Z6 - Z7 Resources

Real Name
Andy
Can you configure the shutter release not to activate unless focus has been achieved as is done with the Nikon dSLRs? If that can happen, you'll get confirmation about the focus when you try to release the shutter. :eek:
Yes, that can be toggled just as it is done on Nikon DSLRs. But in my usage, I set AF-C priority selection to allow shutter release at all times and set AF activation to back button focusing only (no AF activation with a half press of the shutter), therefore I seldom use AF-S at all. My logic: when continuous focus updating is really needed, such as for action, I'd rather have an imperfectly focused shot (within reason!) than miss the moment while the camera faffs around for optimum focus. When AF-S would have been sufficient, I suppose I could change AF modes and get the green box reassurance, but years of shooting this way on DSLRs has put me in the habit of leaving it in AF-C and simply thumbing the AF-ON button momentarily, which achieves the same result as AF-S would. This way of shooting (which, I gather, is somewhat common) essentially deprives the user of any kind of AF confirmation on the Z. Perhaps an upcoming firmware update will address it.

Real Name
Andy
I emailed NPS to request adding this feature in a future firmware update. The reply was that it was a common suggestion and that they would add it to the numerous others who have asked for it. There is hope!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom