Z6 or Z7

For me, thats the only reason I would consider getting the Z7. I have 2 Z6's and my old D750, I would like a high megapixel camera just to have as an option when I need to do a job for a client that calls for it. Right now my professional work does not and the sweet spot of the 24MP is fine.

I guess the only other reason I could think of is to have some extra reach. Basically throw any telephoto on it in DX mode and you have an image equivalent (or close) to the Z6

Just to be accurate, the sensor on the Z6 is the same size as the Z7. The number of pixels are different. The Z50 has a physically smaller sensor (and fewer pixels as well).

In DX mode, the Z7 (DX is just shy of 19.5MPX) is closer in pixel count to a Z50 (~20.7MPX) than Z6 (24.3MPX).

Taking an image in full resolution with the Z7, then resizing it to Z6 dimensions improves the image noise to close to Z6 levels. If you don't want (or need) the full resolution (and consequent large file size) of the full resolution Z7, you can change to medium resolution and you basically have a Z6 file size. Even changing the image area to 1:1 on the Z7 still yields a file of 30mpx (5504 x 5504). All that is to say that if resolution is important to the images you want to capture, the Z7 is very versatile. Whether that versatility is worth the extra cost is really the central question.

I sometimes do the same: A Z 7 in 1:1 aspect ratio is like a Z 50 shooting landscape and portrait orientation at once, leaving you the option to decide later on. Shooting faster than 3:2 and changing to 2:3 every other shot.

A year or so ago, when I dived headfirst into the mirrorless world, the Z6 was the obvious choice, since I had, and was hanging on to, a beloved D850. I had the best of both worlds, and it has worked that way, mostly.
A couple of days ago, as I was counting down the last 7 days to my impending arrival at my 70th stage of life, I decided to simplify life and sell the D850 (and a couple of F-mount lenses (16-35 f/4; 50 f/1.8; and 24-120 f/4) and buy a Z7 to keep my Z6 company. Why?
To make things easier on me. Sure, the Z is lighter, smaller and does what I need it to do (and then some). But what pushed my the hardest was owning 2 cameras that have identical buttons, menus, etc. Since getting the Z6, about 80%+ of my shooting has been with the Z6. Sure, I have started shooting a more diverse range of stuff, and the D850 was pulled out only when I really needed the resolution. The other day I spent 15 minutes or more trying to figure out how to get focus peaking on the D850, before I, eventually, "remembered" that focus peaking is only a live view function with DSLRs :cool: . I often forget to press the OK button on the D850, having gotten so used the Z layout.
Long story short, I will soon own the Z6 and the Z7. I have 2 Z-mount S series lenses (24-17 f4; and 50 f.18) and kept my F-mount 200-500 and 70-200 f/4.
Life goes, on; life is good. What me worry?

I sometimes do the same: A Z 7 in 1:1 aspect ratio is like a Z 50 shooting landscape and portrait orientation at once, leaving you the option to decide later on. Shooting faster than 3:2 and changing to 2:3 every other shot.
Too bad Nikon doesn't let you do that with a DX crop lens. I have a Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DX that would be really sweet in that mode but Nikon forces DX 3:2, so I lose some when cropping to 8x10 output.

For me, thats the only reason I would consider getting the Z7. I have 2 Z6's and my old D750, I would like a high megapixel camera just to have as an option when I need to do a job for a client that calls for it. Right now my professional work does not and the sweet spot of the 24MP is fine.

I guess the only other reason I could think of is to have some extra reach. Basically throw any telephoto on it in DX mode and you have an image equivalent (or close) to the Z6

in addition to my post above, i would say native iso 64 on the z7 would be nice

A year or so ago, when I dived headfirst into the mirrorless world, the Z6 was the obvious choice, since I had, and was hanging on to, a beloved D850. I had the best of both worlds, and it has worked that way, mostly.
A couple of days ago, as I was counting down the last 7 days to my impending arrival at my 70th stage of life, I decided to simplify life and sell the D850 (and a couple of F-mount lenses (16-35 f/4; 50 f/1.8; and 24-120 f/4) and buy a Z7 to keep my Z6 company. Why?
To make things easier on me. Sure, the Z is lighter, smaller and does what I need it to do (and then some). But what pushed my the hardest was owning 2 cameras that have identical buttons, menus, etc. Since getting the Z6, about 80%+ of my shooting has been with the Z6. Sure, I have started shooting a more diverse range of stuff, and the D850 was pulled out only when I really needed the resolution. The other day I spent 15 minutes or more trying to figure out how to get focus peaking on the D850, before I, eventually, "remembered" that focus peaking is only a live view function with DSLRs :cool: . I often forget to press the OK button on the D850, having gotten so used the Z layout.
Long story short, I will soon own the Z6 and the Z7. I have 2 Z-mount S series lenses (24-17 f4; and 50 f.18) and kept my F-mount 200-500 and 70-200 f/4.
Life goes, on; life is good. What me worry?
Nick, I am in exactly the same situation as you. I cannot imagine parting with my D850 but using the Z6 most of the time, I go through a short learning curve every time I switch bodies. You reinforced the reasons why I will likely sell the D850 :cry::cry: and move on to the Z7, Z7s, Z8, etc. Still, will be a sad day. Wish I could keep both!

I like more ressolution so I got a z7. If I had bought a z6 I probably would have traded it in for a z7 by now. Stupid thiinking, I know, but I just thought I would let you know how I think. When I had Nikon DSLR cameras I always wanted the latest with the highest rez.

Nick, I am in exactly the same situation as you. I cannot imagine parting with my D850 but using the Z6 most of the time, I go through a short learning curve every time I switch bodies. You reinforced the reasons why I will likely sell the D850 :cry::cry: and move on to the Z7, Z7s, Z8, etc. Still, will be a sad day. Wish I could keep both!
It wasn't an easy decision to make, but it was pragmatic. As we age, we get better at pragmatic decisions, right? Well, had I been completely logical, I would have banked the $$$ from the sale of the D850 and lenses and used it to supplement Medicare! :cautious::cautious::cautious:
Heck, we only live once, and some of us have time to make up.

Real Name
Andy
I had both the Z6 and Z7 shortly after their release, but after a few months, sold the Z7. Too many pixels for my needs - I just don't print large enough to warrant the ponderously large files.

Real Name
Paul
I only recently got into Nikon, having shot Olympus M43 for the previous 8 years. So, it had to be mirrorless of course. I initially got a Z6 but I was a little disappointed with the sharpness, which lagged the Olympus EM1 Mk II when pixel peeking (there, I've admitted it!). The cause was the Z6's anti alias filter. So, I returned the camera and got a Z7, which is fantastic. I'm really enjoying the extra resolution for landscape shooting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom