Z7, 10mm, and Macro Adapter

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I am amusing myself testing a Voigtlander 10mm F5.6 wide lens with the Fotofox Leica-M macro adapter on my Nikon Z7. This macro adapter extends up to 6 mm. I am showing 4 pictures of a supplement bottle, 11 cm (a little over 4 inches) high and 6 cm in diameter. The first photo is the closest (0.5 m or 1.5 feet) I can do with the Leica M-mount lens alone. Now extending the adapter macro ring, I took the second and third shots. The forth one is almost the limit, the bottle almost touching the lens hood (the bottle 1.5 cm from the lens surface). I tried all 5 apertures: 5.6/8/11/16/22. The first one - all apertures are good. The depth of field of near and far objects are affected by the aperture. The F8 is shown here. The second is at F11. The third one is F16. The last one - I had to consider resolution, not just the depth issue. Even the upper and lower center of the image is visibly bad (aberration) at wide open F5.6. I chose F22 to be the best, as shown here. This is a rare case where I recommend F22 for this lens. (The park photo with a leaf is at F22, 1/30 sec, ISO 64, macro extended.)

Cosina (Japan) announced its Voigtlander band versions of Leica-M adapters for Nikon Z, Canon R, Fuji X and so forth, including "Close focus" adapters that contain macro extendability of the ring. Nikon Z version is similar to the one I showed here. They say it extends up to 5.5 mm. The Canon R version extends only 3 mm. The amount of extension obviously depends on the structural limitation based on the original thickness of the adapter ring. I am sure the Cosina adapters are better quality than my Chinese versions but mine is working OK for me. Having one Leica-M adapter for your camera is very useful thing considering there are so many Leica-M mount lenses (including Voigtlander VM and Zeiss ZM) out there and the fact that almost all lenses in the world have some Leica-M adapter. So combining these, you can use almost any lens on your Nikon Z body.

Last edited:
Real Name
Maurie Hill
My Voigtlander 12mm 5.6 om the Z7 results in a cyan vignette when wide open (if you can call 5.6 wide open)
But less of a problem at f8

Which version of Voightlander 12mm do you have? It is only the latest mk3 that was corrected for Leica M digital sensor, should also work better than previous versions on the Z camera.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Mine is the 7-8 yo version.

Last edited:
View attachment 1640529 Mine is the 7-8 yo version.
So, you have older version which was designed for film. It is only the latest version that works OK on digital, designed primarily for Leica M full frame digital cameras. If it works on Z camera i5 is added bonus.

There are ways to remove colour fringing in post processing, if you google “removing Italian flag” not as political gesture but in photo post processing you can find out what to do.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom