Z50 sensor and dust

Real Name
Leif
How does the Z50 sensor perform in terms of dust compared to other cameras that have sensor cleaning? I’m asking because I am considering a Z50 II, more commonly known as the Zfc. I don’t change lenses often, but I generally change them a few times during a walk in the countryside, and the last thing I want to do is touch up images to remove dust. However, the flippy screen is really appealing as I often shoot low down in portrait and landscape format. My D500 can be a real pain in this situation.

I had a D200 and the sensor attracted dust. It was a pain as it needed regular cleaning. I have a D600, and although it has the improved shutter, it attracts dust, and the sensor cleaning is not very effective. I have a D500 and it’s marvelous, the sensor cleaning works very well.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
All the Z camera’s are prone to sensor dust. First the hole is bigger, second the sensor is closer to that big hole, third there’s no mirror to run interference when you’re changing lenses. Get used to cleaning your sensor - it’s just a fact of life in these new ML camera’s. Sensor cleaning is not (or should not be-) a big bogey. Get the right gear, and get onto it.
My personal regime is to use an aerosol vacuum regularly, and sensor wipes when necessary. The vacuum usually does the job. I never use air blowers, you’re just pushing the dust around inside the camera.

Real Name
Andrew
I would never use an aerosol anything with the sensors. There is risk of propellant getting into the sensor.

If done properly, a rocket blower is the safer option. Dry sensor sweeping and wet sensor sweeping can then be used if the rocket blower is not enough.

Real Name
Leif
Thanks all, perhaps Nikon decided that the sensor cleaning was of no great benefit then on the Z50?

I have a Giottos rocket blower. It somehow got dust inside, making it worse than useless. I’ve since cleaned it. That improved blower looks useful.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
The aerosol I use is a vacuum. It sucks, not blows. Brilliant
CE6E99CA-B999-4626-92ED-3833B96A2F96.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
#

Latest threads

Top Bottom