Z6 vs Z50 comparison

I really like the small size and light weight, the fact that it has both main and sub-command dials, and I love the image quality. I am very happy with it, and have used my Z6 very little since getting it.
l also value small size and light weight and have been really tempted to add a Z50. I do wish the cards and batteries were the same as with the Z6. But I think if I saw a good deal on a lightly used one I’d have to get it.

In the meantime, I’ve set about giving myself the smallest and lightest options with the Z6, which meant adding a DX 16-50 (haven’t been thrilled with the loss of megapixels and may sell or hold for the Z50). I have since preordered the 24-50, which does look pretty small for an FX lens, and I intend to get the 28 and 40mm compact, when they come out.

Not that I always want to go small and light. In that case, I’d be on a different system. But I like having the option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A little off topic here, but I have revisited the white balance issue I brought up in my original post in a new thread in the General Technical Discussion forum.

Bottom line: I don't trust the Nik Color Efex 4 "Remove Color Cast" approach.

A little off topic here, but I have revisited the white balance issue I brought up in my original post in a new thread in the General Technical Discussion forum.

Bottom line: I don't trust the Nik Color Efex 4 "Remove Color Cast" approach.
I find it very useful to correct overall color casts. The six drop-down filters on the left combined with the strength and color sliders on the right allow me to fine tune very well.

I find it very useful to correct overall color casts. The six drop-down filters on the left combined with the strength and color sliders on the right allow me to fine tune very well.
Are you fine tuning for accuracy or just to achieve a pleasing result?

Both, depending on the shot. Although I more often use the DXO WB eye dropper if there is a neutral color. The big issue, which I don't have very often, is a green cast under tree canopy.

When I occasionally copy pictures for my wife, or my daughter's art work, I use a grey card and/or go by eye!

Yesterday I discovered that my Z 50 with kit lens will fit into a very compact fanny pack (Brits prefer "lumbar pack"). When walking with it I forget that it's there. No more shoulder/neck pain from a backpack or slingback!

Yesterday I discovered that my Z 50 with kit lens will fit into a very compact fanny pack (Brits prefer "lumbar pack"). When walking with it I forget that it's there. No more shoulder/neck pain from a backpack or slingback!
Now I had just got myself talked out of buying one and then you post info like this!! (I'm so glad you are sharing your experiences.) Is it a photography fanny pack? I'm so glad you have found something you can carry pain free. Makes photography so much more fun!

Last edited:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom