Critique Z7ii goes to church...

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
What an amazingly colourful church.

Your encounter with the priest reminds me of a similar encounter I had with a priest in a small church I photographed once. I had come back with "proper gear" to re photograph the church and he had somehow seen my pictures I shot the first time on my Blog. He removed some distracting stuff and after a pleasant conversation left me to carry on.

I have had caretakers of minor monuments turn on the lights and stuff, as they are happy sombody is taking an interest in their cherished place.

What an amazingly colourful church.

Your encounter with the priest reminds me of a similar encounter I had with a priest in a small church I photographed once. I had come back with "proper gear" to re photograph the church and he had somehow seen my pictures I shot the first time on my Blog. He removed some distracting stuff and after a pleasant conversation left me to carry on.

I have had caretakers of minor monuments turn on the lights and stuff, as they are happy sombody is taking an interest in their cherished place.
I have similar experiences at a number of churches and theaters. One time I was photographing an old theater in Louisville and my contact at the theater was directing employees to move rather large pieces of furniture to improve the compositions. They also adjusted the lighting to my liking and let me shoot interior shots with and without the curtains closed in front of the stage.

I photographed the Great Hall at the University of Illinois and they rolled out a grand piano on the stage to help with those compositions!

Often times, it's a matter of getting in contact with the right people...treating them right...and providing them with free high resolution photographs from the session. Some of the theaters used the photos in their marketing--website and brochures.

Glenn

That is a stunning church. Unbelievable job by the painter, must have had divine support! What a great place to test out the sharpness and color rendering of your new gear.
Thanks John...I mentioned to the priest that I was testing new gear (and that I had photographed the interior several times before). It's a lot more fun testing the lens in the church than shooting a brick wall!

Glenn
WOW! These are beautiful images. Outstanding composition, and the colors are beautiful!
Thank you, Dave

Glenn

Wonderful work! You seem to have a knack for photographing structures devoted to religion. I remember those amazing images you took on the Conference Centre in Salt Lake City a few years ago...

F64

Real Name
Greg
Yesterday I took the time to test my Z7ii and 14-24 2.8 S at a local church--the Annunciation Byzantine Catholic Church in Homer Glen, Illinois. Three of the four images were captured with the new 14-24 lens and one with the Sigma 15mm fisheye (and FTZ adaptor).

So far, I am very impressed with the Z7ii, the FTZ adaptor and the 14-24 S.

Glenn
Your pictures are terrific! So sharp and saturated. What a wonderful subject. Made good use of that fisheye lens as well.
I've had similar experiences with the resident priests as well allowing me to photograph with a tripod - leaving the lights on after a service, etc., so I can take pictures. One of my favorites was Ste. Anne de Beaupre in Quebec.
I found I used my PC-E lenses a lot in the larger settings in order to keep verticals straight.

Your pictures are terrific! So sharp and saturated. What a wonderful subject. Made good use of that fisheye lens as well.
I've had similar experiences with the resident priests as well allowing me to photograph with a tripod - leaving the lights on after a service, etc., so I can take pictures. One of my favorites was Ste. Anne de Beaupre in Quebec.
I found I used my PC-E lenses a lot in the larger settings in order to keep verticals straight.
Thank you…
Glenn

We all have different strengths, and skills. You certainly have found one of yours.
As you noted, sharing the work opens many more doors.
I can't wait to see what is behind the next door.
gary
Thanks Gary...

I was thrilled to be schedule private access to a stunning basilica for this coming July. They offered to give me three hours inside the church...while the building is closed to visitors. I think part of the attraction for the church is that they are interested in the photographs. It's a win-win...I gain access and the church can use any of the high resolution files for whatever purposes they wish. I send them a portfolio of images from other churches while making the request...and also share a list of more than 250 churches that I have photographed throughout the United States.

I've done this with a few basilicas...most recently the St Josephat Basilica of Milwaukee and the Basilica of St Mary in Minneapolis. Both of those locations arranged for me to have private access behind closed doors. It makes for an amazing experience!

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom