Zeiss lenses - Very interesting

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Claus, Dec 20, 2005.

1. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    That's the rumor. It will be interesting to see a premium lens maker getting into the 3rd party SLR lens market, a space that was previously filled by companies who's strategy was being cheaper than Nikon & Canon. If Zeiss can do it at a profit, it will be a wise move. One big challenge they face is keeping up with the increasing use of electronics in lenses (VR, AF-S).

So is Leica next? :wink:

2. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    If they produce the quality glass they are known for, and stay away from zooms I will be in line to purchase.

3. No zooms. Just the classical manual lenses like the 85mm F/1.4 Planar with a Nikon mount.

Official anouncement later today.

4. waterlenz

waterlenz Guest

Coffee cup and ballpoint pen. I gather actual lenses were shown earlier - this is all over dpreview.
    Tom

5. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    Unfortunatly, all they "announced" is that they will be telling us more on December 28. :mad:

6. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    Interesting observation....

The pictures floating around look like manual focus. Did Zeiss choose to announce this now, because the D200, the first reasonably priced, large quantity DSLR that can meter with manual lenses, is finally shipping?

7. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    This is a really weird time to make any big announcements. :confused:

8. And it will be months before they are available, just like the Zeiss Ikon and the ZM lenses.

Proably the lenses will be built by Cosina also.

9. All that teasing, just to announce another tease!

Not that I won't be checking in on the 28th. Or that I would know a CZ lens if it landed on my toe.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I have a Zeiss Tessar (75mm f/3.5) that had a magical quality to it. Inexplicatively, it could not take a bad photo. Even the oof ones had a nice quality. It was amazing. Sadly, the camera to which it was attached no longer functions. If they can reproduce that effect in a lens for my D100, I expect I'm in for spending a whole lot of money.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, maybe something in the 30mm range. Although if these are going to be non-CPU, manual focus lenses I doubt I'll be interested. I know some people love those old manual primes but they just don't suit my shooting style/habits. It' doesn't have to be an AF-S VR lens, but I at least want screw-type AF and full metering support.

13. I just want a normal af lens with good bokeh - if the 55 f/1.4 Planar*T is reintroduced with AF, I believe I could finally be satisfied. I purchased the sigma 30 as a stop gap measure, but with the whole rechipping issue, I think it is going back. I'm sure excited about the zeiss possibility.

14. Derrel

Derrel Guest

Noted Leica writer Erwin Puts reviews the "theory behind" the very new Zeiss ZM lens line's designs here http://www.imx.nl/photosite/comments/c015.html
    and in a part 2 of a 3-part series on these lenses located at http://www.imx.nl/photosite/comments/c016.html He goes into some of the opto-mechanical aspects of three Biogon lenses, a 25mm,a 28mm,and a 35mm, then a 50mm f/2 Planar-T design which Puts says is as good as the Summicron lens,and a bit better in terms of curvature of field,which is very good complimentary. Read his conclusions,and the third part of the series, and you'll have little doubt that the Zeiss ZM lenses for Leica M-mount means the leaked ZF means F-mount. As far as metering compatibility,I have the D2x...to me that means there's no absolute NEED for CPU,or P-series leses from Zeiss. I don't think there's a LOT of market demand however for manual focusing AiS type lenses,like the beautifully-made Voigtlander SL series of F-mount primes like 40mm/2 Asph.,75mm/2.5,etc,etc and sold thru www.cameraquest.com in the US. I forget sometimes,to change the non-CPU Lens Data field on the x quite when mounting an AiS mount lens,so hey Zeiss, P-series those babies,pretty please! I would LOVE to see a Zeiss 110-mm ZF Macro, and would like to see a very small,very high quality 85mm of f/2 aperture which means a profile not much bigger than a 50mm 1.8 AF-D. The thing I miss most about the older manual focus Nikkors is the small profile,short overall lengths, and 52mm filter size from 20mm 3.5 to 50mm, 85mm to 200mm, all SMALL lenses. These current ZM lenses Erwin reviews sound like pretty danged good lens designs,and so I really hope there's a nice ZF line introduced soon; maybe, a ZF line would be fodder for the Lens Lust forum. Price might play a role in the success or failure of a ZF line.