Z6 and 24-70 Lens

Real Name
Barry
After Christmas I'm thinking about buying a Z6 with adaptor. But wondered if the kit 24-70 f4 lens was worth paying the extra for. Or would I be better using my old 24-70 f2.8 Lens. I mainly want this set up for low light music gigs.

Real Name
Barry
The “kit” 24-70 is fantastic optically, but it’s still an f/4 lens.

If you’re using your f/2.8 lens wide open because you need the light, then an f/4 lens likely won’t do. But if you’re regularly stopping down to f/4 or beyond, then it’s a fantastic piece of kit.

Yes some venues are very dark, so wide open shooting is quite common, the only reason I'm thinking of the Z6 compared to my current D700 is for silent shooting, especially with classical gigs like the Harp.

Real Name
Ian
Yes some venues are very dark, so wide open shooting is quite common, the only reason I'm thinking of the Z6 compared to my current D700 is for silent shooting, especially with classical gigs like the Harp.
With silent shooting you need to be careful of banding due to the pulse frequency of the lights.

If you’re really interested in silent shooting indoor venues, a Sony A9 may be your best bet due to that sensor’s crazy readout speeds.

Real Name
Barry
With silent shooting you need to be careful of banding due to the pulse frequency of the lights.

If you’re really interested in silent shooting indoor venues, a Sony A9 may be your best bet due to that sensor’s crazy readout speeds.

I will have a read up on this.

I was just going to mention that . . . I believe I read that the readout speed of the Z6 was in the range of 1/15 to 1/17 second. The Z6 does have flicker reduction but I don't know how practical or effective it is:
Z6 Flicker Reduction
And even in the manual they suggest you take test photos.

Some LED banding info:
Jim Kasson banding

Not going to make it any easier, but I think the Z6 is quieter than the Nikon DSLR even before silent mode. As you know going to an f/4 you’re losing light, but I will say the Z6 is so much better at high ISO then the D700 you came probably get away with upping the ISO.

Safest option, rent the combo from LensRental.com or some other place and test it out for a week before you buy.

As a years-long D700 shooter myself, you will really like the Z6.

The f4 lens is a great lens, but as stated, you’ll lose a full stop. I got one with the intent of just starting out with a native lens. I’m now finding that it’s a great travel/all around lens. If you do much shooting outside the music venues, I’d recommend it. You certainly can’t later buy one while saving the same amount you can with the kit.

The flip side is that BSI sensor. You’ll pick up more than the stop you lose at f4 with increased usable iso range. I’m finding I can easily use iso 6400 images with the Z6, where my cutoff with the D700 was around 2000. RAW, of course.

Real Name
Barry
Well I have just made a purchase, and went for the Z6 with 24-70 f4 and Adaptor so that I can continue to use my 70-200 VR1.

Got a good deal as well. Nikon promotion giving £360 off at point of sale, traded in a old G7 compact that I don't use anymore £50, the store had a trade in bonus of £150 plus the store had already reduced the bundle to start with. I paid £1699 for the kit.

The f4 kit lens that purchased as combo is a bargain and excellent f4 lens. I would go with it and add 35 or 50 1.8S depend on what you need.
I bought my Z6 as a kit and built up with Z 35, 50, 85 1.8S. (Use 24-70/4S and 35S most). Never regret and never plan to buy the 2.8 zoom.

Real Name
Andy
Well I have just made a purchase, and went for the Z6 with 24-70 f4 and Adaptor so that I can continue to use my 70-200 VR1.

Got a good deal as well. Nikon promotion giving £360 off at point of sale, traded in a old G7 compact that I don't use anymore £50, the store had a trade in bonus of £150 plus the store had already reduced the bundle to start with. I paid £1699 for the kit.
Congrats, Barry. Looking forward to seeing some of your results with the new kit!

Latest threads

Top Bottom