Z6 Tethering Problems

Having problems tethering to Lightroom with my Z6. LR will not detect the camera no matter what I do. I have tried:

Memory card in and out
Tried a different USB-C cable
Looked around the menu for any settings which might affect the connection to no avail

My PC successfully detects when the camera is plugged in, but LR does not.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Running 2.2 Z firmware and computer is a Win10 64 bit laptop.

What version of Lightroom? Try deleting your preferences file. I use a Mac but I think the preferences file on Windows is at Users\(your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\ (I have Windows 10 running in a Parallels VM and took notes troubleshooting a problem with a previous Windows version of LR and that's where it was one version back).

Never tried into Lightroom, but I have had zero issues doing it into Capture One ver12 or ver20.
There are no in camera settings I can think of that you would need to check.

I don't use Lightroom but I've heard so much over the years about Lightroom's tethering issues that if tethering was important to me, I would purchase a standalone program that does the tethering regardless of the post-processing program being used. In fact, I purchased a wireless tethering product awhile back to help me view my tabletop scenes on a monitor rather than being limited to using the camera's LCD. That worked fine. I haven't used it in a long while but that's only because using it taught me what to look for on the camera's LCD.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
Following a call with Adobe, here is what I know:

MacOS Catalina 10.15 does not support tethering Nikon cameras to LR. The next update from Adobe will address the issue. No estimate on the date this update will be released.

Its also affecting Canon.
https://www.diyphotography.net/canon-cameras-cant-tether-with-lightroom-in-the-latest-macos-update/

It goes on to say, " What’s more, tethered shooting doesn’t work with Nikon cameras either, according to Adobe. When the camera is turned on after invoking the Start Tether Capture command, Adobe Lightroom won’t see it in MacOS Catalina 10.15.2. But there’s a workaround if you’re a Nikon shooter: turn your camera on first. Then, select File > Tethered Capture > Start Tether Capture and you should be good to go."

Real Name
Andy
Sadly, this...

But there’s a workaround if you’re a Nikon shooter: turn your camera on first. Then, select File > Tethered Capture > Start Tether Capture and you should be good to go."
...does not work. (Ask me how I know)

Also, after a lengthy tech support call which included having the agent remotely connect to my MBP, nothing solves the problem. Adobe concedes that they are aware it is a widespread issue.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
My friend who always shoots tethered Canons said he was able to use the Canon software to tether and push files into a live folder in LR. Tonight, time permitting, I’m going to install NXViewer (I think that’s the Nikon equivalent) and see if that capability exists for us.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Following a call with Adobe, here is what I know:

MacOS Catalina 10.15 does not support tethering Nikon cameras to LR. The next update from Adobe will address the issue. No estimate on the date this update will be released.
Capture One had an issue with tethering after a macOS update and they too had to release a fix.

First off, let me apologize for not responding for while. I got swept up by the holidays and fell off the Net for a bit.

I did figure out the issue and it turns out to be a LR issue, or maybe more accurately, a Creative Cloud issue. CC said that all my CC apps were up to date, so I figured I had the latest version. I tried various solutions, but no matter what I tried I could not get it to work. Over Xmas I was out of town, and was trying to get it to work on my laptop. Once I returned home I had a chance to try it out on my desktop and it worked fine!

I scratched my head a while, then I checked the version numbers of LR Classic on both machines. It turns out my desktop was version 9 while my laptop had version 6. I still don't know why this was since again, CC said everything was up to date on both computers. Once I forced an update to version 9 on my laptop, it worked fine.

So there you have it, mystery solved, but why CC thinks that different versions on different computers are "up to date" is beyond me...

Oh just as reference, both computers are PC's running Win10 Pro 64 bit.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom