Z7's Large File Slows Down PC Processing

Since I got the Z7, I am feeling a clear stress when I use the Nikon View NX. I usually use a JPEG, but zooming in the View NX is often times slow (have to wait a few seconds or more). I have 12 GB RAM on my PC with Intel i7, but I do not have a graphics accelerator... (I know that's bad). I wonder if increasing memory to 16 GB will help somewhat?

How much empty space do you have on your HD? More space, or an additional drive for Scratch, may be all that you need although a modern GPU would help considerably.

I find the same thing happens with all my Nikon raw files compared to other brands. When zooming it, it's a tad slower to bring up full resolution when editing raws. I notice it with my D750 and even Nikon 1 J5 raw files when editing in ACR. My Sony files load up a bit quicker when zooming in.

Real Name
Andy
@makoto honda I think you have enough RAM to be able to work with files from the Z7/D850. Both View NX and Lightroom are slow to render large NEF files. Speed on the latter can be improved by building 100% previews at the time of import, but that just means you do all your waiting up front.

About 18 months ago, I added Photo Mechanic to my workflow for initial culling and sorting of images. PM ingests images extremely fast and displays them at any size with essentially zero lag. Zooming to 100% to check critical focus is practically instantaneous. PM also has drag-and-drop functionality to intuitively move images into their own folders, edit them in Lightroom, etc. (BTW, I gain nothing if you decide to buy the PM software, except perhaps the knowledge that it has met your "need for speed")

Thank you for all the information. I suppose the 12GB of RAM should be enough.... I do have enough hard disk space (2TB) though I do not have SSD in this laptop. I know that, for Photoshop 2018, I can tell Photoshop how much memory it can use. It was about 8 GB. I increased it to 80% (about 10GB). That may help for Photoshop processing. I wonder if View NX has a similar Preference setting....

Thank you for all the information. I suppose the 12GB of RAM should be enough.... I do have enough hard disk space (2TB) though I do not have SSD in this laptop. I know that, for Photoshop 2018, I can tell Photoshop how much memory it can use. It was about 8 GB. I increased it to 80% (about 10GB). That may help for Photoshop processing. I wonder if View NX has a similar Preference setting....
You refereed to a PC so I assume you are running Windows either 7 or 10. There are several things that can impact a PC that slows it down:

1. Regular long term use of Windows. Over a period of time Windows OS just slows down and becomes less efficient. This is a result of changes to the register file. It is NOT something you want to manually clean up as it could render your computer use less. How quickly this happens depends on how many programs are installed and uninstalled over a period of time. The installation programs make changes to your registry file. However, when program are uninstalled the registry entries are not removed - companies do not want to be responsible for rendering your computer unusable.
2. Depending on the website you visit, ads you click on, etc. bloatware, malware, adware can be installed on your computer. I assume you have an antivirus program. Most of these will identify and protect against computer viruses but many don't do anything to protect or prevent bloatware or adware installed on your computer. This is generally done without your knowledge or consent.
3. Disk fragmentation - as files are saved and modified over time they are read from and written to the disk numerous times. This does cause information to be fragmented on your disk over time. As a result the disk needs to be defragmented. Windows used to have a program to do this (I use MacOS). It would analyze your disk and recommend whether the defrag utility should be run.
4. Also how efficiently the program was written determines how quickly it works. I dont use View NX so I cant compare, but Adobe has worked over the last 18 months to improve the LR code to improve efficiency and speed up its program. Personally I think they have improved the system. I look at Adobe as a software house but Nikon is not. I dont know who does their software development if its internal or external, but that could also be adding to the problem.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
What have you expected with large files like these?
It's the reason I'm not buying a D850 - I'll need a complete new PC then...

Kind regards
Klaus

I am not an experienced Adobe user. I have been using View NX for organizing my photos, but the processing the Z7 files is very slow. Now I tried the LR CC and it is almost instantaneous for the manipulation of the same Z7 file... But I do not like the fact that I have to "import" files first to even just see them in LR CC. I do not feel comfortable moving many shots to the cloud.... Am I using the LR wrong way?

It is necessary to "Import" images into its Catalogue when using Lr.

I don't like, or need, Lr's catalogue so I use Bridge (which is a File Browser) instead and can then open my NEFs from Bridge directly into ACR (which is the same RAW Converter as the one in Lr.)

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Capture One has sessions and catalogs. Capture One catalogs are much like Adobe Lightroom catalog. Capture One sessions are closer to Adobe Bridge, except you get all of the editing features. Sessions give you a file-based workflow. Copy the images from card to the "Capture" folder at any time. Next time you open the "session", Capture One sees them and off you go. All metadata and adjustments are stored in files vs a catalog.

Here is an excellent 1-hour webinar describing and illustrating the differences.

Capture One is offering 15% off through June 3rd.
Capture One Limited Offer

Real Name
Andy
I am not an experienced Adobe user. I have been using View NX for organizing my photos, but the processing the Z7 files is very slow. Now I tried the LR CC and it is almost instantaneous for the manipulation of the same Z7 file... But I do not like the fact that I have to "import" files first to even just see them in LR CC. I do not feel comfortable moving many shots to the cloud.... Am I using the LR wrong way?
Probably well beyond the scope of this thread, but the "import" function in LR is really just a cataloging function. In other words, by importing, you're only telling LR where a file is located. The file does not have to be moved to the cloud, but LR CC by default makes a copy of it there without deleting your original. Like you, I do not have great faith or need for this function.

However, the issue of rendering that file for viewing remains. In this respect, LR can be quite slow, in some cases, no better than View NX. Various software options exist with a much smaller RAM footprint. These will render NEF (and for that matter all RAW formats) very quickly for review. It might be worth your time to try some 30-day free trials of them. I did so with Photo Mechanic last year and was hooked. Since then, it has saved me a great deal of time.

@makoto honda I think you have enough RAM to be able to work with files from the Z7/D850. Both View NX and Lightroom are slow to render large NEF files. Speed on the latter can be improved by building 100% previews at the time of import, but that just means you do all your waiting up front.

About 18 months ago, I added Photo Mechanic to my workflow for initial culling and sorting of images. PM ingests images extremely fast and displays them at any size with essentially zero lag. Zooming to 100% to check critical focus is practically instantaneous. PM also has drag-and-drop functionality to intuitively move images into their own folders, edit them in Lightroom, etc. (BTW, I gain nothing if you decide to buy the PM software, except perhaps the knowledge that it has met your "need for speed")
Huge fan of PM. IPTC variables and Code Replacement, I would be lost without those.

Can you not disable the send-a-copy-to-the-cloud? I use the "Classic" version of Lightroom CC and never use Adobe's cloud storage.

Regarding import, as Ann_JS notes, LR copies the files to a folder location you can control via the import dialog. This is no different than any of the other software tools mentioned in this thread. The difference is that LR also creates entries in a DAM (Digital Asset Management) database for each image. These entries include, among many other things, the location of the image in the computer's file system. The big difference with LR is that you must manage that image file and its enclosing folder from within LR (in the Library module) or LR may lose track of it.

Any replacement/add-on for file ingestion and review would have to be MUCH faster than LR and/or add compelling features for me to spend my money and add extra steps to my workflow.

I've never tried PM. Can't remember exactly why but IIRC at one time it was PC only or maybe I'm getting it confused with FastStone.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom