Z7 to MacBook by USB

New to the Z world, and I can't get my 2yo MBP to see the Z7 when connected via the USB cable supplied. Is there some trick I've missed?

Real Name
Andy
For me, it is simplest to pull the card and use a reader rather than peeling back the rubber cover to reveal the ports.

On my MBP, the card shows up on the desktop instantaneously when inserted to the USB reader, and then I do whatever I wish with the files.

Nikon ships the Z7 the USB cable and the Z6 without one. I don't think they expect users to make a habit of plugging in that cord unless they're shooting tethered (or possibly recharging the battery as long as they're not shooting).

Thank you all!
Yup, I discovered that using Image Capture found the images, then the interweb told me I had to use NX-i to open them (just like its terrible predecessor) only to find that the z7's NEF files are not recognised. Nor will (my goto) Luminar or Aurora. Tried DXO9 too. They're forcing me back to the dreaded Adobe suite Grrrrrrr.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Or maybe the TIFs off the z7 largest size are enough .... Hmmmm. I remember a similar drama when I went from a D700 to the D810 - new NEFs require new software.
Z7 TIFF tickled in Aurora. First outing for new cam. Kit 24-70 at 24.

Real Name
Andy
Thank you all!
Yup, I discovered that using Image Capture found the images, then the interweb told me I had to use NX-i to open them (just like its terrible predecessor) only to find that the z7's NEF files are not recognised. Nor will (my goto) Luminar or Aurora. Tried DXO9 too. They're forcing me back to the dreaded Adobe suite Grrrrrrr.
View attachment 1640219 Or maybe the TIFs off the z7 largest size are enough .... Hmmmm. I remember a similar drama when I went from a D700 to the D810 - new NEFs require new software.
If you just want to browse through NEF images, Photo Mechanic is a great tool.

Thank you all!
View attachment 1640219 Or maybe the TIFs off the z7 largest size are enough .... Hmmmm. I remember a similar drama when I went from a D700 to the D810 - new NEFs require new software.
Latest version of DXO allegedly supports Z nefs.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Thank you all!
Capture One Pro 12 will open the Nikon Z files. Capture One Pro 12.1 just released today also supports all of the Nikkor Z lenses.

Buy Capture One | Capture One Online Store

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom