Z7ii questions

HI Glenn - I have the Z6ii with Kirk BLZ L plate. Getting remote release cover open is a little fiddly but once open it does not interfere with the using a remote in either orientation.

I have used this bracket on my Kirk and Arca Swiss ballheads with and without the FTZ. No issues with fitting
Thank you...looks like I'll have to offset the L bracket on the Arca Swiss ballhead a bit when shooting in the vertical mode--which shouldn't be a problem.

Glenn

Not a solution to your concern, but regarding mirrorless chimping: you can do so in the EVF, which has three significant advantages (in my usage - YMMV):
  1. Much faster than rear screen chimping.
  2. Much less distracting to human subjects.
  3. Does not require reading glasses!
Thank you...I've had the mirrorless camera for a few hours now...and I'm learning these unanticipated benefits. Being able to use the EVF for review will also be beneficial in bright sunlight when the LCD is difficult to see.

Glenn

Don't the Nikon camera bodies have zebras? I think they were originally meant for showing overexposure when shooting video, but this setting also works quite nicely for still photography as well. I have my Sony set up with zebras that will display in the EVF at a certain exposure level (when the highlights in the scene are beginning to become overexposed) and that clues me in immediately to dial things back a bit. Also, yes, just as with DSLRs, one can review "blinkies" in playback, too, if desired. I used to "chimp" all the time when I used DSLRs. Now with my mirrorless cameras, no need to do that at all.
I'm new to mirrorless, but it appears to me that the Z7ii doesn't display blinkies in the EVF for still photography. I'm guessing this might be introduced in a future firmware update.

Glenn

As I said in my other post, zebras are different from "blinkies" and you can set up your camera so that you have zebras (black-and-white striping) displayed in your EVF when highlights are overexposed. In other words does the same thing as the blinkies but right in the EVF while you're shooting. No need to wait until you've already taken the shot to "chimp" at the results. Take a look in the Z7 II camera manual under "zebra" and you should find something, unless for some reason Nikon doesn't offer this function. It's actually meant for cinematic photography and videography but also does work nicely in still photography as well. I'd be surprised if Nikon doesn't have it, since I think it's fairly common in mirrorless cameras which include a video component.

That's interesting....... The Sony can take advantage of the zebra technology in both video and still photography modes. I find it very useful to be able to see right in the EVF (even when it's not already glaringly apparent that there is overexposure going on) that I'm right on the edge of highlights going over the hill of overexposure. Most of the time I DO see in the EVF when things are getting a tad dicey but sometimes I'm not noticing everything when I'm paying more attention to some particular aspect of the scene so the zebras suddenly popping up then alert me and remind me to pay more attention to the scene overall.

Just to clarify in case anyone is wondering, I do not shoot video at all, it's just not my thing. I have my A7R IV set up in Direct Manual Focus Mode (DMF), which means I can easily shift between full auto focus mode and manual focus if I need to refine my focus a little more, which is often the case when shooting macro. The camera also is set up with immediate Focus Peaking along with the zebra stripes each time I am focusing on a subject or scene. I think I also have the blinkies set up, too, in playback but it has been so long since I've "chimped" that I really don't remember for sure.

Take the time to try different exposure methods and ways to use the camera. I would bet you will find ways to use the system that are easier than with your SLRs. I have found myself using the blinkies less and less with my Z6 II. I watch the live histogram through the EVF and am starting to work with the WYSIWYG through the EVF to adjust exposures accordingly. I do the same thing with the LCD if it's not too bright outside. I really enjoy the mirrorless for macro work. I am getting superior results compared to the SLRs. I think I am ready to sell off a couple more SLRs I don't see myself using.

Take the time to try different exposure methods and ways to use the camera. I would bet you will find ways to use the system that are easier than with your SLRs. I have found myself using the blinkies less and less with my Z6 II. I watch the live histogram through the EVF and am starting to work with the WYSIWYG through the EVF to adjust exposures accordingly. I do the same thing with the LCD if it's not too bright outside. I really enjoy the mirrorless for macro work. I am getting superior results compared to the SLRs. I think I am ready to sell off a couple more SLRs I don't see myself using.
I'm already seeing several benefits when using the Z7ii. Being able to quickly view the blown highlights through the EVF prior to exposing the frame would be beneficial to me as well...and I'm expecting that Nikon will release this feature in a future firmware update. It seems like it wouldn't be overly difficult to accomplish this since Nikon offers it during playback and also with video.

Glenn

view the blown highlights through the EVF prior to exposing the frame would be beneficial to me as well...and I'm expecting that Nikon will release this feature in a future firmware update.

Don't hold your breath, Glenn. If they had wanted to include that feature with any of their five mirrorless cameras either upon release or as a firmware update, they would have done so. Yet that hasn't happened.

Right -- but what Glenn wants is to have blinkies showing up before he presses the shutter button, and apparently nobody does that, but the zebra function is a workaround used by some systems such as Sony. When I am looking through my EVF at a scene I can see immediately that, oops, an area of the scene is overexposed, highlights are out of control -- that's the zebra function kicking in. With that warning I can make the necessary adjustments before taking the shot.

Right -- but what Glenn wants is to have blinkies showing up before he presses the shutter button, and apparently nobody does that, but the zebra function is a workaround used by some systems such as Sony. When I am looking through my EVF at a scene I can see immediately that, oops, an area of the scene is overexposed, highlights are out of control -- that's the zebra function kicking in. With that warning I can make the necessary adjustments before taking the shot.
Yes, hence the bold playback in my post above!

Zebra's or blinkies on the evf before shooting changed the whole exposure game for me.
I now essentially always shoot in manual- picking the aperture and shutterspeed needed.
I have my iso set up on one of the rear camera dials, and I can just dial in what iso I need- and it takes less than a second. You do have to pay attention.
But when a white egret pops up next to the heron I was shooting- the blinkies make me immediately aware I have to dial down iso before even my first shot.
It makes my life easier- of coarse I am getting older and dumber so I need all the help I can get.
gary

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom