Z7 pics look darker in Lightroom

Hi there: I imported some pics from Z7 to Lightroom. All the pics looks over 2.0 stop darker then they are viewed in Camera. The pics were shot indoors without flash. Iso between 400 to 800. It’s an indoor orchid show, I intended to make background dark and only the flower part bright. Shot with a 105 Macro.

I have had Z7 for 2 months. This is the first time I shot in low light and high iso condition. I didn’t have this problem before. Also it’s the first time I imported images after I undated the firmware.

I called Lightroom and the technician did some setting change in Lightroom. After that the pics look around 1.0 stop darker. He told me there is nothing wrong with my software.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem? Is it because the EVF looks brighter when shoot dark pics? Or just because Z7 is not good for low light shooting?

Look at your images in ViewNX-i? If they look like they did on the camera then it is most likely that LR is not honoring your in camera setting to your RAW files.

Welcome to Nikon Cafe, Phylis.

Rather than compare how the image looks in Lightroom and on your camera, determine if the look in Lightroom is consistent with the histogram. If it's consistent, there is no problem.
It is constant with histogram. But why they look brighter in the camera?

But why they look brighter in the camera?

There could be a couple explanations. One could relate to Roy's helpful response. Consider viewing the image in the camera again and display the histogram. If the histogram displayed in the camera is similar to the histogram displayed in Lightroom, everything is consistent. If not, Roy's explanation might be coming into play.

Note: You are probably aware that the camera displays the histogram of the JPEG preview embedded in the raw file. If you are shooting a raw file format, convert it to a JPEG before reviewing the histogram in Lightroom. Otherwise, you'll be comparing the histogram of the converted raw file in Lightroom with the histogram of the JPEG preview in the camera and those two histograms could be different depending on the situation.

T
There could be a couple explanations. One could relate to Roy's helpful response. Consider viewing the image in the camera again and display the histogram. If the histogram displayed in the camera is similar to the histogram displayed in Lightroom, everything is consistent. If not, Roy's explanation might be coming into play.

Note: You are probably aware that the camera displays the histogram of the JPEG preview embedded in the raw file. If you are shooting a raw file format, convert it to a JPEG before reviewing the histogram in Lightroom. Otherwise, you'll be comparing the histogram of the converted raw file in Lightroom with the histogram of the JPEG preview in the camera and those two histograms could be different depending on the situation.
Thank you so much. Could you please let me know how to view Histogram in Z7?

Thanks! I found it in Display button. The histogram is the same as in Lightroom. But the pics looks brighter in view finder. According to the histogram, they should look darker. So maybe this is the EVF. Maybe that’s why People day D850 works better in low light shooting

Thank you for your help!

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I have the Z7 and never experienced this. Did you look at the histogram of the images on the camera? That would tell you whether they really are darker in capture vs a lightroom issue. I'm betting they really are darker. I find the EVF for image review on the camera shows them brighter than they really are. You can adjust the EVF and LCD brightness in the camera to be darker. EVF is not truly representative of the image. The rear LCD for me provides a closer approximation. The histogram is the ultimate truth teller. Use it. You can see it live in the EVF if you press the DISPLAY button on the back top right while looking at the EVF.

Real Name
Don Roy
I vote for Roy's test. How do the photos look on the PC but not in Lightroom? Besides the photo app choice, Windows uses color profiles and your monitor has settings too.

You should also consider the possibility that you are actually underexposing by more than a couple of stops!

Are you able to post a link to one of your raw files where we can have a look or alternatively provide a screenshot of your Lightroom Develop module settings?

As part of your initial setup of the camera did you adjust the brightness of the display?

I second the suggestion of installing NX- D in order to troubleshoot this sort of problem.

DG
I didn’t adjust the brightness, it’s at Auto

I tried to download NxViewi, but it doesn’t match my Mac :-(

I have the Z7 and never experienced this. Did you look at the histogram of the images on the camera? That would tell you whether they really are darker in capture vs a lightroom issue. I'm betting they really are darker. I find the EVF for image review on the camera shows them brighter than they really are. You can adjust the EVF and LCD brightness in the camera to be darker. EVF is not truly representative of the image. The rear LCD for me provides a closer approximation. The histogram is the ultimate truth teller. Use it. You can see it live in the EVF if you press the DISPLAY button on the back top right while looking at the EVF.
Thank you so much for your tips!

I will look more to the LCD instead of EVF. And will check histograms. Thank you for the tips of how to make it live.

Do you always set your EVF and LCD darker? How much darker?

You should also consider the possibility that you are actually underexposing by more than a couple of stops!

Are you able to post a link to one of your raw files where we can have a look or alternatively provide a screenshot of your Lightroom Develop module settings?
Yes, all the photos are overall underexposed, only the flower part is bright.

Latest threads

Top Bottom