Zeiss coming with SLR-lenses for other brand?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by johan1967, Sep 1, 2008.

1. johan1967

johan1967

Jun 30, 2008
    Netherlands
    On the Zeiss-website you can find this picture:

01a_en.

It suggests that Zeiss is coming with SLR-lenses for another brand. Canon perhaps? Or Sony?

2. well.... that's ok with me
    the more lenses they sell
    the more $ for Research and Development they will have to create MORE LENSES

3. HansV

HansV Guest

ZC?

I noticed that message on their site a few moments ago. I suppose it will be ZC: for Canon. Hopefully they'll create more new exciting lenses in the near future.

4. Tektrnica

Tektrnica Guest

:D  :D  :D  My Fav. lens maker :D  heheheh

5. Why OH why don't they make AF lens :confused: 

6. The current ZF/ZK/ZS lens designs don't lend to AF since none are internal focus. The focus would be very slow. I'd much rather have good MF than any kind of AF, but I realize I'm in the minority here. It'll be interesting to see which mount they adapt the lenses to here, I'm sort of assuming the sony/minolta mount, since they already make lenses for that mount. I'm not sure they'll do a ZE (canon) since they would need to add electronically controlled aperture and make it chipped. That alone changes the construction considerably, compared to the differences for the Pentax/Nikon/m42 mounts.

7. The Zeiss POV: For AF to be fast, quiet, reliable, etc and still be a good lens one apparently has to design the lens FOR AF, which necessitates compromises in optical/mechanical construction quality...then it wouldn't be a Zeiss lens anymore. Also, these ZF lenses are really inexpensive for Zeiss to design...they've been to this barbeque before, many times. AF designs would be much more time($$$)consuming for them. My $.02.

8. Pluto, granted that AF lens would be expensive for them to design and produce however, even though that they are a smaller company than Nikon I'm sure that they have the knowhow to produce AF lens. As to your remark that AF lens aren't well built or as good as manual fixed focus lens I think that is a misnomer, look at many of Nikon's lens such as the AFs 200mm f/2 VR or their AFs 300mm f2.8 VR and many more. I think that Zeiss is converting their lens for Nikon, and other brands for the money with out having to spend it on development costs. Zeiss has the knowledge to produce AF lens but, for what reason I don't know won't do it stubborn or lazy and thats this guys 3 cents. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  9. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    I think the main reason that Zeiss do not make lenses specifically in Canon EOS mount is that the lens/camera interface is entirely electronic and proprietary. The current Zeiss lineup is the complete opposite - entirely mechanical and using "open" platforms such as Nikon AIS and Pentax K mounts.

For Zeiss to make a Canon mount series, they would at very least need to build in an electronically controlled diaphragm, since it is not mechanically controlled as with Nikon and Pentax mounts. Since Canon does not licence this interface Zeiss would be forced to reverse engineer it, as Sigma and others do. That goes against the Zeiss philosophy, they would only build such a lens if they had a license from Canon to guarantee 100% compatibility. Do you think Canon would do that?? For the same reason, Zeiss do not make "chipped" ZF lenses for Nikon mount.

Of course, Zeiss could make Canon mount lenses with no electronic interface, metering would be stop-down only. But that's little better than using Nikon mount lens with an adapter. That's already what many do, so I guess Zeiss sees little point in making a Canon mount line.

10. They do build some AF lenses for Sony already... Would love to see some of these come for us MF-impaired folks to Nikonland!

11. I've just started to replace my Nikon AF primes with Zeiss ZF lenses. Todate I've the 35 f/2 and the 100 f/2 Macro. Granted that it may seem that going to MF is stepping backwards but I getting a higher rate of "Keepers" with MF and the images are outstanding! All this works extremely well with both my D700 and D2X.

12. About 8 years ago Zeiss did make nine AF lenses for the Contax N system with electronically controlled diaphragm. I have 3 of them. They are very similar with the Canon EOS lenses. Some canon users converted and re-chipped those Zeiss lenses to Canon EOS mounts and they worked axactly as Canon AF lenses.

13. johan1967

johan1967

Jun 30, 2008
    Netherlands
    The new mount is now called ZE. This could be Canon (with their EF-mount).

If this is true, I think we will not see any new Zeiss-lenses for Nikon at the Photokina.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.