Zenfolio Data Integrity

Real Name
Dan
I'm just posting this as an FYI for other users.

I just discovered an issue with the files on my Zenfolio site. Many of the files have been renamed to a meaningless(to me) nine digit number with no file extension. Formats have not been altered but the file extension just dropped from the name.

I don't know if that matters to others but it causes an annoying issue for me. I upload to my site with the original file name so that when I sell an image if I need to rework it to a different size/format I can use the file name to find the original in my files. Granted it is just an annoyance and not a critical issue but depending on one's workflow could be meaningful. Also without the file extension if the file is downloaded or linked to another site it is not recognized. Again it is just an annoyance because the file format has not been changed and simply renaming the file with the extension included corrects the problem. But this has been done to dozens if not hundreds(I'm still checking) of images on my site. Thus far I haven't seen any pattern to which files have been renamed. Not all folders on my site and not all images in a given folder. It does not appear to have happened to recently uploaded images.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I have mentioned before that Justin was discovering that random videos were "disappearing" from his Zenfolio website. Hard to notice because they were generally older videos. Zenfolio's only answer was "just re-load them". No help - no problem solving.

Justin didn't try to download any of the videos. He uploaded to SM using his original files on his computer. If I changed services, that is how I would do it.

Real Name
Dan
...Justin didn't try to download any of the videos. He uploaded to SM using his original files on his computer. If I changed services, that is how I would do it.
Looks like Zenfolio made that decision for me :mad:

Well even if they didn't admit there was an issue at least they recognized it and did something to fix it. According to the recent announcements re.the technical upgrades they recently completed.

Real Name
Ken
I'm just posting this as an FYI for other users.

I just discovered an issue with the files on my Zenfolio site. Many of the files have been renamed to a meaningless(to me) nine digit number with no file extension. Formats have not been altered but the file extension just dropped from the name.

I don't know if that matters to others but it causes an annoying issue for me. I upload to my site with the original file name so that when I sell an image if I need to rework it to a different size/format I can use the file name to find the original in my files. Granted it is just an annoyance and not a critical issue but depending on one's workflow could be meaningful. Also without the file extension if the file is downloaded or linked to another site it is not recognized. Again it is just an annoyance because the file format has not been changed and simply renaming the file with the extension included corrects the problem. But this has been done to dozens if not hundreds(I'm still checking) of images on my site. Thus far I haven't seen any pattern to which files have been renamed. Not all folders on my site and not all images in a given folder. It does not appear to have happened to recently uploaded images.
I am wondering if this is related to the data migration to IBM's cloud platform. Nonetheless, this is not a small issue to me as file names are critical to tracking and working with people who have copies of images I uploaded. I have not yet looked to see if this is the case for me, but if so, it will make it a lot easier, or perhaps harder, to migrate, as the data there will be worthless. Anything uploaded should be a derivative of my master files in LR Classic, but still, it is nice to verify.

--Ken

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I am wondering if this is related to the data migration to IBM's cloud platform. Nonetheless, this is not a small issue to me as file names are critical to tracking and working with people who have copies of images I uploaded. I have not yet looked to see if this is the case for me, but if so, it will make it a lot easier, or perhaps harder, to migrate, as the data there will be worthless. Anything uploaded should be a derivative of my master files in LR Classic, but still, it is nice to verify.

--Ken
I agree with Ken. This is no “small” issue. I would open a case with Zenfolio.

Real Name
Dan
I agree with Ken. This is no “small” issue. I would open a case with Zenfolio.
No point. I won't be around long enough to get it straightened out. My account expires in a couple of weeks and I'm not renewing. But now rather than simply transferring my galleries I'll be starting from scratch. I guess that's one way to freshen things up.

Real Name
Ken
I just looked at a few images and they seemed to display their proper file names. I did not attempt to download any of the files, so I am curious if you could further explain how you found this issue. I'd like to see if I can replicate it or see if it was isolated and not impacting every account.

Thanks,

--Ken

Real Name
Dan
I just looked at a few images and they seemed to display their proper file names. I did not attempt to download any of the files, so I am curious if you could further explain how you found this issue. I'd like to see if I can replicate it or see if it was isolated and not impacting every account.
Not sure what you mean when you say "display" the proper file names. Zenfolio displays titles not file names. Unless you change the title the default is to automatically fill the title field with the file name when you upload the image. The only place the actual file name shows up is in the information panel. How I noticed the issue was by downloading complete galleries. Zen packs them and downloads them as zip files. When unpacked the renamed files don't have the file extension so thumbnails don't display and won't open in any photo viewing software. At first I thought it was an issue with the compression process when the zip files were being created. But when I went and looked at the files in my galleries I found the problem. See examples below.

Contents of a downloaded zip file. The blank thumbnails are all files that were renamed by Zenfolio.

p4119383204-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Example of a file that has been renamed. Note the file name in the info block in the upper right of this image.

p4119380819-4.jpg

And one that hasn't been renamed in the same gallery.

p4119380818-4.jpg

Real Name
Dan
I suspect it happens during a data migration or data recovery that they did at some time in the past. They likely assign file names in their system to ensure unique names. At some point the system somehow over wrote my file names. I haven't spent much time trying to zero in on how extensive the problem is or when it happened. Nothing I've uploaded in the past year appears to be affected.

Real Name
Ken
Not sure what you mean when you say "display" the proper file names. Zenfolio displays titles not file names. Unless you change the title the default is to automatically fill the title field with the file name when you upload the image. The only place the actual file name shows up is in the information panel. How I noticed the issue was by downloading complete galleries. Zen packs them and downloads them as zip files. When unpacked the renamed files don't have the file extension so thumbnails don't display and won't open in any photo viewing software. At first I thought it was an issue with the compression process when the zip files were being created. But when I went and looked at the files in my galleries I found the problem. See examples below.

Contents of a downloaded zip file. The blank thumbnails are all files that were renamed by Zenfolio.

View attachment 1678156

Example of a file that has been renamed. Note the file name in the info block in the upper right of this image.

View attachment 1678157

And one that hasn't been renamed in the same gallery.

View attachment 1678158
Quick update. I was finally able to find a bit of time to download a couple of galleries from ZF. While the download speeds were quite slow, I unzipped the downloads and my files were correctly named. I chose both older and newer galleries to see if there was a difference, but all were fine.

--Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom