Z7 with ftz adapter question

Sorry for a rambling question, but I am a little lost in thought here.
I am strongly considering trying the sony a7rIV with the 100-400 and 200-600mm lenses.
The lenses "seem" to be what I want.
I tried a lens adapter way back when with the nikon 1 V3- and the adapter was terrible. I found it unuseable. Certainly a different time, but it did not work well.
I have never shot with the z7, but many here have. So my question is- are the F lenses adapting perfectly with the ftz adapter? Does it work well as a system? Does it work as well as glass designed for the z mount?
I have more nikon glass than I should, including many of the super primes. In my opinion nikon has completely dropped the ball on mirrorless lenses, and I see no long glass on the mirrorless horizon by nikon.
With the sony I get native glass built to work in their system. With the nikon I get an adapter.
So one way or another I am going to buy a new body- a nikon or sony mirrorless.
I am going to buy some new glass. Sony I get the 100-400 and 200-600. Nikon not sure what to get. 500-600mm that I can handhold. My nikon primes are too heavy to hike with, and too heavy to handhold.
Any thoughts and guidance would be appreciated. Help me spend my money wisely for once.
Thanks
Gary

I understand your dilemma. I too am not a fan of adapters and rarely use the FT1 adapter with my Nikon 1 series bodies. And I really dislike the look and feel of the FTZ adapter. That said - the FTZ works surprisingly well. Other than its well reported limitations I can't complain about its performance. When I mount a F-Mount lens on my Z6 using the FTZ the overall length of that combination is the same as if I mounted the lens on my D850, since the FTZ substitutes for the mirror box on a DSLR. I can't see any degradation of performance. The current Z-Mount lenses tend to be better optically than their F-Mount counterparts, but the F-Mount lenses work as well as they do on my F-Mount bodies. I have the Nikon 200 f2 and 300 f2.8 and have no reservations about using them with the FTZ. I suspect exotic longer lenses will be slow is appearing in Z-Mount versions since the existing F-Mount versions are so good. If you are happy with your current Nikon glass I believe you will be happy using them on a Z body.

Real Name
Andrew
If the lens is listed on the Nikon or third party lens site as 100% compatible, expect the FTZ adapted lens to work as perfectly as it would on a native f-mount camera. That is the experience I have had with every f-mount lens that I own.

FTC works as well as a z lens. The f mount lens has to be a g lens to get af. That’s all I know.
Pretty sure that’s not entirely the case. I use an AF-S 500/4D on the FTZ adapter with amazing results. That’s pre-G by many years. I’ve heard (and experienced) that the only AF lenses that don’t work are pre AF-I lenses that require a focus motor inside the camera body.

As a Sony MILC and Nikon DSLR shooter, the native Sony lenses perform better on a Sony body due to optimized focus motors for mirrorless. The 200-600 focuses fast even at 600mm in good light. For example my Sony 70-200mm f/4 FE is incredibly fast on an A7III versus the Z6 + FTZ/70-200mm 2.8 VR-II, which has a tad slower response.

Saying that, it's also an advantage to use your Nikon lens on either a DSLR or Z body which broadens usage options. The only area where I feel adapted F-mount lenses aren't as good is for things like silent focus which is beneficial for video. Also I tend to like the instant viewing response of a DSLR OVF and the ability to leave the camera ON without worrying about the camera going to sleep.

The way I see it, Sony has the better native wide angle lens options, while Nikon has way more choices when it comes to telephoto lenses via the FTZ adapter. Though Sony's currently available native telephoto lenses are very good, but quite expensive. What I wish Nikon did earliers was integrate AF-P motors on all current G and E lenses. That would of helped speed up focus for adapted lenses with mirrorless, though it would of limited backwards compatibility with older DSLRs.

Honestly, there's no wrong decisions. All these systems have their strengths! If you want to try something new get the Sony, if you want tried and true, stick with Nikon!

Last edited:
I should also note that I use my 70-200vrii and have used the 14-24 on the FTZ regularly. The FTZ is the perfect “bridge” for connecting F lenses to the Z system with NO loss of performance.

Thanks so much for the insights. You are not making my decisions easier.
I am somewhat enthralled with the sony 100-400 and 200-600. Will it make my photography better? No.
Still, I may give it a try. The nikon 200-500 did nothing for me. The other long nikon glass is too heavy.
Sony bodies seem to be ahead, but nikon will catch up. I may wait 3 months and see how the chips fall, as I suspect nikon to announce a new camera soon.
Thanks again for the guidance.
Gary

On the Nikon side, there's nothing like the 300mm and 500mm PF lenses if you prefer primes. This is one area where Nikon shows their expertise over Sony. Also, I do tend to like Nikon colors SOOC better which shows advantages especially in raw edits. Sony requires me to tweak colors and exposure more versus Nikon raw images.

Pretty sure that’s not entirely the case. I use an AF-S 500/4D on the FTZ adapter with amazing results. That’s pre-G by many years. I’ve heard (and experienced) that the only AF lenses that don’t work are pre AF-I lenses that require a focus motor inside the camera body.
I have a 50 D that won’t af. The rest of my comment was just a guess.

Take this with a grain of salt as I don't own a Z7 or any Sony gear, but my experience has been when it comes to AutoFocus, nothing works better than a native (in both mount and brand) lens. I have read everywhere that the Nikon and Canon adapters are very good... but can't recall hearing an adapted lens working every bit as well as its native counterpart.

With all that said, FTZ mounted lenses may be good enough that many won't notice any differences that might exist, but if you're doing stuff like sports and BIF I might not bet the farm on that. Plus, Sony's newest bodies are KING of on sensor PDAF... universally regarded as superior to Nikon and Canon mirrorless.

And it is likely Sony will maintain its sensor tech dominance for some time to come as Nikon is using Sony sensors, and it is conceivable Sony reserves some of its highest end technology for their own cameras. Plus Sony seems to be listening to their customers and Nikon... well, not so much.

Help me spend my money wisely for once.
The above is of course other people's opinions and not mine (short my own experience on M43 mirrorless), but they're pretty darn consistent when it comes to Sony. If I was planning to switch to what you're thinking about, I'd try to remove all doubt by renting one for a week when I could really put it through its paces.

Best o' luck with whatever you decide.

but can't recall hearing an adapted lens working every bit as well as its native counterpart.
Mine work as well as they do on my D850: 50 f/1.8; 16-35 f/4; 24-120 f/4; 70-200 f/4 and 200-500 f/5.6 (the last 2 also with a TC 1.4). I agree, not the same as a comparison with identical S-mount lenses, but it's what I have and it works for me. And I still get to use my D850.

You will never pry the heavy, loud, clunky dslr from this old farts hands. My d850 and d4 will click away for years. But as I get older and travel more, weight and size becomes an issue. I am looking at a travel/hiking system. I have been a little reluctant to buy new nikon F glass as the new Z glass develops over time, but with a great adapter I guess that should not be an issue. Renting is a good idea, might try that as well.
Thanks for the insights.
Gary

I have a 50 D that won’t af. The rest of my comment was just a guess.
If I recall correctly, the 50D requires the focus motor built into the camera body. AF-I and onward will work without issue. So it’s true that those particular AF lenses will not auto focus on a Z body, but they also won’t work with most (all?) Dxxxx bodies for the same reason.

Real Name
Andy
Gary, I'm a relatively early adopter of the Z. I already liked mirrorless from my experience with micro 4/3, and buying the Z6 and Z7 seemed logical given the amount of adaptable Nikon glass I had on hand. Any D with an AF-S motors, any G, and any E lenses will be fully functional on Z bodies with the FTZ.

Lately, I've been daydreaming about how nice it might be to try the A9 and 200-600. The A9 AF capability and frame rate are very attractive, and that new lens sounds like it will be a gem. My friend shoots sports with the A7III and 100-400, and his results are excellent. If I had it to do over again, I might very well have gone for the Sony instead of the Z. Like you, I would have continued using Nikon DSLRs with my existing glass, but if you're inclined to add a mirrorless body that opens up options for long zooms, I think the Sony offerings are excellent choices. As I'm sure you know, there are no superzoom lenses in Z mount yet, and while AF on the Z with adapted lenses is extremely useable, it's still a touch slower than AF on Nikon DSLRs and Sony bodies.

If I were buying a body today to have access to shooting sports with a mirrorless kit, I would go with Sony. By next year the field might even out in that Canikon are both keen to catch up to Sony in the mirrorless arena, but no matter what happens, native mirrorless glass will not be compatible with old Nikon bodies, so in that sense, any mirrorless body amounts to starting from scratch.

FWIW, I am nevertheless committed to sticking with Nikon as I just bought another F-mount lens, a 500PF. Sony has no equivalent to that optic, nor any apparent plans to offer one.

Andy, appreciate the thoughts. I was actually on the waiting list for the 500pf for months, and cancelled as I really do not want to buy F glass and move to another system. I was more worried about the adapter than it sounds like I should have been. 5yrs ago I remember laughing as friends complained about the weight, as I carried either the 400 f2.8 or 500mm f4 primes. Now I'm in my later 60's and the weight is an issue as well. I suspect in a year or so nikon will catch up, but some of the sony glass is calling to me.
Gary

Andy, appreciate the thoughts. I was actually on the waiting list for the 500pf for months, and cancelled as I really do not want to buy F glass and move to another system. I was more worried about the adapter than it sounds like I should have been. 5yrs ago I remember laughing as friends complained about the weight, as I carried either the 400 f2.8 or 500mm f4 primes. Now I'm in my later 60's and the weight is an issue as well. I suspect in a year or so nikon will catch up, but some of the sony glass is calling to me.
Gary
I've tried the Z6 and while nice, I didn't find it enough to sway me to switch out my Nikon DSLRs. There's some areas where DSLRs are better like for strobe work and stopped down photography. Saying that, I do like shooting mirrorless as well, and have built a complimentary Sony kit geared more towards travel and video. There's nothing wrong with shooting two systems (unless it's Canon :p), so I'd give Sony a try. Also the good thing with Sony gear, it's easier to sell on the used market! Trying to sell Nikon gear is kind of tough right now. Many people are either holding tight and waiting for more Z lenses or are switching to other mirrorless platforms.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom