Z50 vs. D5500

Yesterday I went for a hike with my wife looking for colorful or otherwise interesting mushrooms. These are among my favorite subjects to photograph. Instead of my Z6 and 24-70, which I have used almost exclusively for the past year, I took my D5500 with 40mm f/2.8 micro lens. I've used that combo with great success for this and similar subjects, and it is very light, easy to carry, and user-friendly.

But I missed some of the features of the Z6, such as being able to judge exposure and white balance before clicking the shutter, and a dedicated tripod mode (U2 in my settings).

On the way back down the mountain it occurred to me that I could replace the D5500 with a Z50 and still use the 40 micro on the FTZ. The Z50 is slightly smaller and about the same weight as the D5500. Great idea!

Then I realized that I would miss the swing-out and swiveling rear LCD. That is very convenient for photographing subjects near the ground, especially with the touch-focus-and-shoot feature.

Also, it doesn't offer IBIS nor focus-shift shooting like the Z6. But neither does the D5500. Nevertheless, the trade doesn't seem so compelling any more.

Can you folks think of other factors, pro or con, that I should consider?

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
The future? The Z50 will be able to use more of the future z-mount lenses. Plus the 16-50 and 50-250 Z mount DX lenses both have VR, so you get your stabilization there if you need it.
You may also be able to get some of the Z mount AF extension tubes and use one of the native Z mount lenses as your macro.

I've not used them for the Z, but I have used and still won the Meike AF extension tubes for Fuji X. They work great on all the lenses from the "cheap" kit lenses to the "pro" primes. It retains all features of the native lens - full automated exposure controls, auto focus and VR.

Unless there is a strong use case for the fully articulating screen, then maybe the tilty flippy screen would be enough. Not to mention that the touch focus/shutter release is way better on the Z cameras than any of Nikon's DSLRs.

I think the matter truly is this - is the cost of the Z50 going to give you enough value over the kit you already have?

Thanks for your thoughts, Andrew. I already have the Meike extension tube set for Z-mount, but don't use those tubes as much as I thought I would. Partly it is the very shallow focus range they impose.

The fully articulating screen is mainly helpful for ground-level photography in portrait mode, which is the natural mode for many subjects I photograph.

I do not know if the Z 50 offers everything the Z 6 does, but...

I missed a useful screen when using my new mini tripod near ground level too! My solution so far with both FX Z cameras:
I use my mobile phone via WiFi. Don't even have to use timer to activate the shutter without shaking.

SnapBridge

Used WMU before, to transfer images from camera to phone, but that won't control the Z 6 and Z 7 to shoot with. And SnapBridge is faster at transfering images, I found.

I have also used SnapBridge, but have tried out something called "Cascable". It seems to be a bit more capable than SnapBridge.

OK. I might give it a try.

I'm with you: setting up the connection needs too many buttons to be pressed. I normally keep WiFi turned off on the mobile amd the camera in Airplane mode to safe on battery - my fault. But from there, of course, it's a clicking orgy.

I moved from D5500 to Z50. I find Z50 much more enjoyable to shoot with. From a shooting perspective, dual control wheels plus the U1, U2 settings not offered on D5500. Also the viewfinder is far, far nicer. The screen flips out fine for near the ground shooting (just not as nice for selfie mode or for storage and perhaps not as easy for portrait mode). For a travel cam, the Z50 is great with the tiny kit lens.

Cons...none really for me. I mainly use the two lens kit plus the 10-20mm with FTZ.

If I was regularly photographing mushrooms in the wild, I wouldn't think of doing it without the use of an articulating screen. Nikon's reasoning for including articulating screens in the D5xxxx line but not in the otherwise more advanced D7xxxx line has always baffled me. In that regard, the D5xxxx line is even more advanced than the Z6 and Z7. Completely baffling to me.

If I was regularly photographing mushrooms in the wild, I wouldn't think of doing it without the use of an articulating screen. Nikon's reasoning for including articulating screens in the D5xxxx line but not in the otherwise more advanced D7xxxx line has always baffled me. In that regard, the D5xxxx line is even more advanced than the Z6 and Z7. Completely baffling to me.
+1

Really annoying to get a low level tripod shot with the Z 7 when in portrait orientation.

What about a 60mm Micro-Nikkor with an adapter on your Z6? Would that be close enough in size/weight compared to the 40mm on an adapter on a Z50?

--Ken

I had thought of that. But:

Z6+FTZ+60/2.8 => 585+135+425 = 1145gm

D5500+40/2.8 => 470+235 = 705gm

Z50+FTZ+40/2.8 => 450+135+235 = 820gm

By comparison, a Z6 + 24-70/4 S weighs 1085gm.

The weight creeps up.

At this moment I'm reading Thom Hogan's review of a new Chinese-made 60mm macro designed for Nikon Z-mount DX. It's manual focus only and sells for $159 at B&H. He doesn't give it a sterling review, but ends by saying:

So it's difficult not to recommend this lens at its price. Until Nikon starts delivering autofocus macro lenses for the Z mount, this lens will keep me happy for close in subjects.

The problem is weight: 550gm!

Latest threads

Top Bottom