Z7 Battery Drain issue... solved sort of...

I haven't been able to find anything else on the interweb about this, so thought I'd post here as a bit of a heads up...

My Z7 has been draining its battery whilst the camera has been switched off. In a day it'll drain around 20-25%, despite the camera being switched off and just left in its bag.

Called up Nikon support and the chap was ensuring I had airport mode turned on. He explained that despite the camera being switched off, the Bluetooth facility remains 'on'. I had not set up any type of connectivity, Bluetooth or wifi, and needed to see if it perhaps was these systems carrying on trying to scan for devices. I'm dubious about this, but turned airport mode on anyway to test and it made no difference. Battery still drains the same whilst camera is switched off.

Just waiting for an XQD card reader so I can update to the new firmware 1.01, though I don't think this will make any difference. I suspect this is just an issue with my particular camera, and, as I couldn't find anything else about it, don't think its wide spread. If still happens with firmware 1.01 then it'll go back for replacement/repair no probs.

Might just be worth keeping an eye out for though.

Cheers

Rhod

Not sure about the Z7 but if you can/are using Snapbridge this drains battery 27/7 if you keep it switched on, just a thought, my D850 eats it up with this function.

I haven't touched snapbridge but will have a look to see if it is something that is automatically 'on' by default and then turn it off

Real Name
Chris
Thank you for the heads up, I’ll keep an eye on things but as of yet I have not noticed this. I’m actually quite pleased with the battery performance as it was one of my main concerns. Let us know what you find out!

Thought I'd update this (if anyone is interested) about what Nikon have discovered...

Turns out, it wasn't a problem with the Z7 body, rather the 24-70mm S lens. They didn't go into details as to what the actual issue with the lens was (I didn't really have much time to talk being at work either), but it was the lens itself that was causing rapid battery drain. They are sending me a new one, so no issues.

If anyone else is finding their battery draining particularly quickly it might be worth noting though.

Cheers

Rhod

Real Name
Andrew
Thought I'd update this (if anyone is interested) about what Nikon have discovered...

Turns out, it wasn't a problem with the Z7 body, rather the 24-70mm S lens. They didn't go into details as to what the actual issue with the lens was (I didn't really have much time to talk being at work either), but it was the lens itself that was causing rapid battery drain. They are sending me a new one, so no issues.

If anyone else is finding their battery draining particularly quickly it might be worth noting though.

Cheers

Rhod
That's good to know. I have a Z6 coming today with the 24-70 lens. If I see anything similar, I'll be right on the support hotline with Nikon to get it looked into.

I seem to have suddenly got a similar problem with my Z6 that I have started investigating. I also thought the cause was the Bluetooth "Send while off" option, which is on by default. I have had the camera for two months without experiencing any battery drain problem, but during the last two nights the fully charged battery drained completely. Scary. I turned off the "Send while off" option, but if it doesn't work I'll check if changing lenses helps. The only change I made to the camera the day before this problem occurred was carefully wiping the viewfinder clean after the automatic monitor/viewfinder switch stopping working (cleaning helped). Weird.

Referring to the above, turning off the "Send while off" option seemed to solve the battery drain problem for my camera. No battery drain now.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom