Z6 - Z7 Resources

I just bought a new card. I bought a Delkin 64 gb card. It cost $140 but it has a lifetime warranty. You register it with Delkin. If it ever fails they will send you a new one within 48 hours. My local camera shop said that they are equal to or superior in quality to the Sony cards. I decided to purchase one, but haven’t used it yet. *Delkin vs Sony XQD comparison

I got this SmallRig one https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-l-bracket-for-nikon-z6-and-nikon-z7-camera-2258.html

$69 and Adorama carries them.
If you are so inclined (I wasn't) you can also get this lens/FTZ support bracket for $24 : https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-lens-adapter-support-for-nikon-ftz-mount-adapter-2244.html
My Z6, bought from a seller on FM, included a Kirk L-bracket and a Kirk L-bracket for the FTZ. I'm finding that useful especially for my 70-300 AF-P which is too long and heavy for shooting from a tripod mounted camera body.

My Z6, bought from a seller on FM, included a Kirk L-bracket and a Kirk L-bracket for the FTZ. I'm finding that useful especially for my 70-300 AF-P which is too long and heavy for shooting from a tripod mounted camera body.
I use a camera mounted l-bracket with my 70-300 and haven't had any problems. The 70-300 and FTZ combined are about 30oz. I thought the body, mounting screw was rated well over 36oz. Are you saying Im putting to much weight on the camera body/mounting?

I guess I need to do some more homework.

I use a camera mounted l-bracket with my 70-300 and haven't had any problems. The 70-300 and FTZ combined are about 30oz. I thought the body, mounting screw was rated well over 36oz. Are you saying Im putting to much weight on the camera body/mounting?

I guess I need to do some more homework.
If it works for you it's probably fine. That combo just seems unstable to me.

Real Name
It realy is Steven Roy. Did you think I was lying?
Has anyone here purchased that guide? Is it worth the $$?
I'm happy I did. It has good information about how modern digital cameras work, and specifically the choices Nikon made for Z6&7. It also digs deep into every single setting and option describing in detail what they all do and how to use them.

Way better than any normal manual.

I'm happy I did. It has good information about how modern digital cameras work, and specifically the choices Nikon made for Z6&7. It also digs deep into every single setting and option describing in detail what they all do and how to use them.

Way better than any normal manual.
Welcome aboard and thanks for responding, Steve.

Do you think that guide improved your use of the camera?

I based my decision on the weight of the 24-70mm f/2.8 ED VR. Nikon doesn't off a collar for it and it weighs 38oz. So used on the Z body with the FTZ were looking at around 44oz.

I would hope that Nikon would have made the mounting as strong as the DSLR's since they are wanting us to use the F mount lenses.

I based my decision on the weight of the 24-70mm f/2.8 ED VR. Nikon doesn't off a collar for it and it weighs 38oz. So used on the Z body with the FTZ were looking at around 44oz.

I would hope that Nikon would have made the mounting as strong as the DSLR's since they are wanting us to use the F mount lenses.
I'm not concerned about damaging the camera mount. I'm worried about vibration producing a less-than sharp image.

I am using a SmallRig L-bracket. They also have an add-on bracket that strengthens the FTZ mount when using long glass that lacks its own tripod mount: https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-lens-adapter-support-for-nikon-ftz-mount-adapter-2244.html
I don't know if this works with other L-brackets; Probably not.

I'm not concerned about damaging the camera mount. I'm worried about vibration producing a less-than sharp image.
Jim, are you saying that the longer lens might vibrate more if the camera is mounted on a tripod by the body then if mounted by the FTZ adaptor?

I admit this is something I haven't considered before.

Real Name
It realy is Steven Roy. Did you think I was lying?
Do you think that guide improved your use of the camera?
Absolutely it did! If you're already accustomed to other Nikon cameras, you'll get less out of it, though it may still be worth it.
I was/am transitioning from my old Canon 7D, and find it very helpful explaining many of the more obscure settings deep in the menu. Several times I said "Oh. Ok ya, definitely want to change that."

I find Thom's Z camera guide far more informative and a whole lot less pedantic than his earlier ones (I've use his D70, D100, D2x, D810, and D850 prior to this). OK, I may be better educated thanks to his books, but I found the Z series to be most useful.

WRT mounting the Camera / FTZ / Lens on a tripod va the FTZ or the Camera:

With my Manfrotto system mounting to a tripod via the camera is not possible - the FTZ gets in the way.

Apart from that, it seems logical to spread the weight "evenly" between the two mounts (Lens and Camera). None of my lenses would cause a weight problem (according to Nikon) but it looks quite happy with the Manfrotto plate on the adaptor.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WRT mounting the Camera / FTZ / Lens on a tripod va the FTZ or the Camera:

With my Manfrotto system mounting to a tripod via the camera is not possible - the FTZ gets in the way.

Apart from that, it seems logical to spread the weight "evenly" between the two mounts (Lens and Camera). None of my lenses would cause a weight problem (according to Nikon) but it looks quite happy with the Manfrotto plate on the adaptor.

View attachment 1644294
I agree.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom