Showcase Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 APO Otus

Sorry, but manual focus is for the 70's. I intend to leave it there.
Must say i totally agree with you on this, what am i missing? Why are people swooning over manual focus again. It's crazy to see all these new Zeiss lenses coming out that are manual only. Are we going to go back to film as the default medium? . Seriously, why?

Why? No lens I have used compares to a Zeiss. MF is really quite easy (for LS as well as any static objects) on the Nikon bodies I use (e.g., 810, 750) as well as with the new Sony A7 series, so why not, if the end product is superior, which I, and obviously many others, believe it to be? It's a matter of personal choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
While the East Coast is having a blizzard, the West Coast is soaked in rain but the sun was in and out ...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The biggest knock against the Otus lenses, besides the price and it's weight, is that it's manual focus. For me at least, this is one of the great selling points because of the long focus throw of about 270 degrees. This allows for very precise focusing. If this lens had auto focus, it would be painfully slow.

I have slowly switched to complete manual functions when shooting still life and my compositions have dramatically improved. For me, the slower I go, the better photographs I take.

To complain that the Otus lenses don't have AF, is like complaining that a screwdriver is a terrible hammer.

[...]
I have slowly switched to complete manual functions when shooting still life and my compositions have dramatically improved. For me, the slower I go, the better photographs I take.
[...]
That was exactly what Ansel Adams said about his landscape photography. He took his time composing his 8x10" frames.

Less talk about not liking this lens. Don't like it pls start another thread :)

Back to more images please!

From some abandoned gas station at Death Valley NP.

The biggest knock against the Otus lenses, besides the price and it's weight, is that it's manual focus. For me at least, this is one of the great selling points because of the long focus throw of about 270 degrees. This allows for very precise focusing. If this lens had auto focus, it would be painfully slow.

To complain that the Otus lenses don't have AF, is like complaining that a screwdriver is a terrible hammer.
Same here, agree 100% about the shooting pace related to the quality of images taken. Plus, every picture you get in sharp focus, is twice yours.

overcast light ... D810 + Otus 85mm

Last edited:
Yet another ... @ f/1.4

Exactly!

Scalpel sharp at f1.8. Gotta love this lens.

Let's be honest, it's tough to see a difference in DOF between f1.4 and f1.8. So if you don't actually need the extra light of the 1.4G, the 1.8G is a dream come true.
The current crop of Nikon F1.8 lenses are in my view quite something, as they are lightweight, modestly priced and have excellent optics. If you can't create excellent photos with them, it probably ain't the fault of the lens.

Both Lloyd Chambers and Ming Thein are raving about the optics of this lens.
If it had AF I would be sorely tempted. Thank goodness it's MF!
LC seems to rave about the latest big thing, especially from Zeiss. As a journalist, he has to create stories to generate clicks, what better way than to hype a lens? I'm sure for some pros this lens earns its keep by impressing clients; "Wow, he uses THAT lens, he must be good." And no I'm not kidding. :)

overcast light ... D810 + Otus 85mm

Beautiful capture of a beautiful pup--seems to have character (especially 1st shot) far beyond his/her age too. jt

The pup has grown so fast ...

That is a wonderful example of the exquisite capabilities of that lens and the pooch is gorgeous. But I am not necessarily a fan of razor thin DOF in portraits. Simply not my cup of tea, but the section in sharp focus is SHARP. Great bokeh too. Might be the only OOF background example that I have seen that could rival my beloved 85/1.4 (Not the new one).

That is a wonderful example of the exquisite capabilities of that lens and the pooch is gorgeous. But I am not necessarily a fan of razor thin DOF in portraits. Simply not my cup of tea, but the section in sharp focus is SHARP. Great bokeh too. Might be the only OOF background example that I have seen that could rival my beloved 85/1.4 (Not the new one).
Thank you, Rick, for your comments.
I agree that the 85mm/1.4D has a special signature in terms of its bokeh.

Here's another ///

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom