limpkin-like. It is cropped a bit more than the others and it shows.

Last edited:
Real Name
Steve
Not from me. I've used that combo on my D500 for small birds (warblers) with much success.
I was telling tony-b today that is seems like a vast majority of the wildlife shots that stop me in my tracks are shot with the D500/200-500. It was a tough decision to NOT get a D500, but I have committed to the Z system going forward. My Nikon guy, Burke Seim at Service Photo in Baltimore, steered me toward the Z50 over the D500 as well. I can't say I wouldn't grab one at a good price though...

Here is one from last year

Real Name
Andrew
Steven,

Those are very nice indeed. Doesn't seem the Z50 is limiting you at the moment. Good to see some shots with the Z50 in capable shooters hands. Makes me have a better appreciation for the DX Nikon mirrorless. I'm still not ready to get rid of my D500...but I've a feeling Nikon is moving in a good direction with Z mount and their first showing with the DX version is promising so far.

Real Name
Steve
I had a Z50 for a couple of weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I sent it back unimpressed. But I was comparing it to my Fuji X-H1. I think in my kit the better comparison is to my X100F, so I ordered another in a new mindset. In that regard it is more capable and interacts with more lenses and flashes. I sold the X-H1 to cover the Z50, but I was ready to part with it anyway.

Real Name
Andrew
I see in your sig that you have the Z mount 14-30. How do you like it so far?

I got a good deal on the Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 in f-mount and have liked it a ton on the Z and f mount cameras. I know that 17 is a far cry from 14mm...but I'm still holding out on the 14-30 for a while due to cross compatibility and cost.

Real Name
Steve
I’m not the best to ask. That lens is a capability thing for when I’m working. I’m not much on shooting landscapes but when a client wants all of their restaurant in a photo, I need to deliver, and the 24 end of the 24-70 might not cut it.

Real Name
Steve
I tried to remember the last time I shot the 14-30... it was an interior lobby for a regional lifestyle magazine. This is the shot, but it has been edited a good bit to remove distracting details like light switches and outlets. It was supposed to be the cover (that's why the top is darkened), but they switched to a shot I took with people inside the showroom.

SRH_6649b.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom