1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Z6 ISO 51,200 !

Discussion in 'Nikon Z Mirrorless Forum' started by hotrod4x5, Apr 7, 2019.

1. I am simply amazed at this level of detail at max native ISO for the Z6. This is just a quick shot of my drink at work. Jpeg from camera with normal noise reduction set. 85 1.8g, 1/800 f/2.5. My desk area has pretty dim lighting. 100% crop and the whole picture. Maybe this isn't too exciting for owners of a D5 or D750 (not sure?) but my newest body is a D800, so I am over the moon ecstatic at how clean this is!
    51,200 crop2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    51,200 wb edit.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. BeerBelly

BeerBelly

Dec 18, 2013
    I owned a D750 before the Z6 and I have to say that at 12800 ISO and above you can really see the difference in favor of the Z6. And I'm talking about RAW files, without any noise reduction

3. The measured dynamic range at iso 12,800 is only 6% better. I would really be surprised if you could detect that visually in an A-B comparison.

4. BeerBelly

BeerBelly

Dec 18, 2013
    I know and agree with what you say, but somehow....the files are easier to work with and provide more detail. I changed to the Z6 for other reasons, IQ was never a problem for me with the D750. I don't have any direct comparisons (same photo and settings) and can't make them since I sold my D750 already...I can however post a RAW file from the Z6 with 16000 ISO...if anyone is interested?

For reference, the DPReview Studio scene comparison tool: Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  5. With a background in film, where the highest we had was iso 800 without pushing, then my first DSLR being a Canon 10d (noisy above 400), then Nikon d200 (almost useable 800), d300 (sort of useable 2000) and d800 (not bad at 4000, kind of useable 6400), being able to use ISO 51,200 is simply astonishing to me.

Anyway, when I was looking a few years ago for a new body, this type of post would have helped me, so I wanted to post my high ISO results for people considering the Z6.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I haven't tried shooting that high. But the high ISO shots I have made have impressed me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dallas P

Dallas P

Mar 21, 2019
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Dallas Pottinger
    I've been choosing the perfect aperture, whatever my whim is on shutter speed, and letting auto-ISO do its thing. I have yet to produce an image with unacceptable/uncorrectable noise. Quite delighted.

• Like Like x 3
  8. It's a game changer in many ways. Auto iso is truly useable now.

9. How do you feel about the camera so far?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm really enjoying it. It's so light, but still feels substantial. And the image quality is amazing. I've got a few feelers out to get the 24-70 f4, which I didn't get with the body, so I'm eager to see how much lighter it'll be without the adapter and using that lens.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I detect no difference between the D750 and Z6 at high ISO, which is to say I am very pleased with the Z6’s capabilities in this regard.

• Like Like x 1
  12. That's a great offer for anyone considering buying one!

13. That’s an awesome lens, you will love it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.