Z7ii questions

My new Z7ii arrived this afternoon. This is my first mirrorless camera and I had only a short time to play with it so far.

I very much like the idea of "what you see is what you get" when looking through the viewfinder. I was able to view helpful things such as a live histogram and focus peaking. I was a bit surprised that I couldn't view blown highlights ("blinkies") live, but rather had to check the picture on the back screen by playback in order to determine if I had any blown highlights. This seems like an important thing to view before pressing the shutter button. Perhaps I am missing something...but shouldn't there be a way to customize the display to see "blinkies"?

The FTZ adaptor seemed quite solid and works flawlessly with the F mount lens that I attached. I will be attaching a Kirk L Bracket to the Z7ii soon...and I am hoping that the FTZ adaptor doesn't get in the way of the L bracket as it connects with the quick release plate. Looks like it might be a close call.

Also, the L bracket will cover up the ports located on the side of the camera. I am hoping this doesn't interfere with my cable release--particularly when placed in the vertical position on the quick release clamp.

That's it so far...

Glenn
In the event that someone should revisit this thread down the line, I thought it would be a good idea to update this given what I now know after receiving the equipment:

1. At this time, the Z7ii does not display the blown highlights through the EVF preview. However, you can see the "blinkies" in playback mode.
  2. The FTZ adaptor does not get in the way of the L bracket. I've had no issues connecting the Z7ii to my Arca Swiss ballhead with or without the FTZ adaptor.
  3. The cable release easily connects to the camera port even with the Kirk L-bracket attached. The L-bracket doesn't get in the way of the cable when placed in the horizontal or vertical position when it is attached to the ballhead.
Overall, I'm pleased...no inconveniences so far other than I would like to see some kind of blown highlight display in advance. I can live without that for now.

I also received the 14-24 S lens...along with filters. The filters attached in seconds and are super easy to remove and attach. I have the circular polarizer attached to one of the lens hoods...so all I have to do is snap that lens hood in place and I have that filter on the lens. I went with the NiSi square filter system for ND's...couldn't be easier. I'm quite pleased.

Glenn

I've been using circular filters since about 1985 and I've never heard of or thought of that idea. Very clever!
I thought so...

The square filters for ND are also very convenient. In the past, the process would go something like this with the 14-24:

Determine a good exposure for the scene with the massive, fragile ND filter removed. Then, compute what the exposure time will be when the 10 stop ND filter is attached and dial that in manually into the camera. Set the focus. Screw on that cumbersome filter into the adaptor kit on the lens. Take a picture. Determine that maybe the 6 stop would be better--or determine that you need a less powerful ND filter due to rapidly falling light at dusk. Unscrew the 10 stop. Determine the exposure without the 6 stop...dial that in manually. Attach the 6 stopper...not quick given the finicky threading. And so forth.

Now, it takes a second to slide one filter out and slide the next one in. No threads...no hassle. And, the filters are a fraction of the size of the ones for the older 14-24.

Glenn

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom