Z6 to Z7

Real Name
Paul
Well, as you'll know from other posts, I recently got a Z6. There were many things I liked, but I couldn't help feeling that having made the step to FF, and being a landscape sort of guy, that I really should be availing myself of the best it can offer. So, after a brief "should I stay with Oly moment" (quickly dismissed by the announcement last week!), I decided to stick with the Z system but to go with the Z7 instead. So, the Z6 is back with the retailer and they are sending me a Z7 in return (plus some more cash on my part!). I've also got a 14-30 on order.

In some ways the Z6 was dipping my toe into the Z-system water, but the Oly announcement has served to accelerate my switch. I think I'll keep the EM1.2 with the 40-150 for long lens work rather than go with long FF lenses. The size/weight of the Oly combo is hard to argue with and for the little long-lens work I do, it'll be perfect.

I've also got an old EM10.2 and a few f1.8 primes (17, 25, 45) that I'll probably keep - but I can't help thinking sometimes that I should sell all that and just get a decent iPhone!

You'll find that the Z7 is like shooting the EM1-II in Hi-res jpeg mode full time without all the rigamarole of artifacts and stabilization ;).

If that 70-300 you have listed is the latest FX version (70-300 f4.5-5.6 AF-P VR) you may want to rethink keeping that Oly 40-150 (I assume it is the 2.8?). The latest FX 70-300 is really an excellent performer on the Z7 and I suspect no heavier than the Oly 40-150. I too would keep the Oly with a couple of primes just for the fun of it until Nikon comes out (if ever!) with their compact primes.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I made the big effort to go Z7 rather than Z6, because I know I would always be lusting after the Z7. I saved money that way.

Sadly, Olympus is a dead duck and best avoided, unless you do long lens stuff and are prepared to live without aftersales support in the very near future.

For once I read the runes and got out before the announcement.

I agonized when I started to be tempted by mirrorless, and I went with the Z6 even though I am primarily a landscape shooter, because I decided to keep my D850 for now. The Z6 has opened up all the other forms of shooting in ways I couldn't have imagined.

Real Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel very sad about the Olympus announcement. I know it’s just consumer gear, but when you’ve been using a system for 7 years as I have with Olympus gear, you get attached to it. However, I do think in some ways the Z system is the spiritual successor to m43 circa 2012. It’s not quite as compact, but it gets close with lenses under about 100mm, and feature wise (IBIS etc), it echoes the early days of the EM5.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards!

Real Name
Randy
I shoot a D500, D850 and a D5 and the Z6 has really impressed me. The 2 big improvements are the VF and focus accuracy. It's a fun camera to use and was just what I needed stuck at home for 4 months now:(

Real Name
Paul
You'll find that the Z7 is like shooting the EM1-II in Hi-res jpeg mode full time without all the rigamarole of artifacts and stabilization ;).

If that 70-300 you have listed is the latest FX version (70-300 f4.5-5.6 AF-P VR) you may want to rethink keeping that Oly 40-150 (I assume it is the 2.8?). The latest FX 70-300 is really an excellent performer on the Z7 and I suspect no heavier than the Oly 40-150. I too would keep the Oly with a couple of primes just for the fun of it until Nikon comes out (if ever!) with their compact primes.
No, it was the AFS version, and comparison shots against the 40-150 revealed a big optical gulf ! Nervous bokeh aside, the 40-150 (with or without the TC) is quite a spectacular lens.

No, it was the AFS version, and comparison shots against the 40-150 revealed a big optical gulf ! Nervous bokeh aside, the 40-150 (with or without the TC) is quite a spectacular lens.
I had both and quite agree. The Oly 40-150 was really a wonderful lens to handle. The newer Nikon 70-300 is in a different league though.

I purchased the Z7 first off as I didn’t want buyers remorse. Since then I’ve added a Z6. I find I’m using the Z6 more as the files are smaller. The Z7 has the 14-30mm lens attached. I basically use it for landscape. The Z6 I’m using with my other Z mount lenses.

Does anyone use the small raw format on the Z7? I read some wedding photographers use that setting on their D850 and I believe the Z7 has that same feature when you want smaller raw files.

Real Name
Paul
Does anyone use the small raw format on the Z7? I read some wedding photographers use that setting on their D850 and I believe the Z7 has that same feature when you want smaller raw files.
I need to get my head around all the raw file formats that Nikon offer. And then there's the 12-bit vs 14-bit argument. I understand that 14-bit is pretty pointless at ISO 400 and above since the extra data will be lost in the noise anyhow. However, I know that many people, if not most, struggle to see any difference even at lower ISOs.

Real Name
David
I would agree that for landscapes you're probably better off with Z7 over the Z6. I also agree with keeping both the E-M1 + telephoto and E-M10 + small primes. As good as the new 70-300 is, it's not the 40-150 f/2.8 Pro. And the Z7 with the adapter and lens is not going to as rugged as the E-M1.2 + Pro lens. And don't forget the 40-150 Pro can take either the 1.4 or 2.0 TC. And until Nikon actually releases the "compact" primes the only options are still pretty big.

The Z kit with the 14-30 and 24-70 f/4s is a compelling setup and Nikon has done a very good job showing what a small kit can be and it is tempting, it was even before Olympus' announcement.

Real Name
Paul
I would agree that for landscapes you're probably better off with Z7 over the Z6. I also agree with keeping both the E-M1 + telephoto and E-M10 + small primes. As good as the new 70-300 is, it's not the 40-150 f/2.8 Pro. And the Z7 with the adapter and lens is not going to as rugged as the E-M1.2 + Pro lens. And don't forget the 40-150 Pro can take either the 1.4 or 2.0 TC. And until Nikon actually releases the "compact" primes the only options are still pretty big.

The Z kit with the 14-30 and 24-70 f/4s is a compelling setup and Nikon has done a very good job showing what a small kit can be and it is tempting, it was even before Olympus' announcement.
I've been eyeing the Z6/7 with the 14-30 and 24-70 package for some time. It's a little bigger and heavier than the E-M1ii + 7-14 and 12-40, but there's not a lot in it - and you can put filters on the 14-30 which you can't on the 7-14. OTOH, as good as the 14-30 and 24-70 are, their corner performance doesn't match the Oly Pro equivalents. But, given the significant difference in sensor size and the fact that the Nikon lenses are hardly any bigger, it's pretty amazing just how well they do perform.

I need to take a look at the 70-300 AF-P at some point though.

Last edited:
Well, as you'll know from other posts, I recently got a Z6. There were many things I liked, but I couldn't help feeling that having made the step to FF, and being a landscape sort of guy, that I really should be availing myself of the best it can offer. So, after a brief "should I stay with Oly moment" (quickly dismissed by the announcement last week!), I decided to stick with the Z system but to go with the Z7 instead. So, the Z6 is back with the retailer and they are sending me a Z7 in return (plus some more cash on my part!). I've also got a 14-30 on order.

In some ways the Z6 was dipping my toe into the Z-system water, but the Oly announcement has served to accelerate my switch. I think I'll keep the EM1.2 with the 40-150 for long lens work rather than go with long FF lenses. The size/weight of the Oly combo is hard to argue with and for the little long-lens work I do, it'll be perfect.

I've also got an old EM10.2 and a few f1.8 primes (17, 25, 45) that I'll probably keep - but I can't help thinking sometimes that I should sell all that and just get a decent iPhone!
Hi Paul! I managed to return my E-M1 Mk III as I was just within the 14 day cooling off period. I now have the Z6 and 24-70/4 whilst I’m watching a few other lenses on eBay. One thing I found when I previously dipped my toes in to the Z system was that the Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 was surprisingly similar to the Oly 40-150mm pro:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Nikon lens extends, but in the bag there isn’t much difference and the whole “equivalence” means that you get the same subject isolation at the long end. The Nikon and FTZ comes in around the same price as a used 40-150mm Pro.

Real Name
Paul
Hi Paul! I managed to return my E-M1 Mk III as I was just within the 14 day cooling off period. I now have the Z6 and 24-70/4 whilst I’m watching a few other lenses on eBay. One thing I found when I previously dipped my toes in to the Z system was that the Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 was surprisingly similar to the Oly 40-150mm pro:

View attachment 1664939
The Nikon lens extends, but in the bag there isn’t much difference and the whole “equivalence” means that you get the same subject isolation at the long end. The Nikon and FTZ comes in around the same price as a used 40-150mm Pro.
Thanks for that Chris. My plan at the moment is to use the Z7 for landscape, cityscape and general photography with the 14-30 and 24-200 lenses, along with an adapted fisheye too. I'll be getting the camera in a kit though with the 24-70 so not sure whether I'll keep that or not yet. I may sell it and get the 35/1.8 as a low-light prime.

However, I don't see the Z7 as the best vehicle for telephoto use. For that I'm planning on keeping my EM1.2 with the 40-150 f2.8 + TC. The 40-150 is such a fantastic lens, it makes sense to keep it paired with the EM1.2 to give me a ready-to-go solution for aviation and wildlife if the need takes me.

I've also got an old EM10ii with the 17, 25 and 45 primes. That makes a great uber-small and unobtrusive kit for social events, so I'll keep that too - for what it's worth on the used market it's a bit pointless selling it. OTOH, if one of the manufacturers comes up with a sub-£1000 FF compact (akin to the Sony RX1ii or the Leica Q) then I'll dump them for that. Can't see it happening, but you never know...

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
At last, it's on its way! Christmas in July :)

1594119140396.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Paul
Well, it's arrived! Not had a lot of time to test it today, but all seems well. I did some quick and dirty tests on the 14-30 and it looks a great performer. No obvious decentering that I can see. This weekend is looking pretty busy (some great gliding weather in the UK this weekend!), so a more thorough test will have to wait until next week.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom