Z50 vs. D5500

I came across a great deal on a Z50 kit on Fred Miranda. Should arrive Saturday.
Congratulations! Good for you. I will be interested to see how the dynamic range handling is in comparison to your D5500. When we were at the beach last week I used both my Z6 and D5600 with different focal length lenses on each. We had full sun every day so the conditions were harsh. The Z6 handled the dynamic range so much better than the D5600. I would be interested to see how your D5500 compares with your new Z50 (once it arrives) in handling harsh lighting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I plan to use the Z50 primarily for situations where carrying something heavier is awkward. In addition, I have no macro lenses that will autofocus on my Z6, but I have two AF-S DX macros which should be a good fit for the Z50 (40/2.8 and 85/3.5).

And I'll be evaluating it for eventual use as my travel kit if we ever get to travel again. I think the Z50 with 16-50 and 50-250, supplemented with my AF-P DX 10-20, will be a very capable travel rig.

Last edited:
The Z50 arrived a day earlier than expected so I've already been out fungus-hunting with it.

DSC_2592.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_2598.jpg

It is really small and light! Gonna take some getting used to.

These are both handheld, composed and shot with the rear LCD.

Last edited:
Very nice, Jim.

Your experience with the Z6 will expedite your acclimation period. ;-)

Can't wait to watch your progression.
Thanks, Phil.

Those both look on the warm side. Is that just the kind of light you get under what I assume is a forest canopy?
I try to be careful to match the colors I see in the scene with what I see on the LCD by varying the Kelvin temperature. The camera was set too cool and I increased the temp, so I may have gone too far. But it was deep shade on a cloudy day. In fact, it poured rain on us for the last half mile of our walk.

Thanks, Phil.

I try to be careful to match the colors I see in the scene with what I see on the LCD by varying the Kelvin temperature. The camera was set too cool and I increased the temp, so I may have gone too far. But it was deep shade on a cloudy day. In fact, it poured rain on us for the last half mile of our walk.
I actually have a lot of trouble with colors. My left eye sees things with a warm (yellowish) cast and my right eye sees things with a cool (blue/whiteish) cast. I've known about this since college when I worked in a phototyping newsprint production room and kept printing on the wrong side of the paper!

Hence my affinity for B&W ;)

The Z50 seems like such a great complement to the Z6. I can definitely see adding one someday as a small, carry-everywhere camera. So nice that they share the same mount.

I actually have a lot of trouble with colors. My left eye sees things with a warm (yellowish) cast and my right eye sees things with a cool (blue/whiteish) cast. I've known about this since college when I worked in a phototyping newsprint production room and kept printing on the wrong side of the paper!

Hence my affinity for B&W ;)
Out of interest, if you allow me asking: do you see color casts in B&W as well? Meaning, differently with both eyes?

Now that you've had the Z50 for a while, Jim, could you say how you feel about the Z50 in comparison to your D5500. Is it worth the upgrade cost?
My response may not be useful to you as I got such a great deal. After all transactions were completed (sale of D5500+18-55 + 70-300DX; sale of FTZ) my net cost was only $375. It was well worth that.

I am extremely pleased with the Z50. On paper, the Z50 sensor and the D5600 sensor should be about equal. But I'm finding my photos with the Z50 and kit lens are much better than with the D5500+18-55. How much of that is attributable to the lens and how much to the camera I can't say. In addition, the Z50 kit is much more compact and feels significantly lighter. I can see it riding in a coat pocket when cold weather comes. Right now, it carries very comfortably in the fanny pack I showed on my other thread.

My advice would be to watch for a bargain on a used kit and be prepared to move when an opportunity presents. I think you will be pleased.

My response may not be useful to you as I got such a great deal. After all transactions were completed (sale of D5500+18-55 + 70-300DX; sale of FTZ) my net cost was only $375. It was well worth that.

I am extremely pleased with the Z50. On paper, the Z50 sensor and the D5600 sensor should be about equal. But I'm finding my photos with the Z50 and kit lens are much better than with the D5500+18-55. How much of that is attributable to the lens and how much to the camera I can't say. In addition, the Z50 kit is much more compact and feels significantly lighter. I can see it riding in a coat pocket when cold weather comes. Right now, it carries very comfortably in the fanny pack I showed on my other thread.

My advice would be to watch for a bargain on a used kit and be prepared to move when an opportunity presents. I think you will be pleased.
Thanks so much, Jim! You did come out really well!

... On paper, the Z50 sensor and the D5600 sensor should be about equal. But I'm finding my photos with the Z50 and kit lens are much better than with the D5500+18-55. How much of that is attributable to the lens and how much to the camera I can't say. I think you will be pleased.
I’ve had the Z50 for a few months now, and recently bought a Z5 with the 24-200mm in a kitted box. It ”was” a fantastic camera. However, only if I zoomed, and squinted real hard, could I see any apparent IQ difference. Sharpness was equivalent, and the Z5 difference was possibly better, only in the grey zones (dynamic range?). But I was guessing and pushing myself too hard in order to make a decision, so I returned it. Partly from buyers remorse and also because of cost.

That 24-200mm was pure joy on both cameras.

Last edited:
Hope this isn't infringing on your thread, Jim. But I got my Z50 today. I don't think I will miss my D5600. I still need to set up the camera, but so far, so good! We are trying to get ready for a little camping trip, so not much time to spend on the camera. I bought the camera used and only got the 16-50 kit lens with it. Time will tell whether or not I want the 50-250 lens.
DSC_0044.jpg
DSC_0061.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0045.jpg

Hope this isn't infringing on your thread, Jim. But I got my Z50 today. I don't think I will miss my D5600. I still need to set up the camera, but so far, so good! We are trying to get ready for a little camping trip, so not much time to spend on the camera. I bought the camera used and only got the 16-50 kit lens with it. Time will tell whether or not I want the 50-250 lens.
You're getting excellent results already, Terri, as I expected. I think you'll really like it.

Excellent photos, Pa and Terri. Glad that you’re doing well with the Z50. For some things, less is more. I think this camera really hits that spot. It’s with me on every camping trip. I love it for walking around taking pictures of my wife’s flower gardens, yard ornaments, birds, bugs, and insects. It’s almost as unobtrusive as an iPhone.

Oh, and the Z50 has great image quality; right at the top of crop sensors.

Attachments

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom