Zeiss 25mm or 28mm?

Although I purchased the 25mm yesterday, I did think long and hard about the 28mm. In the end it came down to budget and the fact that I have the Nikon 35mm G, so the shop recommended I get the 25mm. I`m aware its a grade below the 28mm, but interested in comments. No regrets as I say it was budget related, but frank comments welcome...

Among these two, I only tried the 28 and didn't like it too much. But my understanding is that the 25 is better, i.e. it doesn't have the field curvature of the 28. Also, it focuses closer. The only downside is that it's one stop slower (f2.8) which can make the manual focus a bit harder. I think you bought the right one.

The ZF 28 has more features(f/2, floating elements) but that doesn't make the ZF 25 an inferior lens. The 28 has noticeable lateral ca that must often be corrected in post.

Thorsten, while it may not have the field curvature of the 28mm, it still has filed curvature.

I'm busy writing a review which should hopefully be ready by next week.

While I REALY like the 25 for what it brings to the table, but I find that it has too much vignetting and light transmission differences in an aperture series.

HERE is the field curvature image sample, and HERE is an aperture series. (please allow for about 2mb background loading)

Enjoy your lens, Britinjapan. I dont think one should regret anything. It's another tool in the bag, and a really funky one at that.

Best,
Martin

D

Deleted member 638

According to several tests I've read, I have understood that the 25 suffers strong field curvature in close-ups, due to a lack of floating elements' design.

HERE is the field curvature image sample, and HERE is an aperture series.
Nice test Martin.
Please inform us when your review is on-line.
Thanx.

D

Deleted member 638

OFF TOPIC

Among these two, I only tried the 28 and didn't like it too much.
Hi Tom, I guess you like the ZF.2 35/2 much more :biggrin:
Could you briefly explain what you didn't like about 28? Field curvature?
How does it compare to 35/2 in terms of overall image rendition?
Thanx.
Best,

These are both very fine lenses, both perfectly capable of producing stunning images that will make you forget about the lenses that you chose not to buy.

So enjoy!

I have the 25 mm, and for some time was thinking about the 21 mm. Which is more then twice as expensive.

I went to the dealer, and tried the 21. Back at home, I checked the results of the 21 against the 25 mm.... and I decided that the 21 mm is NOT twice as good as the 25 mm.... just wider.

I know that lens test may prove me wrong, but in my opinion the real world rating is not like 7 for 25 / 9 for 21 (or 35), but more like 9- for the 25 / 9 for the other ones. Some may call the 25 the runt of the litter, but that is an insult to an outstandingly performing lens, with in my opinion the best price/performance ratio of all Zeiss lenses.

Choose the focal length that suits you best. Take pictures. You will enjoy that wonderfull 3D colour experience with any Zeiss....

Thymen

Many thanks for all the views and comments!

DSC_5666.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have the 25 mm, and for some time was thinking about the 21 mm. Which is more then twice as expensive.

I went to the dealer, and tried the 21. Back at home, I checked the results of the 21 against the 25 mm.... and I decided that the 21 mm is NOT twice as good as the 25 mm.... just wider....

Thymen

As you no doubt know, you shouldn't expect the 21 to be twice as good as the 25. The point is its much harder to make a 21mm that performs as well as a 25, so its bound to be more expensive even for the same performance.

Is it worth it? That depends on how much value you put on the different focal lengths. If you need a 21, a 25's no substitute. If you need a 25, a 21 isn't worth the money.

Hi Tom, I guess you like the ZF.2 35/2 much more :biggrin:
Could you briefly explain what you didn't like about 28? Field curvature?
How does it compare to 35/2 in terms of overall image rendition?

It was mostly the strong field curvature. Even stopped down a few stops, landscapes were sharp at different distances depending where it was in the frame. Lloyd Chambers says this "feature" can actually be taken advantage of for creative purposes. Maybe so, but it was driving me crazy. Other than this, it's a terrific lens and similar in sharpness and rendering as the 35. The other reason I didn't keep the 28 was that I already had the 35, I never go out with more than 2 or 3 lenses at most, and so the 28 never came out. If it didn't have that field curvature, it would be a perfect one-stop solution for folks who don't want to carry both 35 and 24/25mm lenses around.

Latest threads

Top Bottom