Z6 vs Z50 comparison

Thanks, Walter. I'll look into that.

I intend to post some comparison pictures after I take some more this afternoon.
I'm excited to read your comparison. I'm still very interested in the Z50. Trying to decide between the Z 85 f1.8 S or a Z50. Just checked today and the Z 85 f1.8 S is on backorder everywhere I checked so my decision might be easy. I've been using my D5600 a lot, but not having the EVF is such a disadvantage now that I am used to it on the Z6.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As a double check, I will usually try the color cast slider in the Pro contrast preset just to see if there is any unwanted color cast. 90% of the time there is no color cast.
Moving the slider to 100% on comparative images from the two cameras does make the colors match. But the color does not look accurate to my eyes.

I'm excited to read your comparison. I'm still very interested in the Z50. Trying to decide between the Z 85 f1.8 S or a Z50. Just checked today and the Z 85 f1.8 S is on backorder everywhere I checked so my decision might be easy. I've been using my D5600 a lot, but not having the EVF is such a disadvantage now that I am used to it on the Z6.
I doubt that I will post anything that you will find convincing. I'll just say that so far, I've seen nothing in the IQ that would cause me to choose one camera over the other. But I really haven't pushed the dynamic range on the Z50 yet.

I doubt that I will post anything that you will find convincing. I'll just say that so far, I've seen nothing in the IQ that would cause me to choose one camera over the other. But I really haven't pushed the dynamic range on the Z50 yet.
Thanks, Jim. I guess it's encouraging that you can't readily see a lesser quality image in the Z50.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Moving the slider to 100% on comparative images from the two cameras does make the colors match. But the color does not look accurate to my eyes.
That's the reason it is good to use a calibrated color profile. Our eyes can fool us! LOL! Also sometimes we want a color cast......cool, wintry, snowy shadows or warm sunrises or sunsets, etc. When shooting tropical birds in Costa Rica, the pro leading the workshop asked me how I got such accurate colors................

Here are a few images for comparison.

First, an iPhone shot of the setup:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That was actually yesterday after a brief rain shower, but I used the same setup today.

Z6

Z50

After color correcting in Color EFEX Pro...

Z6

Z50

Crops...

Those photos were made at the widest focal length for both lenses at f/5.6. I have similar at 24mm and 35mm, 35mm and 50mm, and 50mm and 70mm respectively, at f/5.6 and f/8. The above are just a small sample.

Those photos were made at the widest focal length for both lenses at f/5.6. I have similar at 24mm and 35mm, 35mm and 50mm, and 50mm and 70mm respectively, at f/5.6 and f/8. The above are just a small sample.
Thank you for sharing these. You were able to get the colors very close. To my untrained eye the image quality seems very similar.

This is more a comparison of lenses than it is cameras. The Z50 sensor is the D500 sensor, which is well respected and state of the art for APSC sensors. The 24-70S is justifiably highly ranked. But I have been very impressed with the performance of the little 16-50. It is very sharp in the center and focuses very closely. You can only open up to f/6.3 at 50mm, but that hasn't bothered me much so far. I think if I could travel now, the Z6 would stay at home for airplane trips.

Here's what Thom Hogan says about the 16-50:

"When you take the 16-50mm kit lens into account, things ratchet up another level. While the aperture specs don't look so hot for this lens, it performs well above its weight class. Indeed, I'd have to say that it's the best consumer mid-range kit zoom that goes to 24mm equivalent I've seen from any camera maker, and it makes some of the competitors look like pure optical garbage in direct comparison."

Here's what Thom Hogan says about the 16-50:

"When you take the 16-50mm kit lens into account, things ratchet up another level. While the aperture specs don't look so hot for this lens, it performs well above its weight class. Indeed, I'd have to say that it's the best consumer mid-range kit zoom that goes to 24mm equivalent I've seen from any camera maker, and it makes some of the competitors look like pure optical garbage in direct comparison."
Well said.

I have two complaints about the Z50, both concerning ergonomics. I have a hard time pressing the Fn1 or Fn2 buttons and rotating the sub-command dial at the same time. The space in there is just too narrow and deep.

Secondly, having the memory card slot in the battery compartment is somewhat awkward. You have to take the L-bracket off or move it far to the side to access the card.

For what it is worth, I really like the Z50. I had been looking for something like this for years. Tried the V2. Then Sony Nex 6. Finally, the Zo0 arrived.

I love the sharp images that the 16-50 lens renders, and I love the fact that the camera with, that lens, fits easily in a jacket pocket.

No, it's not perfect, but it is what I need to complement my D750.
Regards,
Ronald

I have two complaints about the Z50, both concerning ergonomics. I have a hard time pressing the Fn1 or Fn2 buttons and rotating the sub-command dial at the same time. The space in there is just too narrow and deep.

Secondly, having the memory card slot in the battery compartment is somewhat awkward. You have to take the L-bracket off or move it far to the side to access the card.
Thank you for letting us know of these issues. Their website says a Z50 and two lens kit is in stock at my local best buy. If I feel well enough I think I'll go handle it and see what I think. I can sell my D5600, but I love it's articulating screen. So I'm trying to figure out which way I want to go. I also like the 35 f1.8 dx lens on my D5600. I know I can use it on a Z50 with the FTZ, but that is an added step which is not always convenient. Decisions, decisions. Perhaps I should just be happy with what I have and call it good!!

Here is another comparison at approximately 50mm on the Z6 and 35mm on the Z50. In both, I slid the "Shadows" slider to 100% in DxO PL3. These are 100% crops. I think you can see that there is a bit more acuity in the Z6 image in the shadows. Look at the "Subaru" label.

Jim, what do you like about the Z50? Are you happy with it? If that question detracts from this thread please feel free to not answer.
I really like the small size and light weight, the fact that it has both main and sub-command dials, and I love the image quality. I am very happy with it, and have used my Z6 very little since getting it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom