Z6s and Z7s Rumored

I use my z7 for portraits but if I have to get the shot ie it is moving the D5 or d850 get the nod. The auto focus is weak and if I did not have too many f mount glass I would be shooting Sony right now.

I'll be looking forward to the Z6s but I would like to see some AF speed improvements before I buy one.
I'm still waiting for lenses tho and my first S lens will be the forthcoming 24-105. That lens and a Z6s will make a nice small lightweight setup. My second S lens may be the 100-400 (I'm thinking this will be an f/5.6 @ 400mm) if the Z6s and lens AF adequately [fast] enough.

Have you seen Randy's images? With the exception of the close to far hunting, the Z6 focus gets it done for my biding too.
John - Thanks for the response. I've always admired the images that Randy posts. I haven't paid much attention to the equipment he is using so I went back and did a search. His Z6 shots of birds look nice although I only found one image of a bird in flight. I did notice that he paired his Z6 with a 500 or 600 mm lens. My longest lens is the 80-400 AFS zoom lens so I'd probably want to pair it with a higher MP sensor like the one in the Z7. I'm not sure how the AF in the Z7 compares with the Z6 but excellent focus tracking for moving objects would be a high priority of mine. With that said I'm planning on waiting a bit to see what Nikon does with its next iteration of the Z7.

John - Thanks for the response. I've always admired the images that Randy posts. I haven't paid much attention to the equipment he is using so I went back and did a search. His Z6 shots of birds look nice although I only found one image of a bird in flight. I did notice that he paired his Z6 with a 500 or 600 mm lens. My longest lens is the 80-400 AFS zoom lens so I'd probably want to pair it with a higher MP sensor like the one in the Z7. I'm not sure how the AF in the Z7 compares with the Z6 but excellent focus tracking for moving objects would be a high priority of mine. With that said I'm planning on waiting a bit to see what Nikon does with its next iteration of the Z7.
Hi John - My experience with the Z6 and larger birds, small birds and insects has been better than my DSLRs D300, D700, D810 but on par with D850. Once it locks, it tracks the subject.

FWIW, I replaced by 80-400 with the 200-500 zoom. I am getting more keepers and sharper images with larger zoom. Perhaps my 80-400 was not the best copy. I also use the 300PF with 1.4 or 1.7 TC for 420 and 500mm equivalents.

I am a customer of Ace Photo. They are very helpful and perhaps could let you try out equipment. They are open and practicing the recommended guidelines for in person contact.
Best
John

I just came back from the garden. Grabbed these handheld in poor light. Had to throw out two of the six shots. Perhaps higher SS but I was not looking for a hummer.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi John - My experience with the Z6 and larger birds, small birds and insects has been better than my DSLRs D300, D700, D810 but on par with D850. Once it locks, it tracks the subject.

FWIW, I replaced by 80-400 with the 200-500 zoom. I am getting more keepers and sharper images with larger zoom. Perhaps my 80-400 was not the best copy. I also use the 300PF with 1.4 or 1.7 TC for 420 and 500mm equivalents.

I am a customer of Ace Photo. They are very helpful and perhaps could let you try out equipment. They are open and practicing the recommended guidelines for in person contact.
Best
John
John - Thanks for the feedback. I've been fortunate with my 80-400 AFS in that it is a pretty sharp copy. I had seriously considered getting the 200-500 lens but wasn't sure I could handle the bigger circumference since I have small hands. I've purchased gear from Ace in the past and have found them helpful when I've visited their store. Since the photo opportunities are pretty limited right now I'm just going to hang in there with my D810 and see what Nikon does for the rest of the year.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom