Z7 AF fine tune

Are lenses that use the FTZ adapter the only ones that need AF fine tuning or do the Z lenses require it if needed too? By the way first post here though I have used Nikon since the film days. Great forum!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting. I had to adjust a 60 micro G because of back focus at about 2 feet. Weird. I had to go go through trial and error due to no tools for the job. I don’t want to do that with the rest of my lenses. I will play around with it some more.

Real Name
Bill
I haven't found any lenses that have required fine tuning on a Z camera. I've been using the 500pf and 70-300e with the FTZ adapter and both lenses are sharper on my Z6 than on my D5.
I believe it's due to the difference between using phase detect and contrast detect autofocus.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Research the differences between phase detection and contrast detection to achieve focusing. You will find that ANY lenses used on mirrorless bodies do not need focus tuning if the mirrorless body uses phase detection focusing.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
According to Reikan FoCal there is utility in performing AF Fine Tune. Scroll down a ways on this 2018 blog post about the Z 7 to read the details. It has to do with whether the lens actually moves the amount the camera instructed, especially when using Phase Detect Auto Focus (PDAF) where the sensor measures both mangitude and direction.

https://blog.reikanfocal.com/2018/10/the-new-nikon-z7-investigating-with-reikan-focal/

Real Name
Paul
If it's similar to the Olympus EM1 range (which uses on-sensor PDAF focusing like the Z), then what I can say is this:

- CDAF needs no fine tuning. It's a system that drives the lens repeatedly until maximum edge contrast is detected.

- PDAF can need fine tuning. It has a "fire and forget" element to it, so the camera is relying on the lens to get a focus adjustment right.

Mirrorless PDAF doesn't have the camera calibration issues of DSLRs (caused by path length differences between the image sensor and the AF sensors), but calibration can still be needed for the lens. However, in over 6 years of using PDAF-equipped mirrorless cameras, I've personally never had an issue. But - I've always used modern, native lenses. These have been designed with hybrid CD/PD AF in mind. However, I know that people using the older four thirds lenses on m43 cameras often needed to run an AF fine tune.

So, my guess on the Z would be that AF fine tune might be necessary on F mount lenses, but probably not on native Z mount lenses.

A complicating factor is knowing when the camera is using CDAF or PDAF. Olympus only ever gave vague information on this, and I assume Nikon are the same. My suspicion is that Pinpoint AF is exclusively CDAF, but other modes - esp CAF modes - use PDAF, or a mix of the two.

It's quite possible that PDAF is exclusively used with the FTZ since F mount lenses were never designed for CDAF and the motor design won't work well (and could potentially be damaged) by the way that CDAF would drive it.

Last edited:
According to Reikan FoCal there is utility in performing AF Fine Tune. Scroll down a ways on this 2018 blog post about the Z 7 to read the details. It has to do with whether the lens actually moves the amount the camera instructed, especially when using Phase Detect Auto Focus (PDAF) where the sensor measures both mangitude and direction.

https://blog.reikanfocal.com/2018/10/the-new-nikon-z7-investigating-with-reikan-focal/
That's about the best explanation of the two AF methods and why AF Fine tune may be needed in any camera using PDAF.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom