Z7ii -- "Error -- Press shutter-release to reset"

Real Name
Don Risi
Considering how new this camera is, I'd be surprised if anyone else is having this problem, much less knows what's really going on, but I'll run it up the flagpole, and see what anyone might have to say.

I was messing around this morning, thinking I was going to use it as a webcam for a meeting. When I do that, I set the c3 "Power off delay" Standby Timer to "No Limit" to make sure the camera didn't go to sleep during the meeting. Then, prior to the meeting, I changed my mind, and decided to go a different route. I thought I had reset the c3 "Power off delay" Standby Timer to its usual setting of 10 minutes. I may not have. I thought I turned the camera off. I may not have done that, either. Don't remember.

When I went back to the camera several hours later, it wouldn't focus any lens, and in manual mode, I got the message, "Error -- Press shutter-release to reset." I did that, and the camera would shut off completely. I turned the switch off, then then it back on, and get a message that the shutter was closed, and to begin taking photos, I needed to press the shutter release. I did so, but the camera immediately shut off again. This went on and on, regardless of settings or lens. It lasted ever so slightly longer in Aperture priority or Shutter priority, but P and M were and over and done thing.

Without thinking to check the battery levels, I pulled the battery grip off, and put a known fully charged battery in the camera. Everything worked fine.

I replaced both batteries in the grip with known fully charged batteries, and put the grip back on the camera. 80+ images later, and everything is still working fine.

I put both batteries that had been in the grip on chargers. One charged relatively quickly, the other is still charging (it's been less than an hour).

Has anyone else run into anything like this with one of the new Z cameras? I would have thought that if both batteries had died, the camera would simply shut off and not function when turned on, but I suppose the batteries could retain enough charge to cause all this mayhem.

Well a battery problem is a lot less worrisome than a body problem.
Are all your batteries OEM and of the current generation?

This is only tangentially relevant, but I have several rechargeable batteries (probably about 5 years old) that I use in my mouse. It has been obvious for a while that their capacity per charge has been declining. And recently my bluetooth connection has been intermittent dropping. I put in some regular AA batteries and everything works seamlessly. My point is that batteries can get wonky and either produce spikes or drops that don't play well with digital circuitry.

Nikon batteries also contain, I believe, some digital circuitry that lets them 'talk' to the camera's hardware/software. It is possible that circuitry has partially failed as well. I've had this happen where the camera simply doesn't recognize the battery that previously worked.

Real Name
Don Risi
Well a battery problem is a lot less worrisome than a body problem.
Are all your batteries OEM and of the current generation?

This is only tangentially relevant, but I have several rechargeable batteries (probably about 5 years old) that I use in my mouse. It has been obvious for a while that their capacity per charge has been declining. And recently my bluetooth connection has been intermittent dropping. I put in some regular AA batteries and everything works seamlessly. My point is that batteries can get wonky and either produce spikes or drops that don't play well with digital circuitry.

Nikon batteries also contain, I believe, some digital circuitry that lets them 'talk' to the camera's hardware/software. It is possible that circuitry has partially failed as well. I've had this happen where the camera simply doesn't recognize the battery that previously worked.
All of my batteries are brand new Nikon EN-EL15c batteries.

After not experiencing this problem since my original post, it happened again this morning, but this time the camera actually shut down and would not turn back on. I finally pulled the battery grip off, put a battery directly in the camera, and tried turning it on. The camera fired right up, and behaved normally. I turned it back off, removed the batter, and reinstalled the grip. The camera come back on, and has worked perfectly since.

I got that same error message with my Z72, the FTZ and a 200-500 lens. It turned out the lens wasn't fully seated to FTZ contacts. I rotated the lens a little more and it works fine.

I've had a brand new Z7ii for about 10 days now, tried the 24-70F4 kit lens on day one and it was AOK, so I went and tried various F-mount lenses for the next few occasions..... (cos I have a few)

Yesterday I thought I haven't really tried the 24-70F4 that came with the camera so I slapped that on and went on walkabout:

This error came up several times during my walkabout, I think the first time the camera sort of locked up too - but maybe that was me panicking slightly as it was the first time I'd seen the error ! ,, checked the lens was on fully and securely installed, tried again and it was faulting on every other power up and shot attempt. !

I thought maybe I was being too quick to unlock the lens from its parked/locked position, so I tried slowing down, but I think I still got the error every so often.

Battery (15c) was 85-100% full at the time, I've no grip, the camera has worked flawlessly with the FTZ and F-mount lenses, I tried it several times at home and it behaved !?, it was fairly chilly out at the time, maybe 5c (but the camera has been used in that sort of temperature with the FTZ/f-mounts and has been fine)

My supplier is going to swap out the lens as I think it must be this at fault?, I don't have another z-mount to try/eliminate.

Not confidence building but we'll see what happens with a new lens.

I've had a brand new Z7ii for about 10 days now, tried the 24-70F4 kit lens on day one and it was AOK, so I went and tried various F-mount lenses for the next few occasions..... (cos I have a few)

Yesterday I thought I haven't really tried the 24-70F4 that came with the camera so I slapped that on and went on walkabout:

This error came up several times during my walkabout, I think the first time the camera sort of locked up too - but maybe that was me panicking slightly as it was the first time I'd seen the error ! ,, checked the lens was on fully and securely installed, tried again and it was faulting on every other power up and shot attempt. !

I thought maybe I was being too quick to unlock the lens from its parked/locked position, so I tried slowing down, but I think I still got the error every so often.

Battery (15c) was 85-100% full at the time, I've no grip, the camera has worked flawlessly with the FTZ and F-mount lenses, I tried it several times at home and it behaved !?, it was fairly chilly out at the time, maybe 5c (but the camera has been used in that sort of temperature with the FTZ/f-mounts and has been fine)

My supplier is going to swap out the lens as I think it must be this at fault?, I don't have another z-mount to try/eliminate.

Not confidence building but we'll see what happens with a new lens.
That's frustrating. I'm glad the seller will swap out the lens.

New lens arrives later today - pretty excellent customer service from HK to UK

I'll try and report back with the new lens, but having had several more sessions with just the FTZ and F-mount lenses I can say it's not happened , so it must have been something with that Z lens , or maybe it's some weirdness of the combination of Z lenses and the camera that's yet to come to light.

One thought I did have was maybe the aperture mechanism on it was sluggish for whatever reason as I pressed to focus, if it didn't open or close fast enough then the camera would report the error?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom