Z7ii -- "Error -- Press shutter-release to reset"

Real Name
Don Risi
Considering how new this camera is, I'd be surprised if anyone else is having this problem, much less knows what's really going on, but I'll run it up the flagpole, and see what anyone might have to say.

I was messing around this morning, thinking I was going to use it as a webcam for a meeting. When I do that, I set the c3 "Power off delay" Standby Timer to "No Limit" to make sure the camera didn't go to sleep during the meeting. Then, prior to the meeting, I changed my mind, and decided to go a different route. I thought I had reset the c3 "Power off delay" Standby Timer to its usual setting of 10 minutes. I may not have. I thought I turned the camera off. I may not have done that, either. Don't remember.

When I went back to the camera several hours later, it wouldn't focus any lens, and in manual mode, I got the message, "Error -- Press shutter-release to reset." I did that, and the camera would shut off completely. I turned the switch off, then then it back on, and get a message that the shutter was closed, and to begin taking photos, I needed to press the shutter release. I did so, but the camera immediately shut off again. This went on and on, regardless of settings or lens. It lasted ever so slightly longer in Aperture priority or Shutter priority, but P and M were and over and done thing.

Without thinking to check the battery levels, I pulled the battery grip off, and put a known fully charged battery in the camera. Everything worked fine.

I replaced both batteries in the grip with known fully charged batteries, and put the grip back on the camera. 80+ images later, and everything is still working fine.

I put both batteries that had been in the grip on chargers. One charged relatively quickly, the other is still charging (it's been less than an hour).

Has anyone else run into anything like this with one of the new Z cameras? I would have thought that if both batteries had died, the camera would simply shut off and not function when turned on, but I suppose the batteries could retain enough charge to cause all this mayhem.

Well a battery problem is a lot less worrisome than a body problem.
Are all your batteries OEM and of the current generation?

This is only tangentially relevant, but I have several rechargeable batteries (probably about 5 years old) that I use in my mouse. It has been obvious for a while that their capacity per charge has been declining. And recently my bluetooth connection has been intermittent dropping. I put in some regular AA batteries and everything works seamlessly. My point is that batteries can get wonky and either produce spikes or drops that don't play well with digital circuitry.

Nikon batteries also contain, I believe, some digital circuitry that lets them 'talk' to the camera's hardware/software. It is possible that circuitry has partially failed as well. I've had this happen where the camera simply doesn't recognize the battery that previously worked.

Real Name
Don Risi
Well a battery problem is a lot less worrisome than a body problem.
Are all your batteries OEM and of the current generation?

This is only tangentially relevant, but I have several rechargeable batteries (probably about 5 years old) that I use in my mouse. It has been obvious for a while that their capacity per charge has been declining. And recently my bluetooth connection has been intermittent dropping. I put in some regular AA batteries and everything works seamlessly. My point is that batteries can get wonky and either produce spikes or drops that don't play well with digital circuitry.

Nikon batteries also contain, I believe, some digital circuitry that lets them 'talk' to the camera's hardware/software. It is possible that circuitry has partially failed as well. I've had this happen where the camera simply doesn't recognize the battery that previously worked.
All of my batteries are brand new Nikon EN-EL15c batteries.

After not experiencing this problem since my original post, it happened again this morning, but this time the camera actually shut down and would not turn back on. I finally pulled the battery grip off, put a battery directly in the camera, and tried turning it on. The camera fired right up, and behaved normally. I turned it back off, removed the batter, and reinstalled the grip. The camera come back on, and has worked perfectly since.

I got that same error message with my Z72, the FTZ and a 200-500 lens. It turned out the lens wasn't fully seated to FTZ contacts. I rotated the lens a little more and it works fine.

I've had a brand new Z7ii for about 10 days now, tried the 24-70F4 kit lens on day one and it was AOK, so I went and tried various F-mount lenses for the next few occasions..... (cos I have a few)

Yesterday I thought I haven't really tried the 24-70F4 that came with the camera so I slapped that on and went on walkabout:

This error came up several times during my walkabout, I think the first time the camera sort of locked up too - but maybe that was me panicking slightly as it was the first time I'd seen the error ! ,, checked the lens was on fully and securely installed, tried again and it was faulting on every other power up and shot attempt. !

I thought maybe I was being too quick to unlock the lens from its parked/locked position, so I tried slowing down, but I think I still got the error every so often.

Battery (15c) was 85-100% full at the time, I've no grip, the camera has worked flawlessly with the FTZ and F-mount lenses, I tried it several times at home and it behaved !?, it was fairly chilly out at the time, maybe 5c (but the camera has been used in that sort of temperature with the FTZ/f-mounts and has been fine)

My supplier is going to swap out the lens as I think it must be this at fault?, I don't have another z-mount to try/eliminate.

Not confidence building but we'll see what happens with a new lens.

I've had a brand new Z7ii for about 10 days now, tried the 24-70F4 kit lens on day one and it was AOK, so I went and tried various F-mount lenses for the next few occasions..... (cos I have a few)

Yesterday I thought I haven't really tried the 24-70F4 that came with the camera so I slapped that on and went on walkabout:

This error came up several times during my walkabout, I think the first time the camera sort of locked up too - but maybe that was me panicking slightly as it was the first time I'd seen the error ! ,, checked the lens was on fully and securely installed, tried again and it was faulting on every other power up and shot attempt. !

I thought maybe I was being too quick to unlock the lens from its parked/locked position, so I tried slowing down, but I think I still got the error every so often.

Battery (15c) was 85-100% full at the time, I've no grip, the camera has worked flawlessly with the FTZ and F-mount lenses, I tried it several times at home and it behaved !?, it was fairly chilly out at the time, maybe 5c (but the camera has been used in that sort of temperature with the FTZ/f-mounts and has been fine)

My supplier is going to swap out the lens as I think it must be this at fault?, I don't have another z-mount to try/eliminate.

Not confidence building but we'll see what happens with a new lens.
That's frustrating. I'm glad the seller will swap out the lens.

New lens arrives later today - pretty excellent customer service from HK to UK

I'll try and report back with the new lens, but having had several more sessions with just the FTZ and F-mount lenses I can say it's not happened , so it must have been something with that Z lens , or maybe it's some weirdness of the combination of Z lenses and the camera that's yet to come to light.

One thought I did have was maybe the aperture mechanism on it was sluggish for whatever reason as I pressed to focus, if it didn't open or close fast enough then the camera would report the error?

I’m getting the same problems with Nikon 200-500 and Z7ii. Confirmed contacts are connected correctly. Switched between 2 fully charged en el15c batteries. Does not occur with 70-200f2.8g vr and Ftz. Does not occur with any other lenses. Does not occur with Z6ii with exactly the same setup and settings.

Considering how new this camera is, I'd be surprised if anyone else is having this problem, much less knows what's really going on, but I'll run it up the flagpole, and see what anyone might have to say.

I was messing around this morning, thinking I was going to use it as a webcam for a meeting. When I do that, I set the c3 "Power off delay" Standby Timer to "No Limit" to make sure the camera didn't go to sleep during the meeting. Then, prior to the meeting, I changed my mind, and decided to go a different route. I thought I had reset the c3 "Power off delay" Standby Timer to its usual setting of 10 minutes. I may not have. I thought I turned the camera off. I may not have done that, either. Don't remember.

When I went back to the camera several hours later, it wouldn't focus any lens, and in manual mode, I got the message, "Error -- Press shutter-release to reset." I did that, and the camera would shut off completely. I turned the switch off, then then it back on, and get a message that the shutter was closed, and to begin taking photos, I needed to press the shutter release. I did so, but the camera immediately shut off again. This went on and on, regardless of settings or lens. It lasted ever so slightly longer in Aperture priority or Shutter priority, but P and M were and over and done thing.

Without thinking to check the battery levels, I pulled the battery grip off, and put a known fully charged battery in the camera. Everything worked fine.

I replaced both batteries in the grip with known fully charged batteries, and put the grip back on the camera. 80+ images later, and everything is still working fine.

I put both batteries that had been in the grip on chargers. One charged relatively quickly, the other is still charging (it's been less than an hour).

Has anyone else run into anything like this with one of the new Z cameras? I would have thought that if both batteries had died, the camera would simply shut off and not function when turned on, but I suppose the batteries could retain enough charge to cause all this mayhem.
I have exactly the same problem with my new Z7II. I bought it in about May-June, 2021. Initially, the camera worked well, but at some point, this message appears almost at every attempt to shoot, and does not allow me to work normally. In particular, the problem immediately appears once I touch the lens front to rotate polarizing filter, then my guess is that the electronic contacts of it with the body are not good. The problem also appears with using another lens, so my second guess is that it is matter of the body, but not lens. I am attaching the screenshot. Do you have an idea what the heck is? Anyway, I am going to contact Nikon for that issue

FD62A182-C701-4CC3-BBF5-1CE7D22AD4A1.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I have had this problem with one of my Z cameras, and at the moment I don't remember which one. I have a Z6, a Z50, and a new Zfc. I think it was the Zfc.

It only happened once.

I had the same problem today with my Z6ii during a shoot with a client. I was getting the message about pressing the shutter release button or the camera shut off. I had to switch to my d750 to finish the session. When I got back home I was trying to figure out what was going on. I ended up noticing the battery grip was not tightly attached. After tightening the grip it seems to be working fine. I hope this was really the issue.

I've been getting this message occasionally lately on one of my Zfc cameras. I'm trying to determine if it happens with one particular lens.

The camera says "Err - press shutter release button to reset".

I suspect that it is because the lens is not seated properly, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet. It happened just now after I swapped the 18-140 for the 50MC micro.

So my D850 is in the shop and I had a concert shoot last night which gave me enough of an excuse to finally take the plunge for a new Z7 II. I got it with new FTZ adapter and the MB-N11 battery grip. At first I used my 2.8 24-70 and all was good. Then when I switched to the 2.8 70-200 I started getting the error. At first I was confused but being Nikon vet I know sometimes the software can detour south so I tried a few things I was familiar with. I reseated both the adapter ring and the lens to the adapter. At first things got worse. The error was coming and going and I couldn't clear it or take any photos. Finally I took off the N11 and put it back on and it seemed to have cleared the problem. I didn't see the error anymore during the shoot. I will admit one of the batteries in the N11 was an older EL15. Not an EL15c. If its as simple as upgrading one battery that would be great but it looks like there might be several causes to this symptom.

In my case. I think it's only occurring with the 50MC micro. I've been traveling in Sicily for the past two weeks and have not seen it happen once. I left the 50MC at home.

Fwiw, it happened to me once when I forgot to turn off the camera when I switched lenses. Sounds like the camera is losing connection to the lens. Make sure you turn off the camera between changes and ensure the lens is fully attached to the mount.

While I have yet to experience this error on my Z6/7, I did meet a young man yesterday who has a Z7ii and had experienced it with his camera (not sure what lenses he uses). His fix: Turn the camera OFF. Remove the lens. Turn the camera ON and press the shutter release. Turn the camera OFF and re-attach the lens. All should be good (or it has been for him since he did this some months ago).

This is concerning this problem still exists. I’ve taken a few thousand pictures with my Z7ii working with two batteries and not grip. Because the Z7ii chews through batteries I ordered the grip. The first problem was the grip was out of stock, then Nikon batteries were out of stock. So finally last night with the new grip and one full and one battery showing an 80% chrgethe camera kept locking up with the error message. As I kept releasing the shutter it kept locking up until the camera finally just shut down. Not knowing this was a problem I tried removing the grip, it was the only thing that changed. I began shooting without the grip and using one battery. The same batteries I used when the camera kept locking up. No problem

I’m concerned because I already owned a pair of SB5000’s and again after getting the Z7 I ordered the remote trigger. After waiting because it too was shut of stock the remote trigger would not work because it did not have the correct firmware. You cannot download the firmware update so I called the certified Nikon repair shop. They also are not allowed by Nikon to install the download. You MUST send the remote card to Nikon to have the firmware installed - weeks of delay. When I was shopping the SB5000’s two years ago this problem was identified and known by Nikon but Nikon did nothing to fix it. More than two years later Nikon is selling new remote triggers with old firmware. Is this battery grip now the same type of problem now?

Latest threads

Top Bottom