Zeiss 35/2 First Shot

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by davewolfs, Jun 8, 2007.

1. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Here is my first shot, it is nothing interesting so I am not asking for critique. But it does demonstrate bokeh and center sharpness. This was shot hand held and shot wide open f/2.0.

Without any sharpening.

[​IMG]

100% Crop no sharpening.

[​IMG]

With sharpening.

[​IMG]

Crop Sharp.

[​IMG]

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    talk about a great lens

3. OK, I'm lusting.

How did you focus this? Do you use a focusing screen?

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Fabulous sharpness and incredibly smooth bokeh, great lens!

5. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    I purchased a Katz-Eye with the Optibrite treatment. Without this I think it would be difficult to focus. Although your eyes might be better then mine.

The Katz eye makes focusing very simple and the view finder is nice and bright.

I am going to try to take some landscapes with this over the weekend. As an aside the smoothness and quality of this lens is nothing like I have ever seen. Solid metal construction and focusing is smooth as silk.

6. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

These lenses are made by Cosina, who also previously manufactured under the label "Voigtlander". Their 40mm is a superb lens with a distinct family resemblance to the Zeiss at a fraction of the cost. They also have a 90/3.5 and a 135/4 in the range still available - but alas these lenses have been discontinued in favor of the Zeiss range.

7. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Cosina manufacturing, Zeiss Design and Standards of Quality.

I really think the fact that they are manufactured in Japan vs Germany is irrelevant.

8. That bokeh is so smooth and creamy... tastey! Thanks for sharing!

9. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    nice, such creamy Bokeh! Very nice

10. Huh? I don't think Patrick was talking down the Cosina/Zeiss lenses, I think he was talking up the Cosina/Voigtlander lenses--not surprising since the 40mm ultron is supposed to be a wonderful lens.

Greg

11. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    My bad!

Hopefully I will have some more interesting compositions to post later.

12. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

Dave - no prob. I was indeed talking up the Voigtlander lenses because there are only a few left and they are extremely good value. Cosina is one of those "names" that does not immediately conjure up the quality sign, but they do in fact make superlative lenses. I have the 90/3.5 and was blown away by it - puts in mind of the 85/1.4 for only $175 (which is what I paid for it). There is in fact a thread on the 40 Ultron and some sample shots.

PatrickH:biggrin:

13. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    I think my lens may be a lemon. There is extremely high CA when wide open in a high contrast scene.

Scene:

[​IMG]

f2

[​IMG]

f4

[​IMG]

14. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I wouldn't say thats extremely high CA, infact it looks about right for wide open, even the best of lenses don't always get CA corrected.

15. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    I have just been told this by someone else too. Is there anyway to remove this?

16. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

Many of the editing software can do this. I use Bibble and it allows CA correction, as does Photoshop.