Z6 and 24-70 Lens

After Christmas I'm thinking about buying a Z6 with adaptor. But wondered if the kit 24-70 f4 lens was worth paying the extra for. Or would I be better using my old 24-70 f2.8 Lens. I mainly want this set up for low light music gigs.

Real Name
Ian
The “kit” 24-70 is fantastic optically, but it’s still an f/4 lens.

If you’re using your f/2.8 lens wide open because you need the light, then an f/4 lens likely won’t do. But if you’re regularly stopping down to f/4 or beyond, then it’s a fantastic piece of kit.

The “kit” 24-70 is fantastic optically, but it’s still an f/4 lens.

If you’re using your f/2.8 lens wide open because you need the light, then an f/4 lens likely won’t do. But if you’re regularly stopping down to f/4 or beyond, then it’s a fantastic piece of kit.
Yes some venues are very dark, so wide open shooting is quite common, the only reason I'm thinking of the Z6 compared to my current D700 is for silent shooting, especially with classical gigs like the Harp.

Real Name
Ian
Yes some venues are very dark, so wide open shooting is quite common, the only reason I'm thinking of the Z6 compared to my current D700 is for silent shooting, especially with classical gigs like the Harp.
With silent shooting you need to be careful of banding due to the pulse frequency of the lights.

If you’re really interested in silent shooting indoor venues, a Sony A9 may be your best bet due to that sensor’s crazy readout speeds.

With silent shooting you need to be careful of banding due to the pulse frequency of the lights.

If you’re really interested in silent shooting indoor venues, a Sony A9 may be your best bet due to that sensor’s crazy readout speeds.
I will have a read up on this.

I was just going to mention that . . . I believe I read that the readout speed of the Z6 was in the range of 1/15 to 1/17 second. The Z6 does have flicker reduction but I don't know how practical or effective it is:
Z6 Flicker Reduction
And even in the manual they suggest you take test photos.

Some LED banding info:
Jim Kasson banding

Not going to make it any easier, but I think the Z6 is quieter than the Nikon DSLR even before silent mode. As you know going to an f/4 you’re losing light, but I will say the Z6 is so much better at high ISO then the D700 you came probably get away with upping the ISO.

Safest option, rent the combo from LensRental.com or some other place and test it out for a week before you buy.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom