Z6 + 70-200 for male cardinal even in manual focus seems to be OOF

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
mcardinal1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
mcardinal2.jpg

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
I think manually focusing on a subject like that is very difficult. I would use autofocus and put the focus spot squarely on the bird's eye.
Whats odd is auto isnt hitting for some odd reason which is why I attempted manual.... The auto does fine on finches and other birds not sure if its cause the red or what..

there appears to be motion blur in the background, hard to tell on an online image.
If you have not shot with long glass before- there is a learning curve.
I agree something is going on, this lens is normally very sharp.
As recommended above up your shutter speed- shoot something that isn't moving that fast.
good luck!
gary

Possibly there is a problem, too, if you are shooting through a window as opposed to actually being in the same outdoor environment as the subject.

Is the lens new or used? Are you shooting handheld or with the lens on a tripod? Have you experienced OOF issues with other subjects?

I agree that upping the shutter speed can help significantly, as even on the ground, birds tend to move quickly and unexpectedly.

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
Possibly there is a problem, too, if you are shooting through a window as opposed to actually being in the same outdoor environment as the subject.

Is the lens new or used? Are you shooting handheld or with the lens on a tripod? Have you experienced OOF issues with other subjects?

I agree that upping the shutter speed can help significantly, as even on the ground, birds tend to move quickly and unexpectedly.
Its a renewed from nikon- shooting through open window on tripod autofocus seems to be fine on finches and female cardinal
female cardinal.jpg

Real Name
Keith Jalbert

Also im not sure Ive used AF single point and area... Maybe try pinpoint?... Birds may just not be my wheel house :)

Real Name
Andrew
I'd narrow down any user error by shooting a still subject first, S-AF. If the AF is spot on, then you can move on to wider AF settings like Wide Area AF (L) or Wide Area AF (S) with C-AF. Don't try to worry about focusing on the eye right away. For small birds like that it will be very difficult.

If you can determine that the AF is tracking properly, then we can narrow down to see if possibly the bird is moving too fast for the current settings(shutter speed mainly) or if something else is going on.

Could be an issue with low contrast as well.

https://cdn-7.nikon-cdn.com/Images/...nderstanding-AF/Media/Z_6_Autofocus_Guide.pdf

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
I'd narrow down any user error by shooting a still subject first, S-AF. If the AF is spot on, then you can move on to wider AF settings like Wide Area AF (L) or Wide Area AF (S) with C-AF. Don't try to worry about focusing on the eye right away. For small birds like that it will be very difficult.

If you can determine that the AF is tracking properly, then we can narrow down to see if possibly the bird is moving too fast for the current settings(shutter speed mainly) or if something else is going on.

Could be an issue with low contrast as well.

https://cdn-7.nikon-cdn.com/Images/...nderstanding-AF/Media/Z_6_Autofocus_Guide.pdf
thanks like I said Im just experimenting and trying my hand at something I dont normally shoot.. seemed to hit the female just right..
female cardinal2.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
As suggested, you really need to pick a stationary subject and get on tripod. AF-S.....only THEN can we judge if the lens is sharp. All of the above look a bit soft to me...............but I have NO idea what AF mode you used and where the focus point was.

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
As suggested, you really need to pick a stationary subject and get on tripod. AF-S.....only THEN can we judge if the lens is sharp. All of the above look a bit soft to me...............but I have NO idea what AF mode you used and where the focus point was.
I been trying to find an app or somethig to locate focal point myself.. Im on tripod... let me try a couple on pinpoint and post

In my experience, those initial shutter speeds (1/1250) should have been sufficient. I think there is something else going on and frankly even the female cardinal above lacks definition and the feather detail I would expect.

If you are shooting from a tripod and have your shutter speed above 1/500th or so, you can turn off the IS.
Are you shooting with EFCS enabled?
How cropped are these images?

Tape a newspaper to a wall and shoot it with it tripod mounted. It should be tack sharp.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I been trying to find an app or somethig to locate focal point myself.. Im on tripod... let me try a couple on pinpoint and post
You don't need pinpoint....just use AF-S. You need to reduce the # of variables.....

I don't know about the Z6....but I have used PhotoME in the past to see the focus point.

None of these photos look as sharp as I would expect if everything is right. Iy you are shooting from a tripod or your shutter speed is faster than 1/500 s be sure you have VR turned off on the lens, and preferably in the camera, to, as MNGlass suggested above.

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
None of these photos look as sharp as I would expect if everything is right. Iy you are shooting from a tripod or your shutter speed is faster than 1/500 s be sure you have VR turned off on the lens, and preferably in the camera, to, as MNGlass suggested above.
I was going to ask that being when I shoot at night I turn off VR and stabilization...not sure how to set up long lens for birds
setting.jpg

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
In my experience, those initial shutter speeds (1/1250) should have been sufficient. I think there is something else going on and frankly even the female cardinal above lacks definition and the feather detail I would expect.

If you are shooting from a tripod and have your shutter speed above 1/500th or so, you can turn off the IS.
Are you shooting with EFCS enabled?
How cropped are these images?

Tape a newspaper to a wall and shoot it with it tripod mounted. It should be tack sharp.
EFCS? this is my first telephoto

Latest threads

Top Bottom