Z7 pics look darker in Lightroom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When it's practical to check your histogram after capturing an image, always do so. If needed, retake the photo using a better exposure. I believe you can check the histogram on your camera even before releasing the shutter, which is better yet.
Yes, that’s what I’m going to do, thanks a lot

I changed the EVF to -3, and tried last night for the same type of shooting, it works! I also put histogram on live.

Thank you very much for your help!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Those are the trials I did last night.
I change it from time to time, usually -1 for both.

To get back to the issue of using the histogram to achieve the desired exposure, both images at a glance appeared seriously underexposed to me when considered them in the context of traditional styles. Reviewing their histograms confirmed that. Both images have a very nice artistic quality to them, so it's possible that you prefer that underexposed look. Whatever the case is, make sure you are getting the look you want by design rather than by accident. Using the histogram at the time of capture and keeping an eye on it during post-processing is an important step toward achieving that goal.

All of my comments about the two images are based on viewing them using a calibrated monitor. Hopefully you're also using one; otherwise, the images might be appearing differently on your monitor than on mine.

Last edited:
To get back to the issue of using the histogram to achieve the desired exposure, both images at a glance appeared seriously underexposed to me when considered them in the context of traditional styles. Reviewing their histograms confirmed that. Both images have a very nice artistic quality to them, so it's possible that you prefer that underexposed look. Whatever the case is, make sure you are getting the look you want by design rather than by accident. Using the histogram at the time of capture and keeping an eye on it during post-processing is an important step toward achieving that goal.

All of my comments about the two images are based on viewing them using a calibrated monitor. Hopefully you're also using one; otherwise, the images might be appearing differently on your monitor than on mine.
Thank you!

My suggestion was that you use NX- D to open your nef files to troubleshoot your problem.

They should look identical to what you see on your camera monitor because the software is virtually the same as your camera. All of the in-camera settings contained in the NEF are recognised and applied without any input from you.

Once you have sorted out your problem go back to your normal raw converter.

DG

Welcome all of you,

I have similar problem. My photos (raw) from z7 look much darker in Lightroom (LR). In the LR when I press import the I see thumbnails of photos are look exactly the same as on display in z7. After importing to Lightroom there are much darker and I don't know why ?? Use to I shoot on manual mode, this time all photo session I was shooting on A aperture priority + using exposure compensation if I needed.

My root cause analysis hasn't help me ;-(. Therefore I aks you. May be I had the same problem or you know how to fix this.
What I have done:
1. The difference between photo from z7 and imported to Lightroom - see below photo.
2. I opened this picture in Camera Raw looks the some as in Lightroom - much darker
2. I opened this picture in ViewNX 2 (left photo) looks the same as in z7 - ok
3. I opened this picture in ON1 Photo Raw 2020 looks the same as in z7 - ok
My assumption is that there is some software problem in LR & CR. But I not sure

After reading the above discussion, I also checked the histogram looks different

Your reply \ help are welcome :)

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Look at the Profile applied in the Develop module in Lightroom? Often I find that Adobe applies their own profile by default. You can also apply their “Camera XXX” profiles that are supposed to mimic the in-camera profiles. If the Develop module has an Adobe profile selected, try one of the Camera XXX profiles and see if that looks more like ViewNX or ON1.

Just a hunch.

Welcome all of you,

I have similar problem. My photos (raw) from z7 look much darker in Lightroom (LR). In the LR when I press import the I see thumbnails of photos are look exactly the same as on display in z7. After importing to Lightroom there are much darker and I don't know why ?? Use to I shoot on manual mode, this time all photo session I was shooting on A aperture priority + using exposure compensation if I needed.

My root cause analysis hasn't help me ;-(. Therefore I aks you. May be I had the same problem or you know how to fix this.
What I have done:
1. The difference between photo from z7 and imported to Lightroom - see below photo.
2. I opened this picture in Camera Raw looks the some as in Lightroom - much darker
2. I opened this picture in ViewNX 2 (left photo) looks the same as in z7 - ok
3. I opened this picture in ON1 Photo Raw 2020 looks the same as in z7 - ok
My assumption is that there is some software problem in LR & CR. But I not sure

After reading the above discussion, I also checked the histogram looks different

Your reply \ help are welcome :)
View attachment 1660667
Nikon's software takes advantage of al the in-camera image settings you may have set, such a Picture Control, Active D-Lighting and so forth. Most (all?) third-part software can only honor White Balance.
My 2 cents.

I had this exact issue on my Z6. I discovered that I had left the Active D-lighting setting on.

perhaps check if you have set, and turn it off if so.

after turning off, my Lightroom shots went back to its beautiful normal! 😀

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom