Test Z7 Bird in Flight First Day Impressions

Real Name
Mark Smith
I spent the day out with the new Nikon Z7 and while it is a nice camera, it isn't quite up there with the D850 or the D500 in the stills department. For video though, everything you know about Nikon and auto focus video doesn't apply to the Z7. The autofocus for video works very, very well. It works so well in fact, that it easily locked, tracked and kept focus on a dancing reddish egret. Here's a video highlighting my 1st day with the camera.

Mark,

Thanks for sharing your video with the Z7. It really shows how this camera can capture video. I was really impressed with the slowmo of the Egrets. Great shooting in the stills dept too.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"mpffff… I want to see how the Z7 works with the 500PF.... now that is a system a beagle could carry" - Georgie Beagle

Real Name
Mark Smith
Mark,

Thanks for sharing your video with the Z7. It really shows how this camera can capture video. I was really impressed with the slowmo of the Egrets. Great shooting in the stills dept too.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"mpffff… I want to see how the Z7 works with the 500PF.... now that is a system a beagle could carry" - Georgie Beagle
I'm trying to get a copy of the 500PF for review.

Sorry but Nikon failed with the new Z line of cameras, when I buy a camera it's first and foremost for taking pictures, video is a plus. Let's hope their next iteration of the Z line will fix the autofocus issues for sports and wildlife photography. I will stick with my D500 for now, was looking to upgrade to the D850, but was holding out to see how the new Nikon mirror-less system would pan out, according to many reviewers, not so well, now if I can only find a D850 for sale.

Sorry but Nikon failed with the new Z line of cameras, when I buy a camera it's first and foremost for taking pictures, video is a plus. Let's hope their next iteration of the Z line will fix the autofocus issues for sports and wildlife photography. I will stick with my D500 for now, was looking to upgrade to the D850, but was holding out to see how the new Nikon mirror-less system would pan out, according to many reviewers, not so well, now if I can only find a D850 for sale.
Sorry that the Z series is not for you, I have had my Z7 for two weeks and am loving it, it is everything I wanted and lots, lots more as well. I don't do sport or wildlife apart from grabbing shots of my dog racing across the beach chasing his ball, so for me Nikon gets a big 10/10 from me for the Z series.

Sorry that the Z series is not for you, I have had my Z7 for two weeks and am loving it, it is everything I wanted and lots, lots more as well. I don't do sport or wildlife apart from grabbing shots of my dog racing across the beach chasing his ball, so for me Nikon gets a big 10/10 from me for the Z series.
Good for you, but like I said, the Z7 is not for sports or wildlife photography. Maybe their next iteration will fit the bill.

Does anybody make a mirrorless that can shoot BIF or sports ?
The Sony A9, Mark Smith just picked one up and made a nice video shooting birds in Florida's marshlands. Sony has been at it a bit longer than Nikon in the mirrorless game, hopefully Nikon will make the improvements needed for me and many others to pick up one of their mirrorless cameras, the Z6 and Z7 are fine mirrorless cameras, but fall short for sports/wildlife photography. He tried both the Z6 and the Z7 and decided not to keep either of them.

Real Name
Randy
The Sony A9, Mark Smith just picked one up and made a nice video shooting birds in Florida's marshlands. Sony has been at it a bit longer than Nikon in the mirrorless game, hopefully Nikon will make the improvements needed for me and many others to pick up one of their mirrorless cameras, the Z6 and Z7 are fine mirrorless cameras, but fall short for sports/wildlife photography. He tried both the Z6 and the Z7 and decided not to keep either of them.
show stopper for me as well
it has to be at least as good as the D5

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom