1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Zane... CC Needed (Updated pic)

Discussion in 'People' started by JohnC, Oct 2, 2008.

1. My screen isn't color calibrated and I adjusted this in NX2 because it seemed to have a lot of red and some yellow on her skin tone. Is it fixed or did I make it worse? :confused: 

Any other problems? This is only my second shoot ever (first was daytime with the D80 and this was at night with the D300), so I hope to get better with all the cafe's help!

Zane at Opryland Hotel :smile:

1st edit below
    http://home.comcast.net/~nx330mustang/Zane_D300.jpg

2nd attempt edited in LR2...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  2. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi Zane
    I think this is an excellent portrait - beautiful subject and I like the shallow DOF. You might want to try not having her so centered next time - have her eyes in one of the intersections of the rule of third grid?

I think the colors are a little off - did you shoot RAW? You can fix the white balance. I ran a quick color/contract fix and saw a big difference, I can post below if I have your permission

Keep taking portraits - I think this is a great start!

3. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Sorry John - just realised your name is not Zane!

4. John - Very nice photo. A simple levels adjustment would also help this photo. There is a small shine sopt on her nose, clone it out too. Well worth a slight more edit, this is a wonderful portrait. Well done!

5. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    My take on this portrait. Gray levels set to make denim appear denim, fixed spot on nose and cropped. agressive USM applied due to a little softness...

[​IMG]

6. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I think it looks good John. My only concern with the image is so looks bored. It's like "Ho hum take my picture and be done with it". I do see a lot of noise. Care to send me the original file and I can see what I can do to it?

7. What lens did you use here. That's some funky looking bokeh.

8. Still looks a bit yellow to me.

9. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Looks like a wide open 50/1.8 (which might explain the softness tjk60 mentioned. I know my copy is noticably soft wide open) from the exif, and a brick wall at just the necessary distance to make it look odd.

10. I'll load the raw on nikon my picture town and send you the link, Seneca. Thank you for the help! :smile:

Oh, I have some better pictures from this night where she is smiling. I'll dig one up and send it to you with the above photo.

To everyone else, thanks for the help! I still don't know the D300 well enough and it seems a lot more difficult for me to get the w/b right. Especially in a dark spot with shadows and mixed light sources. :redface:

11. Sent the link, Seneca! :smile:

12. photofox

photofox

Jun 8, 2008
    Over here
    Beautiful model and an interesting scene. I think you got a good shot, but like mentioned it's very yellow. I hope you don't mind but I tried a colour correction (need the practise :)  ) as well as some noise reduction. I can also help out with the original if you like. Also applied a slight vignette to tone down the lights in the background.

Zane_D300.

13. All of you are welcome to edit these and post them. It helps me and if it helps you practice, it's a win/win! :smile:

Link to 10 RAW NEF's of Zane.

14. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Here's your image run through a pro contrast/color correct filter

p638364593-4.

Not sure if it helps...

15. Looks a lot better than what came out of my camera! :smile:

16. Here is a couple entirely different idea's with your lovely photo. I anticipate most will reject the conversion idea, but so be it.

View attachment 261714

17. My take on the image - levels and curves adjustment.
    [​IMG]

And a b&w
    [​IMG]

18. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, John --

IMHO, a calibrated screen is key to getting your color "right." Also it will help you see what others are doing in their edits of your image. These days, you can get a decent calibration system for around $100 or so. Highly Recommended.

That aside, I like your image -- and have enjoyed the commentary and alternative 'takes' by the other posters! Keep up the good work ...

Best Regards,

19. These edits you all worked on look great! :smile:

Thanks for the help and advice, everyone! I'm taking it all in and hope to be as good as you folks at PP soon. :biggrin:

20. OK, re-worked the photo. How is this edit? :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.