Zebras, giraffe and an orangutan

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Rick727, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    I shot these a couple of weeks ago at the Philly Zoo. All were taken with a D80 and 70-300 VR lens hand held.

535918216_5b68d51d37_o.

512158571_249fb8a0cd_o.

512158569_19277031bc_o.

Comments and suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2007
  2. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Maybe I didn't get any comments because the first three were so bad. Any suggestions on what to do the next time to improve them is always appreciated.

Maybe these better.

[​IMG]

512158577_cb0bd60636_o.

512158585_decadc89bc_o.

3. Rick,

These are nice! I really need to get to a zoo.

Mike

4. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    I think there great I have the 70-300VR I need to get to a zoo as well.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice images
    Usually at the zoo light is against you. Getting too pics at a zoo is usually a tough shoot.
    Thats why I don't go to my little zoo here very often any more. I gave up..
    They open to late and you miss the sweet light in morning and close to early missing the sweet light in the afternoon.
    Then all the processing trying to get a decent image.
    When the light ain't right is is a crap shoot for sure

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    nice images. the Orang. must have been a little bette if you could have used your flash for fill. I often take my SB800 with me if I go to a wildlife park or zoo - just to help out in the shadows....

7. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Mike, Tony, Gale and Jeff, thank you for your positive comments.

Gale, I agree with you about the times zoos open and close. If I remeber right, the Philly Zoo opens at 9:30 and closes at 5. Definitely not prime photography times. I got a little lucky the day I went because it was overcast in the morning and the light wasn't too harsh.

Jeff, thanks for the comment about using a fill flash. I'll keep that in mind the next time.

8. Rick, the turtles look great. As to the others, I think the white balance of the orang utan is too cold or too green/blueish. Shot through some window?
    The zebra shot I find a bit unlucky regarding the composition because you cut of the head of the nearer one, same about the ear of the giraffe (though it looks a bit funny nevertheless).
    The composition of the elephants is very nice, the crop of the duck a bit thight. So much for my suggestions, I hope they aren't too harsh.

(Note to myself: Search big turtles in the zoo.)

9. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Daniel,

"Shot through some window?" Exactly, you've got a good eye. I was surprised it came out as well as it did. The window was pretty dirty.

"The zebra shot I find a bit unlucky regarding the composition because you cut of the head of the nearer one?" I've wondered if it would be better with the other head in the shot (And you're right, it probably would.), but I still like the way this one came out. It has a somewhat of an abstract look to it with the other neck running across the bottom of it.

"the turtles look great" "The composition of the elephants is very nice" Thank you

"same about the ear of the giraffe (though it looks a bit funny nevertheless)" "the crop of the duck a bit thight" I agree with you on both accounts. The giraffe was standing still and I have no excuse for why I didn't get a better shot. The duck on the other hand was running around a lot and got lucky to get what I got.

"I hope they aren't too harsh" Not at all. This is exactly the type of feed back I was looking for. I appreciate your comments and will try to learn from them.