Z7 menu - b2 Easy Expo Comp

I turned it on and it worked ok to adjust the exposure without holding the comp button.... but then, how do I cancel that in order to change the shutter speed? I thought I can just click the button again...

If you set b2 to on and dial in exposure comp, you will have to dial it back out. If you set it to on-auto (or something like that) it will reset to zero when you turn the camera off.

I do not see the difference between ON and ON(Auto reset). Neither resets the expo comp to 0 upon power off.

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 07.51.34.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 07.51.56.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thank you so much for the information.... I think I got it!

I would like to provide one correction ...... That is, the exposure compensation is effective even in MANUAL mode. In Manual, if you set the expo comp to EV -2, say, and if you adjust your shutter/aperture to center the expo indicator (-0+), then you get a dark, EV-2 picture.

Thank you so much for the information.... I think I got it!

I would like to provide one correction ...... That is, the exposure compensation is effective even in MANUAL mode. In Manual, if you set the expo comp to EV -2, say, and if you adjust your shutter/aperture to center the expo indicator (-0+), then you get a dark, EV-2 picture.

Correct. Just setting a new zero point on the scale.

Right you are about exposure compensation with manual mode. I believe what Thom Hogan is referring to (rather sloppily!) is that EASY exposure comp is not possible while in manual exposure mode, since you need access to both shutter speed and aperture dials.
Keep asking those questions--it's a great way for all to learn.

He is wrong in saying b2 does not work for Manual.

Turning b2 On does two things: First, it will allow you to do Expo Comp without holding the button. For that, you use Rear dial for A, Front dial for S (and P), and NO dial for M (since both are already spoken for). The other thing b2 On does is to allow you to just click the button (not holding down). Then the Control panel shows that you are in the expo comp mode. There, you can do expo adjustment -- using either Front or Rear dial, both works -- for all MASP. You can get out from that mode by clicking the button again.

My Z7 (ver. 2.00) is screwed up.... I cannot get out of b2 mode now... Even if I am now Off, I can still click the button once and I am in the comp mode. My On (Auto reset) does not reset either as Manual says....

I completely agree with you --"Keep asking those questions--it's a great way for all to learn. "

He is wrong in saying b2 does not work for Manual.

Turning b2 On does two things: First, it will allow you to do Expo Comp without holding the button. For that, you use Rear dial for A, Front dial for S (and P), and NO dial for M (since both are already spoken for). The other thing b2 On does is to allow you to just click the button (not holding down). Then the Control panel shows that you are in the expo comp mode. There, you can do expo adjustment -- using either Front or Rear dial, both works -- for all MASP. You can get out from that mode by clicking the button again.

My Z7 (ver. 2.00) is screwed up.... I cannot get out of b2 mode now... Even if I am now Off, I can still click the button once and I am in the comp mode. My On (Auto reset) does not reset either as Manual says....

I completely agree with you --"Keep asking those questions--it's a great way for all to learn. "

Do you have f6 set to yes

You are absolutely correct -- Thank you. And I was wrong, again.

Yes, my f6 was YES. That explains my Z7's behavior. Now, I turned it Off, and b2 Off is working. T. Hogan is correct in saying that b2 has no effect on Manual.
The f6 On affects all MASP as well as ISO button....

Thank you all for clarification.... but I am saying "Wow, the Z's user-interface is a bit complex and confusing to say the least.... Why these two similar functions b2 and f6 spread a mile apart."

Latest threads

Top Bottom