Critique Z7ii goes to church...

Yesterday I took the time to test my Z7ii and 14-24 2.8 S at a local church--the Annunciation Byzantine Catholic Church in Homer Glen, Illinois. Three of the four images were captured with the new 14-24 lens and one with the Sigma 15mm fisheye (and FTZ adaptor).

Very few buildings are left open to the public--due to COVID or the risk of vandalism. This church is always open. When I arrived, I was the only one on the grounds. As usual, the door was open so I entered the church for some photography. I had to move the pews around to make them more symmetrical. I also had to turn on the lights.

About 30 minutes into my photo shoot, the priest entered the church. I quickly told him that I would put everything back the way it was before I left. His only question was if I wanted him to adjust the brightness of the lighting! By the way, he painted the entire interior of this church personally.

2021-04-29 untitled shoot-33-HDR.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2021-04-29 untitled shoot-16-HDR.jpg

2021-04-29 untitled shoot-36-HDR.jpg

2021-04-29 untitled shoot-17-HDR.jpg

So far, I am very impressed with the Z7ii, the FTZ adaptor and the 14-24 S.

Glenn

Beautiful (as always) Glenn.
Thanks Allan
Wonderful set! Interesting that the priest is also the painter.

It is to be expected that Glenn would go to Homer Glen to continue testing his new camera system. Please, please tell me that Homer Glen has a baseball stadium. :D
Thank you, Mike...no stadium, but a nice baseball field complex.

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Stunning images, Glenn! I enjoy studying your compositions....great way to learn! The colorful details seem very sharp and the colors seem accurate. I'm anxiously awaiting your review of the Z7ii and associated "S" lenses! Especially comparing the D850 versus the Z7ii!!!! LOL!

Stunning images, Glenn! I enjoy studying your compositions....great way to learn! The colorful details seem very sharp and the colors seem accurate. I'm anxiously awaiting your review of the Z7ii and associated "S" lenses! Especially comparing the D850 versus the Z7ii!!!! LOL!
Thanks Karen...once I get a chance to use the camera and lenses more I will definitely share my thoughts on how they compare to the D850.

Glenn

Thanks Bohdan...I'm still not sure how he was able to paint the ceiling with such precision.

Glenn
some of the Ukrainian churches in Canada were painted in a similar style, by only a few well known painters. They were much in demand and understandably interiors took years to complete. The icon murals in this church are very similar to the Greek Catholic Churches that I was brought up in.

Last edited:
These are wonderful.
I hope you are able to share them with the priest. In my experience the gift of a few unexpected prints is quite well received. And I am always surprised the additional doors they open.
Thanks for sharing these wonderful images.
gary

Beautiful work Glenn. Amazing church - and priest.
Thank you, Ron
WOW glorious pictures, but painted by hand "Patience is a virtue" can you imagine the patience it took to paint this.
Thanks Tony...at it probably took even more patience when he had to repaint large areas due to either fading issues or water damage.
Beautiful work!
Thank you, Alex
Stunning images as usual, Glenn! Such a beautiful church to which you have done justice with these brilliant images.
Thanks Lance
some of the Ukrainian churches in Canada were painted in a similar style, by only a few well known painters. They were much in demand and understandably interiors took years to complete. The icon murals in this church are very similar to the Greek Catholic Churches that I was brought up in.
Yes...I have photographed many churches throughout the United States and this church is also very similar to the other Greek Catholic Churches that I have visited.
These are wonderful.
I hope you are able to share them with the priest. In my experience the gift of a few unexpected prints is quite well received. And I am always surprised the additional doors they open.
Thanks for sharing these wonderful images.
gary
Thank you, Gary...I visited this church two years ago and captured a collection of 60 photographs of the interior and exterior of the building. I gave all of the full resolution digital files to the priest to use as he wishes. I do that whenever I visit a church.
Amazing. I love all of it. The images, knowing the priest painted the interior. All of it. Just beautiful.
Thank you!
The photos are wonderful. The story of the church is so inspirational!
Thanks Terri

Glenn

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom