Z6 + 70-200 for male cardinal even in manual focus seems to be OOF

EFCS? this is my first telephoto
Electronic First Curtain Shutter - Here's a good resource: Kasson Z6/7 Gotchas and fixes
It doesn't have anything to do with telephotos per se just general practice with mirrorless cameras.

Which 70-200 is that?

We'll get this figured out . . .(y)

And honestly, birds are difficult subjects. They flit; they move; they jerk around; and the slightest wind can smear detail. Small birds are actually the hardest . . .

"Its a renewed from nikon"
OK, if this is a used/refurbished lens, which I am assuming from the terminology "a renewed lens," then this may be the problem right from the get-go, which is why I asked about that. The AF may need recalibration.

And, yes, anyone who has tried to shoot small birds will tell you that they're challenging, and then some!!! Last summer over a period of several weeks I tried shooting some sparrows who were on my deck feasting on the treats I'd left for them, and I think that out of hundreds of photos I shot I had maybe five "keepers." Seriously! I'm MUCH happier shooting the bigger birdies, the geese and the ducks and the herons and my beloved GBH! LOL!

Real Name
Bill
You said you're shooting through an open window. What is the temperature outside vs the temperature in the house/car? If it's cold out you'll get distortion from the heat leaving through the open window.

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
Electronic First Curtain Shutter - Here's a good resource: Kasson Z6/7 Gotchas and fixes
It doesn't have anything to do with telephotos per se just general practice with mirrorless cameras.

Which 70-200 is that?

We'll get this figured out . . .(y)

And honestly, birds are difficult subjects. They flit; they move; they jerk around; and the slightest wind can smear detail. Small birds are actually the hardest . . .
test shot across room on tripod f10 VR all switches off on lens I believe the AF s
test.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
ISO 100 2.8
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I been trying to find an app or somethig to locate focal point myself.. Im on tripod... let me try a couple on pinpoint and post
Keith - ViewNX2 which is a free download from Nikon will show you the focus point in your images. There is also a free plugin you can download for use with LR Classic: https://lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/ The plugin works pretty well but for the most part I prefer to toggle between ViewNX2 and LR. I hope this is helpful.

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
Keith - ViewNX2 which is a free download from Nikon will show you the focus point in your images. There is also a free plugin you can download for use with LR Classic: https://lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/ The plugin works pretty well but for the most part I prefer to toggle between ViewNX2 and LR. I hope this is helpful.
Thank you downloading nx2 now

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
This is looking sharp to me. I think the issue is technique and subject selection. While I have a 70-200 2.8 - I use it most for landscapes and architectural images. It is rather short for birds and heavy cropping negatively impacts quality.
ok IM shooting Z6 but for some reason focus point in NX2 is not showing anything?

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
What is your method for focus acquisition? Back button or shutter release. Do you get confirmation in the viewfinder focus is locked on?
I been working with back button focus and lock.... I even used manual but as folks said Im not used to using telephoto and shooting such a small birds..lol....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
STOP changing every thing! LOL!

Set you camera on AF-S (or AF-C if using Back Button /AF-ON button), single point focus, focus point in the center, shutter speed 1/500 or higher, f2.8, VR off, on tripod, with stationary subject. Just like the dart board. Elbows in, camera pressed lightly against face. Left hand resting lightly on top of the lens. Practice, practice, practice with different stationary subjects. When you get 15 out of 15 in sharp focus, then start trying large subjects that are moving slowly, like your dog....try focusing just on the eye(s).

Note: With back button focusing you need the camera set on AF-C. If you focus and release the AF-On button, your focus point is "fixed". If you continously press the AF-On button, the focus will be constantly re-focusing. I suggest getting used to keeping the AF-On button pressed, since even a slight head turn by a bird/dog/etc will require the camera to re-focus to maintain a sharp focus. when focused on the eyes and shooting wide open (i.e. f2.8)

Real Name
Tom M
I’ve had the AFS VR 70-200 f2.8G for many years. I never use VR, ever. Revisited using it many times and the conclusion was (original) VR causes slightly less sharp images. Technique is the key in my opinion.

ok IM shooting Z6 but for some reason focus point in NX2 is not showing anything?
Keith - Once you open NX2 you can view your images in the thumbnail grid by clicking on "view" in the task bar at the top of NX2 and then clicking on "thumbnail grid" or just use the Alt+0 keys. Once you are in the thumbnail grid you should see "focus point" [ ] in the task bar at the top of NX2. Just click on that icon and your focus points should show up for each image in the grid where focus was achieved. Another way to get there is to click on "image" in the task bar and click on "show focus point" or use the Ctrl+Shift+F keys. Once you've set up NX2 to view your images in the thumbnail grid, you can double click on the image you want to view in the full screen mode and just press the esc button on your keyboard to return to the thumbnail grid. NX2 will show your focus points for both NEF and Jpeg files. I hope that this is helpful.

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
Keith - Once you open NX2 you can view your images in the thumbnail grid by clicking on "view" in the task bar at the top of NX2 and then clicking on "thumbnail grid" or just use the Alt+0 keys. Once you are in the thumbnail grid you should see "focus point" [ ] in the task bar at the top of NX2. Just click on that icon and your focus points should show up for each image in the grid where focus was achieved. Another way to get there is to click on "image" in the task bar and click on "show focus point" or use the Ctrl+Shift+F keys. Once you've set up NX2 to view your images in the thumbnail grid, you can double click on the image you want to view in the full screen mode and just press the esc button on your keyboard to return to the thumbnail grid. NX2 will show your focus points for both NEF and Jpeg files. I hope that this is helpful.
ok this explains some of shots were already edited

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom