Z6s and Z7s Rumored

I wouldn't be surprised to see "s" models at this point, but I am surprised at the mention of dual card slots. In the past, an "s" update uses the same body structure, but tweaks the internal parts and firmware a bit. I don't see how they can include an additional XQD without enlarging the body.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I don't see how they can include an additional XQD without enlarging the body.
I agree with Jim. The current form factor can’t handle a dual XQD. Could they put one in a new grip? Doesn’t seem likely. Don’t know if they could map that to the PCI bus at the necessary speed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only thing that tugs at me is the Dual EXPEED processors, I think. I am assuming it will mean faster something, and better something! The rest I can live without.
This maybe the time to sell my D850 and F-mount glass (except for the 200-500) and add a soon-to-be-discounted Z7 to partner with my Z6.

I suppose there could be one XQD and one SD slot.
When I read the rumor, I thought 2 x SD.

I like your thought better - 1 XQD (CFE?) & 1 SD! The same config as the D500 & D850 and possibly (almost) enough room in the current form factor.

I sure hope that 2nd processor is dedicated to AF acquisition & tracking. :)

Real Name
Paul
This might explain the recent price drops on the Z6 & Z7. From the rumoured new features though, I'm not too bothered about getting the "old" model. The USB operation might be useful for astro, but there is also the dummy battery option which would be a lot cheaper! The extra card slot is not something I need (I've had it on my Oly EM1.2 for the past four years have never used it!).

Power through USB Type-C is really helpful and it's a feature my A7III has had since it's release. I'm sure the 's' models will have faster processors, but it still won't be as fast as as the original Sony A9 which has additional hardware. Sony probably has an A7 IV ready to be released and Nikon looks like they're playing catch up instead of leapfrogging the competition. Also the upcoming Canon R5 appears to have the sensor of the 1DXm3 and the 20fps capabilities which Nikon doesn't seem to have a response for.

Real Name
Randy
the Z6 has a very serious AF problem that has to be fixed before anyone will take Nikon mirrorless seriously. I love the z6 in my backyard but would never take it on a serious trip.
I was surprised this is a known problem:

using the 500pf (I'm guessing any lens will do) and focus near then focus far and finally try to focus near again. The z6 will not respond unless you turn the MF ring or focus on something midrange. This cost be alot of shots until I expected it and always stay focused near so I'm ready (my perches are near)

the Z6 has a very serious AF problem that has to be fixed before anyone will take Nikon mirrorless seriously. I love the z6 in my backyard but would never take it on a serious trip.

using the 500pf (I'm guessing any lens will do) and focus near then focus far and finally try to focus near again. The z6 will not respond unless you turn the MF ring or focus on something midrange. This cost be alot of shots until I expected it and always stay focused near so I'm ready (my perches are near)
I just couldn't justify the upgrade to the Z system when my Nikon F-mount lenses AF faster on the D750, even better on something like a D850 or D5. The native Z mount lenses are much better, but you'll be looking at rebuying some of that top tier glass. I played with the Canon 1DX3 back in February and Canon did a real good job on that body. It's basically a preview of their upcoming Canon R5, which I think will be very impressive.

Real Name
Randy
I just couldn't justify the upgrade to the Z system when my Nikon F-mount lenses AF faster on the D750, even better on something like a D850 or D5. The native Z mount lenses are much better, but you'll be looking at rebuying some of that top tier glass. I played with the Canon 1DX3 back in February and Canon did a real good job on that body. It's basically a preview of their upcoming Canon R5, which I think will be very impressive.
there is no z glass that fits my needs
the 500pf is so important to shooting wildlife it keeps me on Nikon and OMG does the 500pf focus faster on the D5 (and the D850 & D500).
I will say IQ is stellar from the z6

there is no z glass that fits my needs
the 500pf is so important to shooting wildlife it keeps me on Nikon and OMG does the 500pf focus faster on the D5 (and the D850 & D500).
I will say IQ is stellar from the z6
Have a look at my reply in you Z6 AF issue thread. I know it's not a substitute for DSLR like AF, but setting an AF distance to a programmable button on the 500PF will make a world of difference in the situation you described. It even helps with DSLRs.

EDIT: Sorry - we must have crossed pathes reading opposite threads. :)

It's the AF speed that I'm waiting to see improved before I jump into Z. I'd love to replace one of my DSLR's (probably the D500) with a Z cam and ultimately replace F lenses with S lenses (except for my tele's) but the hold up for me is AF speed. No mention of improvements in that area probably doesn't bode well (it may well be that new sensors are required to improve AF speed).

Real Name
Ken St John
I wonder how the Nikons will compare to the two new Canon mirrorless models announced yesterday.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Although I still have no interest in going mirrorless, I was impressed that both of these have 1,043 focus points, and I saw a demo of the "eye" focus working on people and animals (dogs, cats & birds)!! I thought about folks here who do birds ... that sounds like it would be a big plus. Canon also announced some interesting RF lenses, including some long, fixed f11 aperture, telephotos - 600mm @ $699 and 800mm @ $899!! Folks that tried 'em said with the high ISO capability, the fixed f11 was no problem at all. They also said they worked with the 1.4x and 2x converters ... which sounds insane!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom