Z7II animal eye autofocus test - using Trooper (image heavy)

I volunteered Hanusia and Trooper to give me a hand in testing out the Z7II animal eye autofocus feature. Note that there are two animal autofocus modes -Wide AF for animals. and Autoarea autofocus for animals.
I used both in the testing. I used the 70-200 f/2.8 S lens at 200mm and f/4. Except for exposure adjustment ( I underexposed some of the original images and increased the exposure in post ) cropping and resizing to 2000pixels no other adjustments were made to the images.
1. Trooper and Hanusia are about 45 feet away and I used wide area AF animals
trooper 1256.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. I switched to Auto area AF for animals

trooper 1257.jpg

3. Coming closer. The camera did a decent job of keeping the focus
trooper 1259.jpg

4. A distraction:
trooper 1261.jpg

5." Can I go in now?"
trooper 1265.jpg

trooper 1266.jpg

7. Ok enough...Thanks Trooper.
trooper 1270.jpg

Overall impressions: I estimate that about 10 % were not usuable due to out of focus blurring - possibly user error. Typically I don't do well with auto area AF - tried it on birds and not too successful. I would gravitate to group mode af instead.
But with this camera and lens I'm pleased with the results. From what I can see - and you please form your own opinions, my eyes are not as accurate as they used to be. In future I'm sure I'll be using the animal AF modes more often.
Note that I received my Z7ii with the most current firmware so I have nothing to compare results with previous firmware on the Z7ii. Hope this helps.
Two more images: I tried it on a resident squirrel that was thirty feet away
1. original image;
Squirrel 1254.jpg

2. and cropped
Squirrel 1254 resized .jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Thanks, Bob. This is interesting to me. Your test with 200mm at 45 ft is about the same FOV as 500mm at 100 ft which is what I was curious about. Looks like it works pretty well. My interest is for shooting from a moving boat. It's very difficult to stay on target. Each focus mode has its issues. Maybe the eye AF is finally the trick.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom