1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Z7's MASP & U123 Confusion

Discussion in 'Nikon Z Mirrorless Forum' started by makoto honda, May 26, 2019.

1. makoto honda

makoto honda

Nov 3, 2018
    I talked about this before, but it is still a bit confusing. Of all 200 or so items you can set in the Z7/Z6, most of the items are "savable" in the User Presets U123. A few things (10-15) are NOT savable.

For these non-savable things (one example is Release mode, like Single or Low/High shooting), the situation is pretty clear: You can set this anywhere (MASP & U123) and your new change becomes effective and available everywhere (MASP & U123), and is automatically saved forever, even if you turn off the camera - until you change it again.

For the savable items (one example is Image Quality-RAW, JPEG...), you can also change this anywhere, but if you do it in MASP, it becomes permanently available in MASP (like non-savables above). However, if you do it in U123, your change is available only in that one U mode, and only until you move out of that U mode. If you turn off the power, the new change is lost.

We have to be very clear with this saving paradigm of the Z cameras, because you do not want to find out at the end of a long shooting day that you have forgotten to set the image quality to RAW.

In my struggle to understand this Z user-interface, I wrote a book: How to Use Nikon Z - My Way (Amazon). I added some pictures I posted here also. Looking at the photo in the computer monitor is one thing, but seeing it in the print is the ultimate test. I am satisfied how my Z7 pictures came out in print.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.