1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Test Z7 Bird in Flight First Day Impressions

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by mark_smith, Oct 22, 2018.

1. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    I spent the day out with the new Nikon Z7 and while it is a nice camera, it isn't quite up there with the D850 or the D500 in the stills department. For video though, everything you know about Nikon and auto focus video doesn't apply to the Z7. The autofocus for video works very, very well. It works so well in fact, that it easily locked, tracked and kept focus on a dancing reddish egret. Here's a video highlighting my 1st day with the camera.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mark,

Thanks for sharing your video with the Z7. It really shows how this camera can capture video. I was really impressed with the slowmo of the Egrets. Great shooting in the stills dept too.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"mpffff… I want to see how the Z7 works with the 500PF.... now that is a system a beagle could carry" - Georgie Beagle

3. mark_smith

mark_smith

Oct 24, 2017
    Florida
    Mark Smith
    I'm trying to get a copy of the 500PF for review.

4. Sorry but Nikon failed with the new Z line of cameras, when I buy a camera it's first and foremost for taking pictures, video is a plus. Let's hope their next iteration of the Z line will fix the autofocus issues for sports and wildlife photography. I will stick with my D500 for now, was looking to upgrade to the D850, but was holding out to see how the new Nikon mirror-less system would pan out, according to many reviewers, not so well, now if I can only find a D850 for sale.

5. Martin Norden

Martin Norden

Dec 30, 2015
    Sorry that the Z series is not for you, I have had my Z7 for two weeks and am loving it, it is everything I wanted and lots, lots more as well. I don't do sport or wildlife apart from grabbing shots of my dog racing across the beach chasing his ball, so for me Nikon gets a big 10/10 from me for the Z series.

6. Good for you, but like I said, the Z7 is not for sports or wildlife photography. Maybe their next iteration will fit the bill.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.