Z7 Missing Features - Will Wait

I was ready to move from my D800 to the Z7 but after reading the specs decided to wait. There a 3 things I want in a Nikon Mirror-less camera.

1.) A battery grip to add some more power and some more weight to this actually small camera.
2.) A build in GPS module so I do not have to attach my Solmeta GPS on to the hot shoe.
3.) 2 memory slots

Then I will be ready.
Cheers

Werner, thanks for sharing your thoughts. You joined this site just so you could make these comments?

I don't understand your gripe #1. I thought most folks want to move to a Z7 to save weight over your D800. What do mean by needing "some more power"? Running out of batter power? Throw some spare batteries in your pocket and swap them out as needed.

I think 3 is important. It is not because I need 2 cards but since I have had cameras with 2 slots I have sometimes taken out one card to download images to my computer and forgot to put it back in before my next shoot. Several times having a second card has saved my bacon.

I can agree with part of number 1. I too think the camera is small and I wish it was bigger. I also would love a grip, but my want is not for more battery power but for vertical controls, guess I'll have to wait for the Z8 for those features.

I don't have a need for GPS location data in my photos, but I could see where other might.

I'll take two memory slots if they put it in there, but that is not something that would keep me away from any camera. My old D1x and D2xs only had one, my old F5 only held one roll of film.

Everyone has a different set of requirements. For example, I don't care about a batter grip or second card slot, and am fairly ambivalent about built-in GPS. Nice to have, at least sometimes, but would probably push the battery life from marginal to untenable.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
We had photography without GPS for over 150 years and yet we know where many of these photos were taken. Snap a cell phone pic to record GPS location if that is important. You can add it later from the cell pic. Nikon SnapBridge on iOS can provide GPS data but draws down camera power to run Bluetooth.

Real Name
Steve
I missed the round eyepiece, the lock around the AF point selector, and AF to match my dearly-departed D850. I sold mine to a friend who just loves it and is doing great work with it. I'll likely still wait for the next body up the line. It FEELS like a quality piece of kit, better made than my Sonys, nearly on par with my Fujis.

Real Name
Chris
I’m not sure I completely understand people who complain about these types of things. The grip I can kind of see I guess, but Nikon is releasing a grip here shortly. I have literally shot all day on one battery with plenty to spare and have a spare battery on stand by just in case that is not enough. The dual cards are a non issue for several reasons. If your a professional in a studio, you are most likely shooting tethered. If you are not in a studio, there are solutions to wirelessly transmit your photos to an external device if you are so worried about “backups”. The primary reason they were doing two card slots was to improve buffer to write speeds but with the xqd you don’t have to worry about that as much because they are so fast. I dunno, I switched from my 850 to the Z7 and love the form factor. When I made the decision to switch my primary reason was the new S series lenses and the native Z mount because I feel like it is going to change the game. But everyone has their own opinions I guess.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
The grip I can kind of see I guess, but Nikon is releasing a grip here shortly.
The grip for the Z bodies will not have vertical command dial, subcommand dial and shutter release buttons. It will only have battery capacity. People buy the grips for these vertical controls in addition to having more battery life. They want to buy a less expensive camera like a D750, add a vertical grip, and get the features of a more expensive camera like a D5 which includes it in the body design.

Real Name
Bill
It's a very polarizing camera. One one side are people who feel that Nikon has insulted them and are ready to jump ship to another manufacturer. On the other side people feel that Nikon was talking just to them and made a fantastic camera that is the future of photography.

Fascinating to observe.

Real Name
David
I can see and understand what the OP is saying. There's only one that would be an issue for me and then really only if I was still shooting events professionally. Yes it's only been since I upgraded from my D700 that I've had dual cards. Prior to dual cards I would uses smaller cards and change them regularly during an event. I would also ensure that I used both bodies I was carrying to shoot "moments". With dual cards I still made sure I shot with both bodies. But I move to larger cards that I never had to change during an event. Bent CF card pins while rushing to change cards seemed to cause more problems than failing cards from my experience.

Dual cards also gave me the ability to pop one card out when leaving an event "just in case" and leave the other securely in the body. While it never happen to me personally, I have known others that have gotten mugged on their way back to their car or have had there car broken into while making trips to and from the reception loading gear.

I can see and understand what the OP is saying. There's only one that would be an issue for me and then really only if I was still shooting events professionally. Yes it's only been since I upgraded from my D700 that I've had dual cards. Prior to dual cards I would uses smaller cards and change them regularly during an event. I would also ensure that I used both bodies I was carrying to shoot "moments". With dual cards I still made sure I shot with both bodies. But I move to larger cards that I never had to change during an event. Bent CF card pins while rushing to change cards seemed to cause more problems than failing cards from my experience.

Dual cards also gave me the ability to pop one card out when leaving an event "just in case" and leave the other securely in the body. While it never happen to me personally, I have known others that have gotten mugged on their way back to their car or have had there car broken into while making trips to and from the reception loading gear.
Nikon is just playing their marketing games as usual. They probably have a D750 replacement in the pipeline being released later this year. Saying that, I have this feeling Nikon is being run by old corporate heads who seriously need to retire. The whole card slot issue would of garnered Nikon at least a few more sales had they just included a 2nd UHS-II slot, it's not like the Z buffer is very big. Also I doubt the battery grip would of been a serious cost, since they're okay making separate grips for every single camera body and then charging a ridiculous price for them.

It really makes me scratch my head why Nikon seems so adamant about not listening to their customers? It's like when Nikon followed up the awesome D300/S, with a gimped D7000/D7100/D7200 before they finally caved into customer demand and made a D500.

Sometimes I wonder if it's better to let the old guard just fade and let the more innovated companies who are more hungry take over?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom