1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Showcase Zeiss 35mm f/2.0

Discussion in 'Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Steinar, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    I will be happy, if we can se some pics from this lens.

I have read som many places that it should be a fantastic lens and - ..and that counts a lot for me - nearly no flare/ghosting.

-----

The lens is manual focusing, and I am sorry about that, but I want to learn, so good advices are very welcome.

My experience with manual focusing is not my best experience, when I try it at my back up camera, Nikon D40, with my 10,5mm - I often only got a blinking green dot, not a stable one, and some says - I found out by searching - that even a stable green dot is not enough to be sure the focus is nailed.

I do this: Try to get it sharp with my eyes only, and then look for the green dot end then alter at bit to get it stable, but often only blinking.

Then there is the catseye - never tryed it ?

I shoot with D200, but lusting for the D700, and here it is maybe easier.

Thank you.

Best from Denmark

Steinar

2. I shot mine yesterday. Will process later and post Steinar.

gene

3. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you, Gene C, look forward to see them.

4. Actually I shot these yesterday with my new D700. They are not great examples being shot in overcast conditions, all at F 5.6, raw and converted in NX2, picture control was DX3 with default sharpening which is 2 or nearly nothing. No USM of any kind added, only minor adjustments. Nothing really worth noting but Steinar asked and I complied.

kayaks-4.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 233696

View attachment 233697

Another one, this one at F2.

View attachment 233698

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
  5. Sorry Steinar, new camera and new lens, not much to post, just junk actually.

Gene

6. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you, Gene, nothing to be sorry about - the weather considered I can interpretate, that is has very good colors - VERY - and with no USM I think it is OK sharp right from the camera.

I think that with some USM and a little better weather you can get, what we in Denmark call (trying to translate) "fabric" does that give meaning in English?

-----

It looks like I hoped - is it right, that it is very resistent against flare/ghosting ?

7. hi Steinar,

These shot are not much. But, do notice the 3 dimensional look, also notice the leaves on the tree behind the tall ship. It is very easy to focus manually on the d700.

Gene

8. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Yes, I se, what you mean, thank you.

Can you maybe answer the flare/ghosting question ?

Have you tryed it - the focus - on a D200 ?

9. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    for manual focus, you want a D60 with its focus indicator bar

10. I recently acquired this lens, but have not had much opportunity to shoot with it (too hot outside) but here is a sample of a very "busy" shot in an antique mall. Just some perspective correction in PS3 and a light "web sharpening". I'm very pleased with the sharpness of the lens - I think it will make some awesome landscape shots. I purchased a Brightscreen (http://www.brightscreen.com/enter.html) for manual focus assist (microprisms and horizontal split screen with rule of thirds crop lines).

Knick-Knack_Shop_1941.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

11. I quite enjoy manual focus nowadays (ironically my D60 has got me back into it, as many of my lens with not AF!).

I quite fancy this - how does corner sharpness compare to the Nikkor 35/2, especially on full frame sensor?

12. The Zeiss outperform the Nikkor in about every aspect apart from minimum focusing distance and AF. This includes both center sharpness and corner sharpness from F/2 to F/8. On FX this is even more evident. Vignette is about the same though.

13. Thanks Paul

I like vignetting, I know it drives some people nuts, so thats not as issue I'd be looking for Zeiss to fix,

With the bigger VF on the D700, I'm much more drawn to the possibility of MF lens.

14. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    The main problem with the Zeiss 35/2 is that the lens is so long!

15. 35 2 Zf

Lens is very, very sharp starting WO. Smooth focusing. Well built. CA control is above average, but it will show some. Will also purple/green fringe at wider apertures in typical PF circumstances (dark objects against brightly lit snow, off water highlights), etc.

A couple of knowledgeable users I know have had duff samples. Mine was fine, but I did have issues with a subsequent 100/2 ZF. So if you buy ensure you have a fair exchange policy just in case. QC is above average, but not perfect.

All in all a very good low-light 'reportage' style lens, but many in ZF line do have some (DoF) field curvature about 3/4s out from center frame - see telltale speed bumps in MTFs on Zeiss reference page (fine detail, 30 lp/mm, resolution drops sharply, recovers sharply, the drops off near edge of frame:

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9/Contents-Frame/8401A54783ED1154C12570F90049667D

The trait is shared by most of the shorter ZFs. The shorter ZFs (50mm and under) also don't perform as well in the extreme frame corners (of an FX camera only) if that is critical to you.

One argument is that they were designed as reportage style lenses, not landscape ones, the other that their designs were laid down when Nikon appeared committed to DX format only, so performance at the outer edges of a 24x36mm FF sensor wasn't called for.

Thus might not be suited for a landscapes where you want to be critical of fine detail performance across the entire frame (FX cameras only).

16. Somtimes i seriously belive you bumped your head and didnt recover.:rolleyes: 

17. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Incredible, innit? :confused: 

18. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    I am not aware of anything special in the Nikon D60 for that ??

19. © DPREVIEW
    [​IMG]

No.7
    The exposure bar, can mimic a rangefinder.. sort off. .-)

© DPREVIEW
    Electronic Rangefinder

As mentioned above the D60 adds an (optional) electronic rangefinder for shooting with lenses that do not offer autofocus on the D60 (non-AFS lenses) or when using manual focus. The display uses the exposure meter to show how far you are behind or in front of the correct focus distance for the focus point selected (which is indicated with a red glow).
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. The D60 has an electronic range finder which you can enable in the menus (its turned Off by default)

It uses the metering bar to display <- or -> at the bottom of the viewfinder, to indicate which way you need to turn lens to achieve focus.

Very cool :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.