Z6 and aftermarket batteries

I put a "Watson" EN-EL15 replacement battery in my Z6 and got a message: "This battery cannot be used. It does not communicate properly with this camera...".

This battery has always worked fine with my D7200 and D750. Has anyone else encountered this with other aftermarket batteries?

I put a "Watson" EN-EL15 replacement battery in my Z6 and got a message: "This battery cannot be used. It does not communicate properly with this camera...".

This battery has always worked fine with my D7200 and D750. Has anyone else encountered this with other aftermarket batteries?
Also for the Watson batteries it seems that there are two types, the latest 2d type B&H claims is compatible with the Z7 (I am assuming the Z6 as well).
Some hints at the fact that the previous Watson compatible might not be.

Thanks for researching this, Morty. I had read about the built-in electronics but I doubt that is the problem since I've been using some 3 or 4 year old batteries from my D7200 and D750 which probably wouldn't have that. I haven't yet done the latest firmware upgrade but I did do the one before that.

I'm not sure but I think I have probably used this Watson battery in my Z6 at some time, so it may have been my most recent firmware upgrade that triggered the message.

MY Z6 Guide says:
  1. EN-EL15a/EN-EL15 batteries can also be used, but note that you may not be able to take as many pictures on a single charge.
I completely misread it,

they should work too.
I will have to go back and correct my previous posts.

My battery is a Watson B-3410. The one currently being sold by B&H is B-3410-2. It is 1900mAh vs. 1800 on my old one. This newer model probably has the necessary electronics.

My battery is a Watson B-3410. The one currently being sold by B&H is B-3410-2. It is 1900mAh vs. 1800 on my old one. This newer model probably has the necessary electronics.
That’s what I was thinking as well,
The new ones should work.

on a side note I was shocked by the price Nikon charges.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
I use EN-EL15 and 15a batteries from the D810 and all work perfectly, obviously only the Z-spec 15b accepts the in-camera charge; I’m never likely to use that. I have a twin charger that is USB powered that is tiny, charges two EN-EL batteries sequentially and being USB travels well, I can charge in the car, the boat or in an aircraft.

Latest threads

Top Bottom